Can I use pop corn corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgremark

Reaction score
I do blond ales and I got given to me about a 50lb bag of popping corn corn, can I use it in my beer?

Thanks for all your help!:mug:

You wouldn't be doing anything outrageous from the research I found. Corn has been used in beer for centuries. Popping corn is just regular sweet corn harvested later in the corn stalks life span, after it turns brown, and after the sweetness of the corn is gone. I'm no expert, just found info online.

You wouldn't be doing anything outrageous from the research I found. Corn has been used in beer for centuries. Popping corn is just regular sweet corn harvested later in the corn stalks life span, after it turns brown, and after the sweetness of the corn is gone. I'm no expert, just found info online.

I don't think this is correct. We used to grow corn when I was growing up and grew separate varieties for sweet corn and popping corn.

Popping it? LOL

Well I was thinking about grinding it and use it in the mash............................

Popping gelatinizes the starch. It's basically torified maize. You could grind it to grits. Then it would need to be cereal mashed or pre-cooked to get full extract.

I prefer the the flavor from the polenta I used in my CAP. It was a cereal mash.

Latest posts

Back