samuel smiths nut brown ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my own personal thinking on the recipe, I think this malt bill might be appropriate:

10# marris otter
.25#chocolate malt
.5# british crystal (not sure what lovibond, 80? 120?)
.5# - 1# biscuit (or maybe victory malt, to get that nuttiness)

Good strain. If you can't get that, try Wyeast's Ringwood.

Both yeasts are tricky; both are extremely flocculent and like to quit early. Rousing during the ferment might be necessary. Make sure you pitch enough yeast, too. You'll need a starter, slurry or two packages of fresh yeast.

Bob

I did what started as a clone of the SS nut brown a bit ago, here's the bill that I used after a bit of research and toying around with recipes.

5 Gallon batch:

7# Marris Otter
8oz Brown Malt
8oz British 55L crystal
4oz UK chocolate malt

1.25oz EKG@FWH
0.25oz Fuggles@30

I used ringwood, but I'm planning on doing it again with the yorkshire square yeast, turned out quite good.

Edit: I didn't see, partial mash, haha.

partial Mash edition: Replace 7# marris otter with 4#LME, 2# Marris Otter. Add 4oz Biscuit malt.

the final tally was
3# dme
2# marris otter
.5 # choco malt
.5# bisquit
2 0z fuggles.
should be 23 srm/ 21 ibu.. 4.4% abv
only cost me $26
EDIT* also I could not find the wyeast yorkshire square, so I got Nottingham, itll be my first time with it..
any comments on the Nottingham for a brown? seemed like the profile fits nicely..Joe

hmm, looks like I thought that was the partial mash..the biscuit replacing the brown malt and crystal..

guess Ill drop by the lhbs on the way home tonite

This would be the partial mash:

3# DME
2# Marris Otter
8oz Brown Malt
8oz British 55L crystal
4oz UK chocolate malt
4oz Biscuit Malt

This might be my next batch with the Yorkshire Square yeast. Why does the PM recipe include biscuit while the all-grain does not? I've also seen a recipe with Amber malt, how would this compare to biscuit or brown? And thanks for the recipe Freezeblade! You have any more thoughts on that hazelnut flavor, i.e., is Mr. Brown getting closer or further away?

This might be my next batch with the Yorkshire Square yeast. Why does the PM recipe include biscuit while the all-grain does not? I've also seen a recipe with Amber malt, how would this compare to biscuit or brown? And thanks for the recipe Freezeblade! You have any more thoughts on that hazelnut flavor, i.e., is Mr. Brown getting closer or further away?

The little bit of biscuit malt is to simulate maris otter as a base malt when you use extract made from american 2-row. Amber would be similar to brown malt though not as strongly flavored but still having that toasty malt flavor.

After looking at the MR Brown Recipe,( I was smacking lips over that one)
I think this is the right direction , I did not make it to the HBS since they were closed, so on Saturday I will hit them up for the Brown Malt and British Crystal and brew on Sunday.

Will the Nottingham be ok with this?

I figured that's what the biscuit was for, but the fact MO is already in the PM recipe, I was hesitant. I guess that amount is necessary to balance the extract like you said. I've only had MO in stouts in which it's probably overwhelmed, and in Jamil's Amber, which has Munich and Victory as well. For some reason that batch didn't come out well for me - I'd have to blame my process or the ingredients (not recipe). That has me a bit concerned to try the hoppier Evil Twin. Don't worry, proper bitters are coming up ;)

78kombi, I'm sure you'll be fine with the Nottingham.

the Nottingham mite be a little dry ... but will still make a fine brew. You might want to bump up the crystal a little more to leave a bit higher fg. ... I could be wrong though. Either way it will be good.

the Nottingham mite be a little dry ... but will still make a fine brew. You might want to bump up the crystal a little more to leave a bit higher fg. ... I could be wrong though. Either way it will be good.

Nah, just up the mash temp for the Mash portion if you're going to use notty. Normally I do my browns pretty high, around 155-156, but I use lower attenuating yeasts. For notty, maybe 158ish, but on the other hand, I like my browns good and sweet.

ok, I usually mash around 145 for 60-90 minutes to pull as much out as possible, but I like the idea of going 156 since i also enjoy a sweeter brown . that statement just made alot click in my head about the complexity of sugars ..anyway
Just got home from the LHBS with the British 60 and brown malt.
gonna make a starter now so itll be ready for tomorrow.
thanks folks..Joe

ok All went well I think, made a starter with the Nottingham and got some activity in 2 hrs or so, but only got decent fermentation for about 48 hrs. now( wednesday..pitched on sunday night) theres little if no activity at all, guess ill leave it til this saturday then keg it
then let it sit for a few weeks..thanks for all the tips.Im looking forward to this one
heres a link to the Nut Brown recipe
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?group=8&item=8577
( also just kegged my Lager as well!)
heres a link to the Lager recipe if anyone cares..kinda like a sam adams taste to it

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?group=39&item=8539

tasting notes..
so far it taste more like Newcastle than Sam Smiths..not a horrible thing, if I were trying to make a NewCastle....

Latest posts

Back