what size chest freezer do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
soon the store i work at will be selling chest freezers for $150 with coupons for $150 free food. i believe it's about 6 cubic feet. will that be enough for 2 kegs?

From what i've seen 6cu should be enough for two kegs. I saw someone say they had 3 kegs in a 5 cu unit (the co2 had to be on the outside though).

I bought a GE 5cuft chest freezer from Sam's Club to use as a fermenter. It held 2 cornies or one 6.5g carboy.

A 6CF model is plenty big enough for 2 cornies and a Co2 bottle.

Me, only because you asked, I have a 15.3 CF model. I place all of my kegs in there(anywhere from 2 on to 8) and all of my collectible beer also. I have a kegerator on my main living floor that holds whatever is on tap. I am waiting for the kergerator to die so that I can buy a 9 CF Freezer and make that into a Kegerator.

I started with 3 kegs in a 7.4cu freezer (with 5lb CO2 inside too) but only had two gas lines, thinking the 3rd would be 'aging beer'.

well my used kegs leak sporatically if not connected to gas and liquid. so now I just run 5 kegs all the time in a 14cu freezer.

the 7 is idle but will likely get used for lagering and summer fermentation temp control. just need another johnson controller.

Back