Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ogri said:
:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

That sounds like an EPIC neighbor to have:fro: Could imagine much worse.

As long as he keeps the damage contained to his property I'm g2g.

Went to ruby Tuesday's to eat last night because I had a Christmas gift card. I knew the tap selection was going to be limited but I asked anyway.

What do you guys have on draft?
Server: BMC, Sam A, Blue moon, blue moon seasonal, and I suggest the Sam Adams seasonal. Their winter lager, is a delicious winter ale.
Me: (shakes head)
SWMBO: (trying to prevent me from educating him about something he probably doesn't care about anyway) "Just order it."
Me: yes give me the winter lager ale :)
(Swmbo shoots me a dirty look)

At least swmbo knew, and could tell me why he was wrong, when he walked away. Teaching her well, even though she is a wine and not beer drinker. I was so proud :)

This happened to me on a golf course once, we ordered a 6 pack of Yuengling and got charged the import price, we didn't care to argue but joked that it was actually from PA. Later that round the cart girl came back around after asking her manager with a partial refund. We applauded the service and tipped her the refunded amount extra on our next 6 pack.
You got to like any guy who is ordering six packs on the golf course and flirting with the beer-cart girl.

"Longest drive and closest to the pin"

:mug:

Not necessarily funny, actually more frustrating, but my FIL swears all beer tastes the same. This is the same FIL who finished of a third of a bottle of Chimay Blue and said it was "Ok. Cold, wet, beer." I love the guy, but honestly!

I hate a frustrating experience at BW3's last week. I know the bar has local craft beers and I know they rotate them fairly regularly, however they never put a list out in the dining room.

So I ask the waitress what beers they have on tap and she swears there is nothing that is not on the back of the menu. Of course those are your usual nation wide brand commercial beers. So, rather than argue, I tell her I'll need a minute, get up, walk into the bar and ask the bartender. I come back to the table and she returns and I say "Do you guys have3 Flyod's Zombie Dust?" She replies "Of course we do, we carry gumballhead, zombie dust, and dreadnaught..."

WTF.

I hate a frustrating experience at BW3's last week. I know the bar has local craft beers and I know they rotate them fairly regularly, however they never put a list out in the dining room.

So I ask the waitress what beers they have on tap and she swears there is nothing that is not on the back of the menu. Of course those are your usual nation wide brand commercial beers. So, rather than argue, I tell her I'll need a minute, get up, walk into the bar and ask the bartender. I come back to the table and she returns and I say "Do you guys have3 Flyod's Zombie Dust?" She replies "Of course we do, we carry gumballhead, zombie dust, and dreadnaught..."

WTF.

I always walk up to the bar and read the tap handles at BW3's. It just saves the waitress from stumbling through trying to figure out whats on tap. :(

WTF.

I stopped feeling bad for you when I read this...

Oh bartenders... sigh
At least she was really cute

Small selection on tap, but decent. BMC, guiness, sam adams, and BMC "crafts": blue moon, goose island. I had a goose island christmas ale. Not the best, drinkable for sure, but I see they have some bottles in the fridge that look like sierra nevada...

Me "what do you have in bottles there?" (pointing towards the SN)

her, not even looking "bud bud light bud light platinum coors light miller light blue moon blue moon seasonal, uhmm..."

me, interupting the run-on BMC list "is that sierra nevada I see there?" (pointing)

her "oh yeah, um, i think its like a pale ale. kinda hoppy, i never had it though" (no reference to the red bottle that I am assuming is celebration ale)

me, allowing her he ignorance since she is cute as hell, "I'll take the SN"

her, handing me the bottle, "oh wait its an... um (reading) extra IPA, is that still ok?"

torpedo, yes please. I gave her her tip and just turned around. It amazed me how ignorant a server could be. If she was the greezy looking dude serving down the other way, he would have caught a little more hell. But she smiled purdy. :drunk:

Yeah,this reminds me of this cute waitress my wife & I got to be friends with at bedub's. She always made sure to wait on us,& we gave her some good tips for it. Too bad she's moved on...she was a bit more knowledgable than the others.

unionrdr said:
Yeah,this reminds me of this cute waitress my wife & I got to be friends with at bedub's. She always made sure to wait on us,& we gave her some good tips for it. Too bad she's moved on...she was a bit more knowledgable than the others.

Did you train her yourself?

Well,we did educate her on some of the beers on tap. She would also turn us on to others,as well as drinks they came up with that she thought we'd like. She was just the coolest for that sort of thing. She actually liked the stories I'd tell about some beers they had on tap at the time. I do miss her at the bedub's at the mall. Well,that,& the hip huggers...:rockin:

I work at a brewery and a customer asked it he could have a porter. We told him we don't have one on tap. He asked if we could make one. Puzzled we asked if he understood the brewing process? He said no just mix a stout and an ipa. Strange people

I work at a brewery and a customer asked it he could have a porter. We told him we don't have one on tap. He asked if we could make one. Puzzled we asked if he understood the brewing process? He said no just mix a stout and an ipa. Strange people

Originally, porter was a mix of the beers on tap. The style we call porter was probably an approximation of that flavor. However, stout and ipa sounds might specific (and not quite right).

charliefoxtrot said:
Originally, porter was a mix of the beers on tap. The style we call porter was probably an approximation of that flavor. However, stout and ipa sounds might specific (and not quite right).

