Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is all sorts of horrible.
And the Sam Adams Triple Bock tastes like soy sauce.

Agreed on both of those! Got the Triple Bock because the bottle looked cool, ended up dumping it. And it was pricey!

Also adding to the hate on Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat....like someone poured beer in their cereal and decided "hey, this is awesome!"

To add a few of my least favorites:
Rogue Chipotle Ale...I bought this because I had a good chipotle beer from Bootlegger's. This is not a good beer. Tasted like a generic pale with a ****load of pepper spice. Went down the drain.
Magic Hat #9....finished it, but with great effort. Hate hate hate.
Abita Jockamo IPA...I don't think they ever tried an IPA before they made this beer.
Ommegang Ommegeddon...found out the hard way that there is definitely such a thing as TOO MUCH FUNK!!
Blue Moon Grand Cru.....I love Blue Moon, so why not a higher ABV special edition? Well, I guess that's what I got. Take Blue Moon, add in way too much alcohol hotness, and tada! $8 a bottle. FML.
Boddington's....I tried this early in my beer drinking career, and absolutely loathed it. Noting that it's a fairly popular beer, I tried it again recently now that my palate is a bit expanded. Hated it even more. What an awful, awful beer.
Delirium Tremens....The best way I heard this described was "it tastes like hot dog water"

Very sad, but for me it was a brew from Rogue of all breweries. Their Double (yes, double) Dead Guy Ale on tap at a reputable pub that cleans their lines regularly. It was n*a*s*t*y. Really sour and pungent and stinky and everything bad. I finished it. But then someone decided it would be a great idea to buy me another. I left it on the table and ordered a SNPA to get the crap taste out of my mouth.

Weird, I've had this beer a ton of times and it's never tasted sour. Something was wrong with the beer at the place you got it.

.... DFH's Palo Santo Marron. Granted, I'm not much of a "dark" beer fan

If you don't like Guinness, it probably wasn't a good idea to buy a 12% ABV "dark" beer :cross:

"Simpler Times" sold at Trader Joe's. It was loaded with diacyetyl.

I like cheap and crappy beer, and this beer was awful. On the upside, I really like their Summerbrau Kolsch

Also I find it funny that a lot of people are basically posting a style they don't like.

the worst beer ive tasted is the bud with tomato juice i cant remember the name and miller chili...

here in mexico when you have a bad hangover you can mix bmc with clamato, (tomato juice with clam juice), lemon, and chilli, and its pretty decent but those pseudo ¨chabelas¨are not good.

Chabelas is the term for the beer with clamato

cheers

Chavelas saved my job at Applebee's a long time ago...one night after work I had the audacity to play a few hours of quarters with some co-workers.

With Patron Silver.

Let's just say I somehow won. Both the game and a 2-day hangover.

I was lucky I didn't have to work the day after, but the 2nd day I had to go in at 3. That morning I was still very much dehydrated and my head was still doing time warps. 1 chavela and 5 Advil later, I was as perky as a high school cheerleader at homecoming.

Patron is evil ****.

Shipyard Pumpkinhead is absolutely terrible this year... tastes like a watery cider with a handful of random spices thrown in.

Glad I wasn't the only one that feels this way. I just commented on this tonight how crappy it was this year. I look forward to it.

Now someone else mentioned SA Nobil Pils...man I really like that beer! Guess everyone's tastes are different.

But the worst beer I had tried was the SA Triple Bock from '95. Tasted like Chocolate Vinegar.

Crazy Horse malt liquor is probably the "winner."

First runner up: National Bohemian (after 2 or 3, my tongue would start to swell).

In august I was about to go floating and was pretty stoked to get so drunk on the river that people around me would be genuinely concerned about my wellbeing. Unfourtunately just before I was about to leave I got a call for a really short notice fight (2 weeks) and I was 20 lbs over so my awesome beer became the new bud 55. Which was just awful and pointless.

My friend, Eric, went over his Aunt's place and went into the basement. In the refridgerator was some old beers. He asked his Aunt about them and she said they were his Uncle's before he died. The beers were estimated to be 5 years old. One of them was a Miller Lite in a can.

We drank it for the following reasons:
1. To see how bad it really could have gotten.

Ok...well, that was the only reason. It was atrocious. More so than the beer usually is.

back in my younger foolish days, I thought the only purpose of drinking beer was to get hammered.

My friend and I bought a 12 pack of Steel Reserve 24 oz pounders one night. I finished my 6. :drunk:

I tried it once since then, and dumped it out.

