What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
No. I always see it and I'm tempted to buy it, but I can't pull the trigger for some reason.

I COMPLETELY understand. I was the same way. I thought the packaging was, how should I say... "trying to hard" to sell itself. Plus, it was always sitting there with Purple Haze, which wasn't appealing to me. I didn't even know it was a dark beer, to be honest.

However, my SIL's boyfriend bought a sampler pack of Abita's brews for the final game of the World Cup and when he came from the kitchen with a glass of black goodness, I was curious.

I tasted it first and then asked which it was and he told me. Now, I'm feeling like a tool for having not tried it sooner. :eek:

Dude said:
No. I always see it and I'm tempted to buy it, but I can't pull the trigger for some reason.

I'm the same way. Every time I'm in Total Wine I see Abita beers but I never buy it, even just 1 in a mixed 6 pack. Not sure why, must be the label like Walker said.

todd_k said:
I'm the same way. Every time I'm in Total Wine I see Abita beers but I never buy it, even just 1 in a mixed 6 pack. Not sure why, must be the label like Walker said.

Probably. The packaging screams "I am chic! Only cool people drink me!"

I (wrongly) suspected it was a crappy beer with a trendy package.

todd and dude, I'll save a couple bottles for you for after the beer fest.

-walker

Sweet. I still have 1 bottle of that AB Devils Hop Yard IPA I'll bring if someone wants to sample it. Like I said in another thread, it's not that great but it was interesting to try it.

Walker-san said:
Abita Turbodog

I like Turbodog. It's a really smooth porter-like brew that doesn't require you to "develop a taste" for it just so you can drink it. But then, I'm from south Lousiana and grew up not so far from there, so I had to try the beer the first time I saw it.

The Amber is a good solid beer too. Those are the only two I've tried.

Right now I'm drinking Dogfishhead 60 Minute IPA. I wanted to try it because several people on this forum said they liked it.

I like the first sensation of tingly bright crispness on the front of the tongue as you start to sip, but as the beer travels down my tongue and fills my mouth, the extraordinary bitterness makes me want to pucker up and spew it out. It's a nice looking beer, though. It looks very pretty in a glass.

I like bitterness in beers, but more on the level of a British Pale Ale or an ESB, where there is sufficient sweetness to balance the bitterness. This DFH 60 minute would be great if the bitterness could be cut in half. (Would that make it a 30 minute IPA?)

I tip my hat to those who can tolerate a beer this bitter. It's not to my taste, and thus not a pleasure to drink. I'm quite certain I won't be trying the DFH 90 minute IPA, as this one here is way too bitter for me. As a matter of fact, since I also tried DFH Indian Brown Ale and found it utterly repulsive, I doubt I'll ever try another DFH.

beer4breakfast said:
Right now I'm drinking Dogfishhead 60 Minute IPA. I wanted to try it because several people on this forum said they liked it.

I like the first sensation of tingly bright crispness on the front of the tongue as you start to sip, but as the beer travels down my tongue and fills my mouth, the extraordinary bitterness makes me want to pucker up and spew it out. It's a nice looking beer, though. It looks very pretty in a glass.

I like bitterness in beers, but more on the level of a British Pale Ale or an ESB, where there is sufficient sweetness to balance the bitterness. This DFH 60 minute would be great if the bitterness could be cut in half. (Would that make it a 30 minute IPA?)

I tip my hat to those who can tolerate a beer this bitter. It's not to my taste, and thus not a pleasure to drink. I'm quite certain I won't be trying the DFH 90 minute IPA, as this one here is way too bitter for me. As a matter of fact, since I also tried DFH Indian Brown Ale and found it utterly repulsive, I doubt I'll ever try another DFH.

Keep with it. It will grow on you. :D

And you can't detect sweetness in that? All of the DFH stuff (including 90 minute) is too sweet for me.

My advice, don't waste your money on Arrogant Bastard or Hop Rod Rye for a while. That'll kick you in the nuts.

Dude, let me ask you, as one of the resident hops-expert, something.

I really liked the Arrogant Bastard, but didn't care for Hop Rod Rye. Now, I've been developing a taste for more and more hops recently, and I had the HRR several months before AB, but am I right in perceiving HRR as being a lot harsher? Is it the rye that gives it that extra nut-grab?

the_bird said:
Dude, let me ask you, as one of the resident hops-expert, something.

I really liked the Arrogant Bastard, but didn't care for Hop Rod Rye. Now, I've been developing a taste for more and more hops recently, and I had the HRR several months before AB, but am I right in perceiving HRR as being a lot harsher? Is it the rye that gives it that extra nut-grab?