Sorry but that's rubbish.

Whilst I'm always reluctant to quote Wikipedia the sources cited in this are sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_(beer)

The mentions of mixes have been fairly conclusively repudiated by multiple sources. Sorry.

jsv1204 said:
Been in NC for two years now. Still can't handle NC "BBQ". It might be growing on me a little, but it isn't BBQ... Not like I know it. KC, Memphis, Texas... All great but Carolina is different... Prob a topic for another meaningless debate thread.

Can't beat a smith fields sandwich and large sweet tea

9:00am Sunday a few years ago

Charlotte airport restaurant/bar
Gentleman (with sunglasses on inside) walks up to bar
Waitress (with nice southern accent): "what can I get you darlin"
Gentleman:" I'll have a bud light"
Waitress: "sorry I can't serve that yet"
Gentleman(a little annoyed): "what do you mean"
Waitress: "state law no alcohol until noon on Sunday"
Gentleman (more annoyed): "what the f*** is that"
Waitress: "NC law says you can't buy alcohol until noon on Sundays"
Gentleman (starting to get mad): "$&@?!#%£€¥*^!!!!"
Waitress: "sir you need to calm down"
Gentleman (full on temper tantrum): "$&@!!?)(/:&;82&,8*{!~*#'sodkt"
Waitress: "if you don't calm down I'm going to call the police"
Gentleman: "F*** your g**d**** f****** state and your g**d*** f****** bulls*** rules" then storms out of restaurant
Made everyone's breakfast show worth while

Gentleman: "F*** your g**d**** f****** state and your g**d*** f****** bulls*** rules" then storms out of restaurant

Haha gotta appease the church folks.

russrob81 said:

Wow, what a shower bag.

He didn't have to be a jackass about it. But I personally think that law is ridiculous and if I were from another country and traveling and was told I couldn't have a drink because it wasn't noon yet, this one day out of the week, I'd feel upset about the illogic of it all. It's a religious based law which goes against the separation of church and state IMO. But again....... He still didn't have to throw a temper tantrum about it. If your old enough to drink like an adult you should be old enough to act like an adult.

KeyWestBrewing said:
He didn't have to be a jackass about it. But I personally think that law is ridiculous and if I were from another country and traveling and was told I couldn't have a drink because it wasn't noon yet, this one day out of the week, I'd feel upset about the illogic of it all. It's a religious based law which goes against the separation of church and state IMO. But again....... He still didn't have to throw a temper tantrum about it. If your old enough to drink like an adult you should be old enough to act like an adult.

I know it's religious based but they find a way around that. Here in NJ you can't buy liquor to take home after 10pm I don't think it's a religion based law but its the law and we have to follow and show did this f***.

Psh, I live in Portland. They're back to drinking PBR again, but this time its ironic. :D :ban:
Trucker hat wearing hipsters were drinking PBR "ironically" the first time around, so what would that make it now?

"Oh I can't drink beer. It's too strong" as she pours another very large glass of 14% wine before moving onto the good brandy.
There's a tavern that I go to occasionally where a few of the women regulars (I've never seen or heard of any men that do this) get their 6oz. glasses of Miller Lite with ice, because "the straight beer is too strong for me".

nmfree said:
Trucker hat wearing hipsters were drinking PBR "ironically" the first time around, so what would that make it now?

There's a tavern that I go to occasionally where a few of the women regulars (I've never seen or heard of any men that do this) get their 6oz. glasses of Miller Lite with ice, because "the straight beer is too strong for me".

Wow! Why don't they just drink seltzer with a thimble of vodka?

Lushife said:
I know it's religious based but they find a way around that. Here in NJ you can't buy liquor to take home after 10pm I don't think it's a religion based law but its the law and we have to follow and show did this f***.

That's lame. Our liquor stores close at 12am and bars are open till 4am.

Not exactly beer related, but close enough I suppose.

I was returning a bottle of mead that I had gotten as a gift. I had saved the bottle for a while, but when I started to hear bad reviews and even worse - the meadery had gone public with that it had been a failed batched, I tried it.

It had fermented in the bottle, which was potentially dangerous, and it tasted sour. So I headed to the store, explained that there was a co2 build up in the bottle and etc.

"Mead all meads are fizzy." - Corrected him, and later walked home with money back for the mead AND extra for the trips, which was more than the mead itself. Naturally, I bought some honey and yeast on my way home instead.

Moral of the story: make your own presents!

Heard a bunch of other stupid stuff about mead too. This one is a personal favorite: "No, thanks. I don't want to try mead, I'm worried people will think I'm a racist."

Back