Early Morning Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work 14-16 hour days/nights in the oilfields here, I love working nights because it is so peaceful when I get home. It's quiet, I can hear birds; I usually have a couple beers and get on HBT or just lounge around the quiet house.

What ya brewing?

estricklin said:
I work 14-16 hour days/nights in the oilfields here, I love working nights because it is so peaceful when I get home. It's quiet, I can hear birds; I usually have a couple beers and get on HBT or just lounge around the quiet house. What ya brewing?

A nice American amber I've been working on. Really pumped about it. I recently got hooked on the English Crystal malts, and they've really taken my recipe to a whole other level. Are you brewing today? Cheers!

Brewtah said:
Brewing an Old Ale this morning. I am calling it "I never met a malt I didn't like."

Ha! Love that name. After that long day of work you put in, I'd say you earned a nice brew session. Enjoy!

Brewtah said:
Brewing an Old Ale this morning. I am calling it "I never met a malt I didn't like."
oops! Thought you were Estricklin. Still love that beer name, but not sure if you put in those hours in the oil field ;). Apparently I need some more coffee :)

I love morning brewing. Usually by the time the roommates are up I am about the start the boil.

Yeah I worked last night. On the up side, I work 14 days on, then I get 7 off. So I try to brew like crazy on those 7 days.

I've been hooked on English Choc malt for a bit, am planning a Moose Drool clone on my off days.

I am definitely more happy doing early morning brews. I'm normally done before lunch and can have the rest of the day to do whatever is on the agenda. Hose water temps are lower in the morning which is important in summer brewing.

I love the early morning brews too. Start the mash while it's still dark and watch the sun come up, hot coffee during the rest of the process, and all done and cleaned up by 10:00 a.m.

You guys are awesome. I am typically up by 4 and enjoy brewing first thing in the morning. Nothing like watching the sunrise over a boiling pot and a cup of Java.And everything is still quiet. I thought I was the only one who did this lol

Me too. Usually up and at it by 4:30am on my brew days.
Start the strike water 1st, then the coffee.........:mug:

I may have to sleep in until 6 because that's normal wake up time. But tomorrow, brewing and hopefully bottling. Such great weather here can't wait.

I manage to get a weekday off every few weeks or so, and try to plan my brew days on those. Wife's at work, nobody around. I have a nice breakfast, a few cups of coffee, then set up and brew. Done by noon and have the afternoon to relax or get chores done. Makes for a peaceful day.

Early morning brewer here also. This coming Sunday, I will be up at 0500, mashed in by 0600, done in time for the Pats game.

RLinNH said:
Early morning brewer here also. This coming Sunday, I will be up at 0500, mashed in by 0600, done in time for the Pats game.

I love that I'm not the only one :). On business travel right now but I'm so looking forward to getting home tomorrow and planning an early Sunday brew before the football games. Cheers everyone!

I will be brewing Tues morning an Arrogant bastard oaked clone 3rd time Ive done this with great results

Awesome to hear about more morning brewers. I almost always brew at 5 am. I can be cleaned up and done and still have the day with the kids. The wife gives me no grief about brewing that way. I think she realizes I must love it if I'll get up at 5 on a weekend!

The flippin' dogs get me up at 4 or 5am and I can never get back to sleep.

Today is the first time I'm brewing in the morning. It will go into the slow-chill container by 8:30am and pitch tomorrow.

I might start to like the dogs.

I normally start around 5pm and cleaned up around 11-12pm. Normally im exhausted and just want to be done with it and a little bit drunk.

Tomorrow morning will be my 1st morning brew and Im pretty excited about it! I hope I can drag my ass out of bed early enough to make it worthwhile, I have homework to do during the daytime.

Making an Indian Brown ale btw, hoppy and malty!

The flippin' dogs get me up at 4 or 5am and I can never get back to sleep.

Today is the first time I'm brewing in the morning. It will go into the slow-chill container by 8:30am and pitch tomorrow.

I might start to like the dogs.

My dogs are like kids on the weekend also, they sense it and take turns f'ing with me. A brewday for me is the same level of excitement that every day is for a dog:D

Bring the rig down and I will make you breakfast

I should have finished the sentence to say I doughed in today. Thanks for the invite, but I brewed a nice Dark Lager this morning. Definitely next time. I hope you have a good brew day tomorrow.

Awesome to hear about more morning brewers. I almost always brew at 5 am. I can be cleaned up and done and still have the day with the kids. The wife gives me no grief about brewing that way. I think she realizes I must love it if I'll get up at 5 on a weekend!

Why would she give you grief?

My starter is looking good, plan to start about 6 or 7 in the morning on a nice IPA using warrior and simcoe.

estricklin said:
My starter is looking good, plan to start about 6 or 7 in the morning on a nice IPA using warrior and simcoe.
sounds tasty! I'm at it now myself. Rye IPA with Carastan, chinook, Simcoe, and Cascade. Yum!!

I should of lit the Burner at 0500 when I woke up. I puttered around and didn't light it until 0520. So am now waiting on my Strike water to heat up to 165. Good news is I found some Looney Tunes on Cartoon Network...:ban:

If I spend the heart of the day brewing and not doing something with the kids. Kids have no interest in helping dad with brewing either unfortunately...
Flipadelphia said:
Why would she give you grief?

sounds tasty! I'm at it now myself. Rye IPA with Carastan, chinook, Simcoe, and Cascade. Yum!!

That sounds hoptastic.

Ya I always dick around weighing grain and stuff, when what I should be doing is getting the strike water going.

Man you guys are up and at 'em! I thought that coffee made by 7:45, strike water heating by 8:15, and mashed in by 9am was early but noooooooo! Damn! You guys rock!!!

Early morning for me. set equipment up night before. Set coffee timer for 5.

Fresh cup of Major dickinson coffee in hand, turn on burner. Doughing in by 5:30.

Ugh I should have had more coffee. Just now whirlpooling on batch 2 today. Took a three hour break in between trying to wait on my partner. Didn't start batch two until 4:40 and I had a MASSIVE stuck sparge.

Early morning for me. set equipment up night before. Set coffee timer for 5.

Fresh cup of Major dickinson coffee in hand, turn on burner. Doughing in by 5:30.

Only way to brew and avoid the wind. I can't remember last time it was daylight when I brewed. I usually dough in at about 4am. Best part of the day sometimes. Specialy here in Az.

Back