I dunno, because I actually think AB is a little more harsh. Maybe yours was older? But yes, you are right --I believe the rye probably gives it an extra "spicy" character. Prolly what you are detecting?

I absolutely adore HRR. To me it has the perfect everything.

It seems to be a mystery as to what exactly type of bittering hops is in AB. Some say Chinook, which is very high cohumolone. That will make it very harsh.

Dude said:
I dunno, because I actually think AB is a little more harsh. Maybe yours was older? But yes, you are right --I believe the rye probably gives it an extra "spicy" character. Prolly what you are detecting?

I absolutely adore HRR. To me it has the perfect everything.

It seems to be a mystery as to what exactly type of bittering hops is in AB. Some say Chinook, which is very high cohumolone. That will make it very harsh.

We've got another Fancy Beer Friday coming up soon (I've decreed that EVERY Friday is FBF), so I may seek out HRR again to see if I'm now worthy. I'll say, though, that Walker's IPA is still going down REAL nice; I'm not sure that even Arrogant Bastard (which I really, REALLY like) is any better.

the_bird said:
You know that if, perchance, the Cincinatti Bail Bonds (I mean, Bengals) pull this game out of their ass this week, that's what you're getting...

And if the Patriots get a miracle, I'm sending you the same.

Hmmm... maybe instead of a "loser sends 2 beers" it should be "winner sends 1, looser sends 3". Winner still comes out +2 beers in total, but the loser still gets a chance to taste the winner's beer for comparison's sake.

-walker

the_bird said:
That sounds fair. I *would* like your opinion on this, since you are, by definition, this particular brew's expert. Is that the one that you brewed this part weekend?

Nope. My most recent batch of IPA was brewed July 4th and bottled August 12th or so. I've been drinking it all week. In fact, going to get one out of the fridge right now.

I brewed my porter this past weekend.

-walker

And here's where I really get confused. I like HRR, especially after it's warmed up a bit. There's a little bit of everything going on there but it's a good mix.

The DFH 60 and 90 (of which I still have a bottle in my fridge if anyone wants it) just did NOT do it for me. Total Hop overload.

I used to like IPA's a lot, and find myself not digging them as much as I used to. But I'm sure it's just my taste. I'm really liking Porters and Stouts so that may be it. But HRR is a good beer, especially (to me anyway) when it's had a chance to reach almost room temp. The flavors really jump out.... (Hops and Malt alike)

Ize

Dude said:
Keep with it. It will grow on you. :D

And you can't detect sweetness in that? All of the DFH stuff (including 90 minute) is too sweet for me.

My advice, don't waste your money on Arrogant Bastard or Hop Rod Rye for a while. That'll kick you in the nuts.

Thanks for the advice. :) I've actually had Arrogant Bastard a few times, and I tried very hard to be worthy! Damn their marketing that appeals to the macho ego! Fact is, it kicked my nuts!

Now, I'm having another DFH 60 minute IPA, and it doesn't seem quite so shocking this time around. Hmmmm.

I had an Arrogant Bastard last night after I had to dump a local micro that had a funky sour taste. Right now it is an Anchor Small Beer. I'm thinking mine had been on the shelf too long because it it very dry, no sweetness at all and the maltiness is very flat. The hops just give a sharp bitterness at the back of the tongue. I'm disappointed. Please tell me it's a bad bottle and not how this stuff is really supposed to taste. :(

Packer game tonight--I got a few really nice treats for myself from Coastal Wine.

Found a few bottles of the Stone 10th Anniversary IPA. OMG I thought everyone had bought it up around here. I am stoked.

Also found a Great Divide Hercules Double IPA, and the Weyerbacker Imperial Pumpkin Ale just got released. Sounds interesting. Picked one up for tonight as well.

:rockin:

Stay away from the Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale. Nasty stuff. I'm not a fan of the regular Blue Moon so maybe that's it.

SWMBO hosted a party-lite party last weekend and bought a 6-pack of BMPA, Magic Hat #9, and Miller Lite. No one had any beer at the party so now I'm stuck with it.

This is as good a thread as any to note that probably the worst beer I have had in a long, LONG time is Dogfish Head's imperial pilsner, "Golden Shower." Last time I get suckered in by a name that makes me laugh (God, I'm a tool). Horrible. Very thick. Had some bitterness and a little bit of hop aroma, but no real hop flavor despite being "continuously hopped." The bitterness was basically just back-of-the-throat bitterness.

