Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beg to differ on the it has a good name part. The beer itself has a plesant taste to it. It may not be your cup of tea. Hell I can't stand mushrooms but I can still see how people can like the flavor. Ab has a good flavor to it

I think AB is a good beer (a bit too hoppy for this guy), but I still see it as a good beer. However, does it really deserve a 99? I doubt it is only 1 point below the likes of KBS, Pliney, Westvleteren, and BCS.

As far as my least favorite commercial, I would have to say it's a tie between Rogue Olde Crustacean and Starhill Lucy. I love barleywine, but old crusty tastes like ear wax to me. I think it may be whatever hops they use, but I have tried it many times throughout the years and still feel like I'm licking someones ear! Lucy tastes like over carbed artificial lime water! There is no way that it uses natural lime as its tastes like chemicals. I was very disappointed as it is a Virginia brewery!

Hoegarden (sp) I think it tasted like gasoline mixed with spices. Hated and couldn't finish a bottle let alone a six pack. My father in law came to visit and drank it down like it was going out of style.

Pilgarlic said:
Tie: Samuel Adams Summer Ale and Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat.

I recently had a couple of pints if the summer ale when I was last in the states ... it was a nice pint

The only beer i've EVER dumped down the drain in the past 5 years of discovering really good beer...

Anything by Ska...

Hope i didn't offend anyone out there, just can't stomach anything they make

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat.

First beer I've ever poured out. Hopefully my last.

Has anyone tried the Costco beer? Defiantly the worst beer out there hands down. They sell a variety pack, and every beer tasted the exact same. You know it's bad when a wheat and a pale ale taste exactly the same.

For a while Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat was at the top of my list. Last week I found the new champion: Cave Creek's Chili Beer. It's basically the same as drinking the liquid from a jar of pickled jalapenos.

chili.jpg

AB's Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale.

We did a double-blind taste test of three dozen winter beers. After having Delirium Noel, Samichlaus Noel, and three year aged Jubelale, everyone spat out the first sip of this dreck.
boru.jpg

And y'all are crazy for not liking Arrogant Bastard. The local Costco had 12 packs of the 22s a year ago and I bought three cases at the same time. Pretty much had at least a bottle a night for weeks. I was in heaven.

You know how an old fellow who's been smoking a pipe for 40 years can take a puff of his tobacco and tell you he tastes notes of cherry, vanilla, and sandalwood? But if a nonsmoker tries it he will just start choking and his eyes will stream tears?

Or how an art snob can look at a painting that is nothing more than a canvas covered with black and red splotches and tell you that the artist was brilliantly conveying the suffering of the peasant class during the Spanish Revolution?

That's exactly how Arrogant bastard gets a 99. It is well named.

lol, great post.

Brewstress said:
Has anyone tried the Costco beer? Defiantly the worst beer out there hands down. They sell a variety pack, and every beer tasted the exact same. You know it's bad when a wheat and a pale ale taste exactly the same.

Yikes...didn't know store-brand beer actually existed...what's next, Wal-Mart Weizen??

Leinies Berry Weiss and Summer Shandy. The only two beers up to this point I haven't been able to finish. It still amazes me when I see people drinking them, but then again, Leinies is big around here.
The latest incarnation of Schlitz isn't very good either.

Leinenkugel just may hold some of this thread's most "disgusting beers"...lotsa hatas! Guys...you're gonna hurt Leinie's feelings......

To whoever posted that Leinie's Summer Shandy tasted like Lemon Pledge, I can only agree. Almost had to spit out the first sip, didn't take another.:mad:

I can confidently state that I haven't had my worst commercial beer ever as of yet. I'm sure there are worse ones out there still to be drank.

Tri City Brewing Brownhoist nut brown ale. I picked up a six of this while on vacation up north michigan last year from a shop with a "beer cave'' that was about 35 degrees inside. The beer was so badly infected that it tastes like pure vinigar. I tried my hardest to drink it but I couldn't even get through one bottle. To be fair I have not had any other beers from them so I won't slander their brewery too much but this beer had quality issues.

By far, Specklebelly’s Raspberry Ale. Came in a 2L bottle and looked like cherry 7-up. Nose was a light lifesaver-ish sweetness with some mild bubble gum notes, not too off putting. But one sip and you had almost 2L of beer to dump. Horrible body to go with a very quick but awful watered down fake raspberry flavor and almost no beer characteristics. I think if I would of drank enough of it, my next dump woulda been fluorescent pink. I am still dumbfounded as to how this is still on the market as I don't seen anyone ever buying it.

Rockape66 said:
To whoever posted that Leinie's Summer Shandy tasted like Lemon Pledge, I can only agree. Almost had to spit out the first sip, didn't take another.:mad:

I might be able to stomach it if I had the mindset going in to it that it was rotten lemonade. Beer? Don't think so.

For the most part I choke down bad beer even if its really nasty. But Wells Banana Bread Beer, Saison Dupont and a Mango Weizen (by Trade Winds, was it?) got dumped. The Saison Dupont I suspect was a bad bottle. I have read good things about it, but the one I had was awful sour...

FatMonsters said:
For the most part I choke down bad beer even if its really nasty. But Wells Banana Bread Beer, Saison Dupont and a Mango Weizen (by Trade Winds, was it?) got dumped. The Saison Dupont I suspect was a bad bottle. I have read good things about it, but the one I had was awful sour...

Yeah you got a bad bottle on that SdP. It shouldn't have been really sour. Give it another go. That beer is magic.

So- how is it surprising that big chains brand some stuff they had quoted from the lowest bidder "craft" and putting it up at "a popular price" (with no apologies to Carling Black Label, for those of you who remember that swill)?
We are led to the conclusion that the word "craft" or "micro" doesn't necessarily make it good. I got a sampler case of some of Michelob's entries into "craft." They were all -sort of- in style, just barely enough that they could be called a hefe, pale ale, porter, etc. Sorta "craft beer lite." No further interest from me, although they do have a cool bottle.

Also, stay tuned to watch the phrase "craft brew" abused in future, just like the word "organic" has been for the last 20 years.

alexdagrate said:
Lots of stores have store branded "craft" beer now.
Safeway, Fred Meyer, Albertsons, 7-11, Supervalu, Walgreens, Piggly Wiggly, etc.

We miss out on all that crap in PA.

BJ's PM Porter is nasty or at least it was when I tried it. The flavor profile could be best described as SKOL vodka infused with burnt toast.

seriously, the brew master either okay-ed this one to serve without tasting it or something is wrong with is taste buds.

Back