5 vs. 6 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaidonjin

Reaction score
I am about to make a Muntons Gold Imperial stout No boil kit. Two cans of malt extract one hopped and one not. It calls to make 6 us Gallons, What would be the likely outcome if I used 5 gallons instead? Would it have to strong a taste? I have never made a stout before, but have been real pleased with the Muntons IPA & Pilsner.

Add water back in before I pitch my yeast?

Actually, it is possible to add water in post fermentation, prior to drinking, but I wouldn't worry about it. I occasionally make Coopers kits and they are also sized for six gallons, but I hear that a lot of people just make them as a five gallon batch and they turn out just fine.

Add water back in before I pitch my yeast?

Or after fermentation, before either kegging or bottling. I'd boil it first just to be sure on sanitation, especially if you do it before pitching yeast. If you have fermentor size limits I'd stick to a 5 gallon ferment (since the headspace can come in handy if you have a rowdy fermentation.)

Occasionally I've done this by just increasing the amount of water I dissolve the bottling sugar in. It helps sanitize the bottling bucket a bit better anyway.

Weigh the ingredients. Multiply by 5 then divide by 6. Use that amount of ingredients.

Your 6 gallon recipe is now a 5 gallon recipe.

Go ahead and make it 5 gallons. Don't worry it will be fine. It will taste stronger, but you won't have as many bottles. I bet they make them 6 gallons so that after you lose trub and all you get at least two cases.

I'm sure the beer will turn out great, but it will be a completely different beer than was intended. Your gravity will be exactly 20% higher than the kit intended, which if I'm not mistaken will also have an effect on the perceived bitterness. The overall flavor profile of the beer will be significantly different, but that not to say it iwll be worse, in fact it could and probably will be better .

I say go for it!:mug:

Perhaps I am more anal than I know - but making a 5 gallon batch with 6 gallons worth of ingredients is mind boggling. You have a few options if you want your brew to finish as advertised.

Buy a bigger carboy

or

Buy 1 gallon of water + 1 stopper + 1 airlock and use water for brew and pour the excess wort in the jug and ferment separately.

or

make 6 gallons pour into your carboy and flush the leftover gallon down the drain.

or

Get a food scale from Wal-Mart if you don't have one. Weigh everything out and make the batch per the recipe by multiplying by 5 and diving by 6. Keep the excess for next batch or toss it.

The last thing I would do is mix 6 gallons of ingredients into only 5 gallons of water.

You have options - Suit yourself.

Perhaps I am more anal than I know - but making a 5 gallon batch with 6 gallons worth of ingredients is mind boggling. You have a few options if you want your brew to finish as advertised.

Buy a bigger carboy

or

Buy 1 gallon of water + 1 stopper + 1 airlock and use water for brew and pour the excess wort in the jug and ferment separately.

or

make 6 gallons pour into your carboy and flush the leftover gallon down the drain.

or

Get a food scale from Wal-Mart if you don't have one. Weigh everything out and make the batch per the recipe by multiplying by 5 and diving by 6. Keep the excess for next batch or toss it.

The last thing I would do is mix 6 gallons of ingredients into only 5 gallons of water.

You have options - Suit yourself.

I have the fermenters to do it at 6 gallons, I was just wondering if I would get a better beer by making it 5 gallons.The consensus seems to be that it would be better..

6.6lbs of extract for a 5 gallon batch should get you about 1.047 og, if you did the same in a 6 gallon batch the og would be about 1.039(these are just beersmith estimates).

Sounds to me that the recipe is for 5 gallons, but then that is just my opinion!

Either way you brew it I am sure it will be just fine!

Back