Lager/diacetyl rest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin lager this past friday. It's been fermenting away since saturday morning; krausen hasn't begun to fall yet. My problem is that I'm leaving for a weeks vacation on saturday morning and I need to do a diacetyl rest. If I do the rest tommorrow can I leave it at 60F for a week and begin lagering when I get back or is that too long at that temp? Any suggestions?

OG 1.052
Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager
Stick-on thermometer reads 45/46F

Well, if you pitched the yeast at fermentation temperature, you may not even need a diacetyl rest anyway. I sometimes don't, expecially with that yeast.

I'd leave it at fermentation temperature, and if it needs a d-rest later, you can always do it later. Actually, even at fermentation temperature, the yeasts will clean up diacetyl, too, if given enough time. To do a d-rest before 75% of the fermentation is done isn't a good idea- but you can always do it later if you need to.

Pitched at 70f and it went directly into fermenator prechilled to 44F. I think I'll just wait and see if it needs it later

Diacetyl is cleaned up (slowly) during lagering as well, so you could always lager a little bit longer to be safe.

I never do a rest with my lagers and never have any signs of diacetyl in my beers. However I ferment for 14 days at 50 degrees then lager for 2 months at 36 degrees.

Back