Help me turn this into something!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillandCo

Reaction score
Here is a picture of a old wooden toy chest my uncle made me back in the day. Its been sitting outside for a couple years and as you can see needs some tlc. It has some sentimental value but i'd like to sand and paint it and turn it into something...

I already have a keezer but i was thinking of a fermentation chamber? Does anyone know If I will run into problems? Also what kind of "cooling device" do you suggest. My girlfriend is going to kill me, I already have to much brewing Sh*t around here.

Hope you guys have some Ideas...

photo-1-2.jpg

To be honest with you its full of crap so I have no Idea...I may need to build a collar if need be, but I don't see that being a huge issue. I just wanted to save something that was old and put it to good use...I have been wanting to build a chamber for a while I just figured this might give me a head start.

It's pretty big Im guessing it should hold at least four 6.5 gallon carboys but may be wrong, I would love to lager in this thing. It would really help on those hot summer days.

Do you see insulating with foam being a problem? I have read DIY Threads but was wondering what would be best with this thing.

looks like you could fit about three layers of bottles in there for long term aging if you built some removable bottle racks to drop in. Then it would be real treasure chest.

I just measured a carboy with airlock and the chest and it's a couple inches shy. With foam on the top and bottom I will definitely need to make a collar.

I say hook an ac unit up to the end of it, and use it as a ferm chamber. If it is only a couple inches shy, you could cut holes in the top and let the top of carboys/ airlocks just poke through the box. If you insulate it/seal up the holes well enough you may not need to make that collar.

Edit: I would first make sure you could fit the 4 carboys in there. If the space ends up being inefficient for your equipment, just use it as storage or a beer chest.

Back