I can't think of one "worst" beer I've ever had, but I can think of a microbrewery that fits the bill: McMenamin's

Every single one of their beers tastes like the same anemic malt profile, overbittered, and then flavored with a bit of cascade hops. They have about 10 different "styles" on tap at any one time and the only difference between any of them is the color. I think that their food is carefully crafted with a year's worth of garlic and fryer oil so that their customers won't notice that their skunky beer tastes like it's their first batch.

The worst beer I've had in recent history was an Efes Dark.

For those not familiar, Efes is a Turkish brewery. The Efes Pilsen is nothing special but very drinkable. The "Dark" is supposed to be their brown ale. Very watery tasting, no carbonation and just bland. So, if you ever find yourself in Turkey please do yourself a favor and skip it.

Northern Tier Pumking Ale... Tried it on tap and out of the bottle in a horizontal with other pumpkin beers. It's a sweet mess in my opinion. Surprised how high it is ranked on BAdv. With that said, my wife had no problem finishing what I had left behind.

I have to admit it was definitely Natural Light. I don't know what I was thinking, but drinking that stuff is just eck.

I wanted to scream like Smeagol/Gollum. "Ahhh, IT BURNZ! IT BURNZ!"

To add a beer to this list that you knew was going to be bad before you tried it: Steel Reserve malt liquor. Man this stuff is harsh!!!

I'm always loathe to bag on a beer because I know with my own tastes there's got to be someone out there that things it's just the cats meow. It's the usual "to each his own" caveat.

Every few years I pick up a six of Ipswich's "Oatmeal Stout" and every time I get through the first one and come to the same conclusion; "this is terrible...."

I don't know what it is. I like Oatmeal Stouts; heck I have one on tap right now! But something about that beer just doesn't jive with me.

"red stripe". its like natural ice for jamaica.
and "national bohemian" its a baltimore brew and i love the memories i had as a kid drinking it. but i hate the poor quality of it now that i can afford better.

also "Iron City" affectionately refered to as "Iron Sh!tty" beer.
also bad (sorry pittsburgh, your beer sucks.)

For me, it was probably Rogue Chipotle Ale - just way over the top chile flavor, blech!

I had a Sam Adams Cranberry Winter Ale some years back and it was not all that great, I even dumped a couple of them and gave the rest to my not so good friends:p

Has anyone tried the Okto Ale by Widmer? I think that one sucks too. But not as bad as that winter ale crap.

I must admit though Sam Adams kind of redeemed themselves with me on their new Oktoberfest, a traditional Oktoberfest and it is a really good one.

About a month or so ago a friend of mine had a Bell's Poolside, i had to send it back for him. It was nasty!!! I never thought i would have to send back anything by them, i was so disappointed. :(

Worst Commercial Beer You Have Ever Had?

Worst commercial beer I've ever had:

By far "Buffalo Sweat Stout" (on tap) by Tallgrass Brewing Company and I'm a stout drinker.

My friend and I sent ours back after drinking 1/2 a pint and quickly ordered a fresh pint of Guinness. :mug:

So what says you.......whats your vote for worst commercial beer you've tasted???????

I've been around too long, and downed too much suds, to put any specific brand to this over the whole span of my "drinking years." Recently? Night before last, here in Kyoto, I picked up a can of some Yebisu (which I think is a Sapporo label), because beer here comes in a bewildering technicolor array of cans, but everything I had had so far is pretty much just the same BMC beer we all know & hate. I noticed that there are about three or four price levels for a different brand, though, so I tried a can of the second-from-cheapest. Execrable; real Red, White & Blue quality.

There are craft beers here, but they're not particularly easy to find. Best thing is to order them through a delivery service.....but if you do that on line, better learn to read Kanji first. The markets & convenience stores usually don't stock them, but the big brewers here do make dark beers that are quite a bit more palatable than their regular offerings: Asahi Black, Kirin Stout, and Yebisu Premium Black. These can be found in the regular liquor stores.

Short back story: I suffer from random migraines that can never seem to be directly linked to any specific trigger.

Land Shark!!! Now don't get me wrong, the flavor is interesting, to say the least. I tried this little bastage due to living in Japan, where acquiring decent home brew supplies and good craft is a challenge. About half way through just one of these yellow buggers sends me into full tilt migraine mode. I wasn't sure it was the beer due to having never been able to pin point the cause of my headaches. So I experimented again and again trying to get through the six pack. It took me a full week of making sure there was nothing else triggering it. Sure enough, within 6 oz. without fail. The flavor isn't bad so I'm really kinda disappointed that it does this.

Aside from "beer" and "beer light" I have never met a brew I didn't at least like enough to not finish. That doesn't make them all "great" but one must make concessions from time to time.

