SS hose clamp clearly not SS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
I bought a SS hose clamp for my mash tun, but it appears something is amiss, as it has this white, chalky look to it now. Any ideas?

Edit: highlighted problem.

stainlessmyass.jpg

olllllo said:
That also appears to NOT be a SS braid. Intention?

Oh, it's an SS hose braid. I can post the rest of it if you'd like. You're looking at some old grain. :)

Edit: attached proof. :)

ss.jpg

the_bird said:
It looks more like a nylon braid than SS, but it's hard to tell from the pic.

I got it from the toilet hose section at Lowe's. The package said "Stainless Steel," so I'm assuming that's what it is.

At any rate, the clamp assembly is what concerns me. Does that look like I need to get another one?

I'm guessing that the band portion of that worm-gear clamp is SS but the grub screw and maybe it's housing is not SS but galvanized steel. So, is it possibly zinc oxide?

tundra45 said:
I'm guessing that the band portion of that worm-gear clamp is SS but the grub screw and maybe it's housing is not SS but galvanized steel. So, is it possibly zinc oxide?

Beats me! Is it possible to get one made entirely of SS?

ayrton said:
I got it from the toilet hose section at Lowe's. The package said "Stainless Steel," so I'm assuming that's what it is.

At any rate, the clamp assembly is what concerns me. Does that look like I need to get another one?

Yes, you are right--that braid is stainless.

The clamp--prolly not.

Yes, just appears to be dissimilar metals. I'm not too up on the details, but possibly different stainless will react the same as dissimilar metals and corrode?? That appears to be what they are doing. If all else fails, maybe go with a plastic hose clamp. Probably not the best to use metal to metal, but it may work.

the_bird said:
It looks like a mineral deposit of some kind - you have really hard water?

Not sure about that. If I did, you'd think it might deposit itself on everything. That's definitely a thought. Whatever it is, I think I better get a new clamp. What does everyone else use?

*Bump*

I still would like to know what others are using to clamp an SS hose braid to the barb on the inside of a mash tun.

ayrton said:
*Bump*

I still would like to know what others are using to clamp an SS hose braid to the barb on the inside of a mash tun.

I'm using the same kind of clamp on mine, but I don't have the oxidation that yours does. I got mine at Lowe's. 2 for 88 cents.

I have run about 8 batches through it so far. How old is yours?

EdWort said:
I'm using the same kind of clamp on mine, but I don't have the oxidation that yours does. I got mine at Lowe's. 2 for 88 cents.

I have run about 8 batches through it so far. How old is yours?

2 batches. :(

Everything is stainless. I got one of those Kewler Kitz harware kits, so the only thing that I bought outright was the clamp (EDIT: and the hose), and I got that at an auto parts store. If Lowe's sells the clamps and they work for you, then I'll give that a shot. Thanks all!

When they say stainless, and it's inexpensive, they mean 18/2 grade which is barely "stainless". I have clamps from both Mcmaster (description says ALL 304) and Lowes (grade not specified) but I haven't used my MLT to notice any issues.

Back