Help with beer names for Nano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm opening my nano in two months and need a little advice on the beer names. My brewery name is Crooked Run Brewing, peep the logo:

379235_507536329287119_196927568_n.jpg

The four year-round beers are called:

Hopsail: Belgian single. Named after the unique bamboo trellises in my hopyard that look like sails.

Heartsong: Belgian dubbel.

Nature's Warden: Brown ale.

Storm: IPA

I really like my names, but I got to thinking...most Belgian breweries just name their beers blonde, dubbel, 6, 10, etc. When I see an American Belgian beer with a name, I feel like I trust it a little less. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking just changing the names for the single and dubbel to Single and Dubbel. Thoughts?

Congrats on the new business! Maybe meet it half way and put the single and dubbel boldly in the title (i.e. "Hopsail Single", "Heartsong Dubbel"). I think it would make the product appear unique to your brand but still give beer aficionados and craft enthusiasts an instant idea of what it is.

To me, at least, just putting the word "Dubbel" on the bottle with nothing else would be reminiscent of the old black and white generic products that just said "CEREAL" and "BEER."

+1 on the congrats! I like the logo, although to be honest it looks more like a winery logo than something I would associate with beer. That's not inherently bad; it looks classy.

I agree, as well, that you can keep your beer names if you also clearly identify the style. I wouldn't stress too much about how the Belgian breweries name their beers. I'm thinking of beers like Ommegang's Three Philosophers, which I love but that is identified by its name moreso than by the fact that it's a Quad.

There are a ton of great American takes on Belgian beers that have unique names. Hennepin, Collete, Damnation, Tropic King, etc. I wouldn't sweat it, I like the unique names.

Congrats.

+1 on the congrats! I like the logo, although to be honest it looks more like a winery logo than something I would associate with beer. That's not inherently bad; it looks classy.

I agree, as well, that you can keep your beer names if you also clearly identify the style. I wouldn't stress too much about how the Belgian breweries name their beers. I'm thinking of beers like Ommegang's Three Philosophers, which I love but that is identified by its name moreso than by the fact that it's a Quad.

Thanks! That was the look I was going for. I do a lot of wine-like beers; an Elderberry quad, maple strong ale, fresh hop double IPA, etc. Check out my blog at http://crookedrunbrewing.wordpress.com/ if you want to read some interesting stuff. I'm also on Facebook under Crooked Run Brewing.

I agree, I think I'll keep the names.

Latest posts

Back