Bottles in the dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your dishwasher has a sanitize setting, you can use that to sanitize bottles. The setting, at least on my dishwasher, takes several hours to complete.

I also use the sanitize setting on my dishwasher. But if you don't have that setting, your dishwasher likely won't get hot enough and/or hold that temp long enough to actually sanitize the bottles.

After my bottles are washed (oxyclean or b brite) and thoroughly rinsed, I sanitize in the dishwasher. NO SOAP or RINSE AGENT. No more sanitizer taste or smell in my beer. I know everyone says that the no rinse sanitizers are oderless and tasteless. However I disagree.

I haven't tried the oven yet, but I'd bet 180 for 20 minutes or so would kill most bacteria that live in the house. Can someone confirm this? Other than botulinum, are there common bacterias that live over 180 degrees?

I remove my labels by soaking in B-Brite. Once the label is off, it gets rinse and placed in the dishwasher for a rinse cycle. I do not have a sanitize setting on dishwasher, but they come out dry and hot. Since I started doing this (about 6 months now) I haven't had any infected bottles, and it works fine for me. I heard from another member in my HBC he has been doing this for many years and never had issues with infected batches in bottles.

Back