My post boil hydro test is fermenting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsists

Reaction score
So, I took a post boil hydro test sample and forgot to check the gravity after it cooled down. I left it in the garage for two days on accident (just forgot about it). When I got home last night I saw it and figured I should give it a test to see where my post boil was. When I grabbed the tube, I noticed it had krausen and was bubbling. Thought nothing of it really and pulled off the krausen and tested it (figured it was just break material). When I tested it I saw that my numbers were lower than my pre-boil and saw that it was still bubbling. So now I'm going to let it go and see what happens lol. Its still completely open.

Its obviously not enough to enjoy any of the product but I think I might try to get a little taste and try to cultivate the yeast and build it.

Just thought it was kinda a funny story.

Wild Yeast in the garage, or did you take a hydro after you pitched?

Wild Yeast in the garage, or did you take a hydro after you pitched?

Wild yeast from the garage.

Let me tell you, its going crazy too. I don't know why I thought the krausen was just break material because it was at least an inch of krausen. I'm kinda excited for it. Really hope it is a wild yeast caught.

Dude, thats pretty wild. I'd ramp that thing up, see where it goes.

I concur, make a starter and pitch that hydro sample into it!!! Decant and do something with your wild yeasty beasties.

Since we have no replies, I decided to leave my hydrometer tube full of wort outside for a while until I see some krausen form and then I will culture it up. We will see!

Sorry for the lack of replies.. The truth is, I haven't done anything with it. I've been on a being hiatus for the last month or so. Life got real busy and now that its getting cold here, I don't foresee me brewing anything in the near future. I do still have the sample though.

Same thing happened to me, mine must have been innoculatef with some yeast from a previous test. I watched the hydro sample ferment and the gravity drop over a couple days, when I checked the beer it was at the same gravity as the hydro tube, it was kinda neat to see.

That's funny. I had the same experience for the first time last week as well! And it was definitely wild yeast since I tested before pitching.

Back