Aluminium keggle conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolty

Reaction score
I am really looking forward to going all grain, but think I may have hit a stumbling block.

I have just cut the lid off an aluminium (I think) keg and noticed a coating inside of a tan coloured layer (I assume to protect the beer).

Does this need to come off, or is it okay to stay on? I am a touch worried that on boil this may 'go funny'. Though if it is contacting the beer, it must be non-toxic?

I am assuming aluminium due to flat dents in the rim, no noticable sheen, and that I am in the UK.

Cheers for any advice.

I've never popped open a keg with a coating on the inside of it. Try to stick a maginet to the side it wont stick if it's aluminium.

I am just wondering if the coating (looks like it is painted), will be an issue? Especially when the burner is on full blast?

Cheers for the replies.

I just was worrying about it being poisonous (maybe when heated), but I guess it wouldn't be if it is in contact with the beer?

You can not use this keg for boiling. You need to find an all stainless keg. The material in the keg you have is plastic and will melt if heated.

A magnet will stick to the grade of S/S that kegs are made of, not as good as plain steel but enough to tell the differance

We need pics on this keg! We've had a lot of claims of people with aluminum kegs, but they've all turned out to be SS, as far as I know.

You can not use this keg for boiling. You need to find an all stainless keg. The material in the keg you have is plastic and will melt if heated.

+1...perhaps you can use this keg on the cold side as a fermenter? Removing the lining would most likely host another set of problems.

I've never seen a coating in the kegs I've opened up either, if it is plastic then yeah you shouldn't boil in that.

Also I have some fairly strong (hard drive) magnets that don't stick to my SS kegs. Best way to tell is by the scratch test, if it is really easy to scratch, or peel some off with a razor knife then it is aluminum, else SS.

Back