seat-forward SS faucet under $30.00

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockybottom

Reaction score
Just to pass along for others I just bought 4 of them.

http://rapidswholesale.com/Merchant...duct_Code=8P490&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

I asked about them being ventmatic and got this reply:

"Perlick no longer calls this the ventmatic faucet but it is ventmatic.
The spout can be removed for cleaning and the internal parts are not
exposed to air."

I have nothing to gain with these and their customer service was excellent!!

Ventimatics or the design of such was taken over by Shirron. Perlick is completely separate. I'd be curious as to the brand on the carton. It's either going to be Perlick or Shirron and I can't tell by the picture. If it's neither, then it's not forward sealing.

Bobby_M said:
Ventimatics or the design of such was taken over by Shirron. Perlick is completely separate. I'd be curious as to the brand on the carton. It's either going to be Perlick or Shirron and I can't tell by the picture. If it's neither, then it's not forward sealing.

I have 6 of these. They are in fact Perlick forward seal, all stainless, with a removable nozzle.

Ventmatics are in fact different, and were formally known as Shirron. The difference in manufacture is subtle but the price difference is substantial.

I am thrilled with my Perlicks and the price from Rapids was spot on, I bought mine for $27.00 each during a promotion. The difference in manufacture between the two is only really evident in how cleanly honed the inside chambers are on the Ventmatics. The Perlicks in comparison a simply rough milled. But they work just fine.

Perlick is great but whomever you spoke to at Rapids is mis-informed. And, IIRC, you have to have a FEIN to purchase from RW at those costs.

Designed for trouble-free performance and crafted with the highest quality materials and workmanship. Teflon friction ring on lever handle for smooth, easy operation. Smooth bored spout and interior. Forged brass body. 8P464 tarnish free brass shines like new without heavy polishing. 8P490 stainless steel body, handle lever, cone shaped shaft, and spout. Innovative seat-forward design makes it the most sanitary faucet available.

who's to say someone else other than Perlick or Shirron isn't making them too. China is big on cheap copy's... :rolleyes:

Good buy. I got lucky, there is a guy that pops up on eBay every now and then selling new Shirron/Ventmatics for like $26 each and I was looking for some when he was selling a lot of 30.

KENTUCKYBREWER said:
who's to say someone else other than Perlick or Shirron isn't making them too. China is big on cheap copy's... :rolleyes:

Very well could be, but I wouldn't jump on them either. It's just when the seller throws around BOTH Perlick and Ventimatic refering to the same product, I'd be reluctant.

There's also www.superprod.com who has Perlicks for $29 but you have to call.

These are is fact Perlick, I am sure the person I talked to was not a salesman and did not know they are two brands. But rest assured these are Perlick.

I installed four of these on my keezer last night and they are wonderful.

Just arrived back home from a business trip to TX and my 2 faucets were waiting for me. Wooohooo!
FWIW...all paperwork and the faucets themself are stamped Perlick.

Bobby_M said:
There's also www.superprod.com who has Perlicks for $29 but you have to call.

Thanks for the link! I ordered 4 faucets and shanks last night ($31 each, no need to call). I don't even have a chest freezer yet, but at this price I'm guessing you can't do much better. :tank:

I'm tempted; I'm wondering if I can fit five kegs in the kegerator. I know I can squeeze five ball-locks in there, but I'm eyeballing a 3-gallon pin lock that I can pick up fairly cheap. They've also got three-inch nipple shanks for like $12, so I could get myself all hooked up with a fifth faucet for probably $50 with shipping... hmmm......

Bobby_M said:
Thanks man, they must have recently added these because when I got mine, the SS faucets they had on the site were the cheaper rear sealing design also from Perlick so it was really confusing. I notice that those are gone, the real deal is on the page and now they're $3 more.

I just called and referenced the $29 pricing and they still honored it. Tax and Shipping though- 5 @ $163 to my door.

I'm thinking of ordering a couple with my economic stimulus check, but am kegging illiterate. (I'm using picnic taps right now).

I'm going to build a four keg system for now.

1) Are shanks the only other thing I need to complete the set-up?
2) What type of shanks do I buy (shanks with flanges, nipple shanks, etc...).
3) What length of shanks (assuming I'm going to eventually use them on a tower, or a 1" freezer collar)? Right now, I'm just drilling a hole through the front door of a refrigerator).
4) I have a couple of regular cheepo faucets that I am going to use as well (upgrade in phases). Do I use the same type of shanks for those?
5) Is the faucet spanner wrench a must have? Not worried about the price, but if I don't need it why buy it?

I apologize for all of the noob questions, but I know that I will get a straight answer here. Thanks.

Bobby_M said:
Those are the same shanks I used to and I already have 5 kegs but only 4 faucets. What the heck was I thinking?

I recently went from 4 to 5... can you tell which one was added last?

CIMG2155.JPG

McKBrew said:
I'm thinking of ordering a couple with my economic stimulus check, but am kegging illiterate. (I'm using picnic taps right now).

I'm going to build a four keg system for now.

1) Are shanks the only other thing I need to complete the set-up?
2) What type of shanks do I buy (shanks with flanges, nipple shanks, etc...).
3) What length of shanks (assuming I'm going to eventually use them on a tower, or a 1" freezer collar)? Right now, I'm just drilling a hole through the front door of a refrigerator).
4) I have a couple of regular cheepo faucets that I am going to use as well (upgrade in phases). Do I use the same type of shanks for those?
5) Is the faucet spanner wrench a must have? Not worried about the price, but if I don't need it why buy it?

I apologize for all of the noob questions, but I know that I will get a straight answer here. Thanks.

I'm not a veteran either- I'm just setting mine up now...but I can give you my own feedback and maybe somebody with a few more notches on their belt can chime in too.

1. beverage hose, gas hose, clamps, manifold- etc. etc.
2. I bought nipple shanks. Personal preference. I like nipples.
3. I bought 4 inch- my collar is an 8x2, plus I insulated... 3 seemed short so went with 4 and would rather have too much than not enough.
4. Most likely.

Tower shank and a straight shank are very different beasts.

Shanks for a tower are curved and are short.
faucet3.jpg

A spanning wrench (see micromatic.com) is critical for a tower.
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/tools-accessories-pid-MP-042.html

Note this has two sides. One for the faucet and one for the locknut.
You need this because of the tight space inside the tower.

This is different that a faucet wrench. You can get away with a towel wrapped channel lock, but you run the risk of undertightening and beer shower.

olllllo said:
Tower shank and a straight shank are very different beasts.

Shanks for a tower are curved and are short.
faucet3.jpg

Yup, should have figured that out.

Let's figure it like this....

I'm going to be coming out of the front of a refigerator for the the time being. Four taps, Two with the nice faucets, two with standard faucets. I already have the standard guys. So I should order....

1) 2-forward sealing faucets
2) 4- 3" nipple shanks
3) More gas line/manifold to support 4 kegs.

Do I need any extra washers/o-rings that aren't included with above?

McKBrew said:
Do I need any extra washers/o-rings that aren't included with above?
It really depends where you order from. Place like Northern Brewer break everything up into separate piece (shank, nut, washer, tail piece, etc.) Other vendors sell them as a shank assembly. You just have to look at what you are getting from your particular vendor.

Back