Not sure if this counts, but my college rugby team had a ritual called shooting the boot. Basically, the first time a player scores a try (uh, sort of like a touchdown in football) he has to drink beer out of a old boot (cleat). Other more senior players on the team like to put grass and spit and tobasco sauce ect. in it. Im sure mine had all of that, and to top it off i think it was Natural Ice.

Going to school in Milwaukee we had a lot of bad beer around. Standard issue for keg partys was Busch light delivered with 2 bags of ice and a sleeve of cups for $30/keg.
One day we decided to "save a buck" well $2 actually and had them send over Milwaukee Best Ice Light. - Gross-
I tasted like an MGD that got a little too warm so to fix it they threw a twinkie or two in there and re-chilled it...

But the all time best (worst) Involved trying to save money on liquor. My housemates and I used to pregame on saturday by spliting a handle of Captain Morgan before we hit the house partys/bars. Every Satyurday (barring a match) was the same routine: Wake up at noon, hit the McD's drive through for supersize Cokes with our Big Mac meals, drive to Badger Beer and get 2 cases beer and a handle of captain, pour captain into the half empty supersize Cokes...
One saturday the "helpful" guy at the store suggests an alternate spiced rum that tastes just like Captain and for the cost of 2 handles of Captain we could get a case (12) 750ml bottles of Mohawk Rum.
We couldn't even finish one bottle. We left the rest of the case in the house when we moved out 2 years later. The new occupants thanked us for the "sweet score" ah to be young and foolish...I always wanted to findout how much they left behind...

I don't even want to remepber the time we made jello shots with generic 151 rum...

What school did you go to in Milwaukee?

ONE, TWO, THREE,
FOUR LOCO

THis is the absolute worst beverage ever concocted by man.....12% alcohol as much caffeine as a pot of coffee and in robutussen like flavorings of grape watermelon, fruit punch and so on this beverage would be bad served in a 1 oz dixie cup but to add insult to injury it is served in 24 oz can. Only a sado masochist would ever drink this malt liquor twice

ONE, TWO, THREE,
FOUR LOCO

THis is the absolute worst beverage ever concocted by man.....12% alcohol as much caffeine as a pot of coffee and in robutussen like flavorings of grape watermelon, fruit punch and so on this beverage would be bad served in a 1 oz dixie cup but to add insult to injury it is served in 24 oz can. Only a sado masochist would ever drink this malt liquor twice
Same here... no wonder its being banned in some places

It was the only booze that was around (at a friend's) & I was also tired, so figured Id give it a try

Same here... no wonder its being banned in some places

It was the only booze that was around (at a friend's) & I was also tired, so figured Id give it a try

Ha! I bet that chick from the Beer Wars movie and her "Moon Shot" beer are pretty much done for now. So much for her great idea.

About ten years ago I ended up the guest at a fairly upscale wedding happening on Long Island. As we'd traveled a bit to get there and were showing up the day before we were invited to the rehearsal dinner at the brides parents place.

By place I mean "mansion."

And by "rehearsal dinner" I mean catered event with more Lobsters than I have ever seen in one place at one time.

Now, I like lobster. Well, that's not quite right. I say I "like" lobster to convince myself that I don't like it more than I really do and start craving some. In short I have the genes for a serious lobster addiction, but not the wallet.

So, as I'm settling in with my ginormous lobster, my butter, a bib and some shell crackers the waiter swings by and asks me what I would like to drink. A VERY good question!

"What do you have for beer?"
"Bud."

*insert uncomfortable silence here*

...and that was it. If I wanted beer I was drinking Bud.

So there I was with my lobster and a Bud. It wasn't as much that it was a bad combo but it just seemed completely out of place.

The next day the bar at the wedding reception was opened and stocked a little more appropriately.

I had a Sam Adams Cranberry Winter Ale some years back and it was not all that great, I even dumped a couple of them and gave the rest to my not so good friends:p

I must admit though Sam Adams kind of redeemed themselves with me on their new Oktoberfest, a traditional Oktoberfest and it is a really good one.

Yeah, I'm 50/50 on Boston Beer myself. I usually get their sampler pack for my family to drink during the holidays.
Oddly enough, the Cherry Wheat (gross) remained untouched, even among my BMC drinking cousins.

I do love their Oktoberfest, Winter Ale, and Honey Porter though. Them's good.

For me, it was probably Rogue Chipotle Ale - just way over the top chile flavor, blech!

I liked this beer.

Worst beer I've ever had is a tough one.

It wasn't bad per se, but I do not like North Coast's Old Stock ale. Just a bit too much for me. Tasted like I was drinking whiskey (not what I'm looking for in a beer)

Back in college in the late 80's I tried Wiedeman's. It was less than $4 a case. I still remember 23+ years later that horrible taste. Olympia was a close 2nd.

Back