Apfelwine is in!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman

Reaction score
I did decide to put the carboy to use and threw in a batch of EdWort's Apfelwine. SWMBO helped with the batch, which was nice to have her join in on the process :)

Now, all I have to do is wait. And wait. And wait. It definitely was fun to get these batched going, but I kinda fell like I've blown my load. The evil thought of getting another kit entered my mind, but I'd rather live to see the fruits of my labor rather than be murdered in my sleep by a peeved wife!

Thanks again to everyone here who has made this an easier first time, and to EdWort for the apfelwine recipe!

:mug:

Just did my first batch too!

Instead of wine yeast I used US-04 yeast, which is an english ale yeast which gives it more of a sweeter taste, like strongbow!

I have Apfelwein (carbonated) that has been bottled 11 weeks this Sat, however there is only one bottle left, with an additional bottle stashed away for extended aging. This was my first batch, made per Edwort's recipe with Red Star Montrachet yeast. My only regret was finding out, just a week or 2 ago, that it really comes into its own after about 3 months (give or take) in the bottle. More than half was gone after only 4 weeks in the bottle--I like to share my brews with friends and relatives. I would try a few after 3-4 weeks, just to satisfy your curiousity, but try to wait at least 8 weeks if you can. (I had it in the primary for 7 weeks too). Time for another batch! Be patient and enjoy.

Drinking: Holiday Ale
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein
Brewing this weekend: NB Cream Ale

Just did my first batch too!

Instead of wine yeast I used US-04 yeast, which is an english ale yeast which gives it more of a sweeter taste, like strongbow!

Billy, curious, did you get krausen when using the US-04 and what was your FG?

did you use nutrients? i must have picked up the wrong ones - still got some wonderful eggs greeting me when i came home....!

Billy, curious, did you get krausen when using the US-04 and what was your FG?

I have one batch fermenting with Nottingham. Nice Krausen after 1 week. I didn't have any during 1st week of fermentation... It has been 2 weeks nice.. it is still bubbling through my blow off.
I think the FG would be around 1.01 range... it'll be higher than the original .09 range... I like it dry, but wife likes it to be sweeter like horsby.

No significant kraeusen yet on my Apfelwein, which has been sitting on a blend of Koelsch and Cali Ale yeast for about 4 days now. Just the typical millions of tiny bubbles rising up from the sediment.

Back