Sickly sweet. Kinda tasted a little figgy, I've read an apt description of "old fruit," kinda reminded me of really bad fruitcake. Or, bad-fruitcake-flavored-cough-syrup.

The only thing the beer has going for it is that it comes in a very cool bottle, basically a wine bottle with a crown. I would *love* to find a source for these bottles so I don't have to waste that kind of $$ on DHF again (not that I would, not this brew at least).

Just terrible, I just don't get it - why would they put out a beer that's so obviously imbalanced? It feels like they made something different, and put it out because it IS different, without regard to whether that difference resulted in a good product or not. I was expecting a big but crisp, hoppy lager, a "good" version of the kinds of beers I started out drinking. Now, I now have zero trust in DFH, if I want to try something new I'll be looking elsewhere. Terrible, terrible beer, IMHO.

I agree, Golden Shower and their 120 minute IPA are sickeningly sweet. The bottle is different but is also a little more difficult to re-cap.

I haven't tried the 90 yet - is it more on the sweet side like the GS and 120 (I've heard that about the 120 elsewhere, and it makes NO sense to me), or is it more balanced like the 60?

The 60 is one of the better beers I've had lately, although I wouldn't mind if it were kicked up a little.

the_bird said:
I haven't tried the 90 yet - is it more on the sweet side like the GS and 120 (I've heard that about the 120 elsewhere, and it makes NO sense to me), or is it more balanced like the 60?

The 60 is one of the better beers I've had lately, although I wouldn't mind if it were kicked up a little.

The 90 is the best of all of them, IMHO. It is about as perfect of a beer as DFH makes. I still think their are better IPAs out there, (Stone IPA, Legend IPA, etc.) but give me a DFH 90 anytime.

the_bird said:
Stone Ruination's on the Try-ASAP list.

What's your Pliny a clone of? The Elder or The Younger (or something else that I don't know about)?

I was let down by Ruination. The bottle I had might have been old though.

My clone is of Pliny The Elder. I know I've said this a million times on this forum, but the recipe came directly from the head brewer. He handed the recipe out at the NHBC in 2005. I also have a .pdf file if anyone wants a copy.

Dude, I'll vouch for Stone on the Ruination IPA. I know your location is on the edge their distribution. All of the IPA's that I have tasted that were fantastic were fairly local. I bought some Bridgeport IPA in OR that was great. I bought a sixer down here and it was like cardboard.

By the way, I'd love the Pliny recipe. Just PM me if it's not too much trouble.

Brewsmith said:
Dude, I'll vouch for Stone on the Ruination IPA. I know your location is on the edge their distribution. All of the IPA's that I have tasted that were fantastic were fairly local. I bought some Bridgeport IPA in OR that was great. I bought a sixer down here and it was like cardboard.

By the way, I'd love the Pliny recipe. Just PM me if it's not too much trouble.

The recipe is readily available on this site. Just search for a thread by me called, "Screw it, I'm brewing" or something like that. Recipe is posted there. Or, PM me you e-mail address and I'll send you the .pdf file.

I just cracked open the Stone 10th Anniversary IPA.

Apprearance: Nice foamy head, crystal clear, coppery hue. Amazing how clear this beer is.

Aroma: Malt, mostly. Not much as far as hops, certainly not a citrusey aroma like I was expecting. If anything, I get Simcoe, but fairly weak.

Taste: Wow. Nice. Sweeter than I expected. Bitter but not overbearing. Definitely get some citrus hops in the taste, as well as loads of Simcoe.

Great IPA. :rockin:

For being 10% abv, isn't it smooth? That snuck up on me when I had mine. I was sitting down watching a movie. I got up after about 45 minutes and was a little surprised. I still have a bottle in the fridge.

Brewsmith said:
For being 10% abv, isn't it smooth? That snuck up on me when I had mine. I was sitting down watching a movie. I got up after about 45 minutes and was a little surprised. I still have a bottle in the fridge.

10% ABV? Holy fright. I had no idea. Yeah, this is TOTALLY amazing stuff.

I just packed up a bottle to share with the crew after the Durham beer fest. Youse guys are gonna love this sucker.

Brewsmith said:
I'll put it in the lineup. It will be a while but I'll get there.

Being in Cali, have you had the real stuff?

Another one I've wanted to try for a while are a few from 21st Amendment. The IPA and Watermelon Wheat are both sold in cans. I'd kill to try both of those. Have you had them?

Back