Jockey box makes my beer super foamy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince805

Reaction score
I made a jockey box using this stainless steel coil. I had to use a section of standard 1/4" beer hose to make one of the connections to a shank. The beer comes out very very foamy, any ideas what the problem/solution could be?

IMG_20120509_165233.jpg

Sorry, I should have added that info. The temp of the keg was ~40, came straight out of my kegerator, then wrapped in an ice blanet and keglove. the co2 was set to ~12psi

12 PSI is wayyy too high.
Try closer to 3 PSI & see what happens.

Edit...Oops...I didn't see how many feet that coil is.
Hmmm...I'd say dial it back & find your sweet spot.
It's still probably somewhere pretty low.

I don't keg so don't quote me, but I've done some reading on it in anticipation of kegging one day. I seem to recall reading somewhere if you get a lot of foaming it's because the pressure drop is too high. Try using a smaller diameter tube on the outlet of the coil or put a reducer in the line just before the tap. Your tube looks pretty wide.

Was the jockey box ices when you tried it?

The thing with jockey boxes too with a coil or cold plates is it difficult to determine what the line resistance will be, so the best thing is to adjust your dispensing pressure up and down till you get a good pour. You are not going to store the beer long term at that pressure so you dont have to be concerned about your carbonation level changing much in your beer.

with that long a coil I think the pressure would need to be much higher then 12PSI

Was the jockey box cold and full of ice? I know this is a stupid question

It looks to me like there's a slight kink in the coil at the lower left corner of the pic, which could explain it. How fast is the beer coming out?

I find on mine I need around 30 psi to get good flow and less foam. The first couple pours are a little fommie but after the coils and beer temp equalize the foam subsides.

image-3633541727.jpg

Back