I've found a cure for the common cold!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well part of, well part of it for me any way.

I've had a crappy cough cold thing for around a month. The worst part of it is my hears are blocked and it sounds like I'm under water.

I've been trying to sort my music out (over 250,000 tracks) and reduce it to a size I can back it up. The problem is I a lot of the songs sound better than I hear them at present due to my hearing problem.

The solution: move my 150 watt DTS amp up to the 8x8 computer room along with the subwoofer. Now I can feel the music "Literally" :rockin:

Good Job the neighbours are away this week.:fro:

If you want to clear out that cold, just whip up a batch of spicy chili and keep your head over it while you eat... well don't let the snot drip in it though.

Try some Whiskey, lemon, honey, and hot water ( heavy on the whiskey )

It tastes like #$&% but it seems to help.

I use the whiskey/lemon/honey/water approach as well except:

Add coffee, tea, or chocolate to the water.
Put honey on some wheat toast.
Sip an ounce or two of whiskey.
Have a lemon flavored cough lozenge.

Tastes much better that way.

I'm normally against meds in general, but I often get an infection/cough when I get a cold, so I try to keep my sinuses open. I recommend psudoephedrine for clearing out, and I use Delsym cough syrup for coughs. The most common cough med can also aggravate a cough if you have a bronchitis, so I'd avoid that.

I've also tried Buckley's cough syrup. I can tell you it works, but maybe only because once you taste it, you wish you were dead, and you forget all about your cold. Swear to God it's got "Cedar oils" in it. And lots of other nasty stuff.

Nothing opens up sinuses like hot Chinese mustard. Put few spoonfuls on a bratwurst, or slather some on an egg roll & munch 'em on down; may take a few egg rolls, or a couple of brats, but it's good for you. Regards, GF.

You're obviously using crap whiskey! :confused:

And you for got the cloves....

2 1/2 oz Irish whiskey
1 slice fresh lemon
2-4 cloves
1 tsp brown sugar
hot water

Pour the whiskey into a heat safe glass. Push cloves into the fresh lemon and place into the whiskey. Fill with hot water and dissolve in the sugar. Serve immediately.

Sorry to hear about your cold Orfy. I got a pretty mean one from your neck of the woods when I was there last spring. :( (Well I think I picked it up in Shropshire.)

I was disappointed, but not surprised that you didn't actually have a cure;)... but glad you can hear your music again!

Of course, the only cure for a cold (virus) is time and rest. All one can do is treat the symptoms. Alcohol (over a certain quantity threshold) can decrease the body's immune system response, therefore prolonging a cold. So, aside from Nyquil, I stay away from it when I'm sick.

Go to a Manchester United game wearing sky blue. They will kick the snot out of you free of charge. Actually, they would kick the crap out of you at the same time, so, no more constipation.....Double whammy.

No need to thank me. :)

While I normally don't advocate going to the doc for a cold, it's been a month and what you're describing sounds a lot like eustachian tube dysfunction. That's what got me to go in last winter when I was fighting with a cold. I can deal with a stuffy/running nose, coughing, generally feeling like crap... but man I find that whole "clogged ear" feeling and hearing everything muffled is just too annoying to me.

While I normally don't advocate going to the doc for a cold, it's been a month and what you're describing sounds a lot like eustachian tube dysfunction. That's what got me to go in last winter when I was fighting with a cold. I can deal with a stuffy/running nose, coughing, generally feeling like crap... but man I find that whole "clogged ear" feeling and hearing everything muffled is just too annoying to me.

True... could be a secondary bacterial infection, for which antibiotics would help.

I was getting a lot of wax which seems to of settled down and my hearing is back to 50% rather than 30%

The neighbours will be pleased. I'm in a Semi so their bedroom is on the other side of the wall from the sub.

sorry for the little OT question, but I was just wondering if bacteria that cause colds, running nose and stuff could contaminate beer? I have a cold right now, and was making a starter a couple of days ago and it was contaminated (it had strong dms "aroma"). Yesterday I made another starter and now it also smells funky...not cooked cabbage tough. So what do you think? Is it just coincidence, or it's better not to touch beer when you've got cold?

I was getting a lot of wax which seems to of settled down and my hearing is back to 50% rather than 30%

The neighbors will be pleased. I'm in a duplex so there bedroom is on the otherside of the wall from the sub.

I made that American for ya so the less world aware will understand. No need to thank me. Honestly, I insist! Stop thanking me! :)

sorry for the little OT question, but I was just wondering if bacteria that cause colds, running nose and stuff could contaminate beer? I have a cold right now, and was making a starter a couple of days ago and it was contaminated (it had strong dms "aroma"). Yesterday I made another starter and now it also smells funky...not cooked cabbage tough. So what do you think? Is it just coincidence, or it's better not to touch beer when you've got cold?

Most colds are caused by viruses. Bacterial colds are relatively rare and more associated with immunocompromised individuals (elderly, AIDS, etc.) and/or as a secondary infection stemming from a viral cold. Viruses that cause colds (Rhinoviruses, et al.) are sensitive to their environment. That is to say, they don't do well outside the human body. They may only last 3 or so hours outside the body, and that depends how long the water vapor/droplet in which they were expelled lasts.

All a virus is, is a piece of DNA (or RNA) wrapped by a protein coat. Depending on how one defines "life", they're not even really "alive". Yet they have a purpose and that is to replicate. They can only do this in the cell(s) of another life form. So, they won't affect your beer. Just use normal practices of cleanliness, keeping in mind that all of the mucus your producing and exhaling/expelling could carry other bacteria from your body ("normal flora") with it. So, you might take extra care to wash your hands and not snot all over your beer.;)

So, they won't affect your beer. Just use normal practices of cleanliness, keeping in mind that all of the mucus your producing and exhaling/expelling could carry other bacteria from your body ("normal flora") with it. So, you might take extra care to wash your hands and not snot all over your beer.;)

Ok, I get it, sneezing over my starter is not a good idea ;-)

But what if I had some bacterial infection? Like i.e. sinus inflamation? Would such bacteria contaminate my beer?

Back