Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I joined the all-grain club with this brew too. I had some friends over and we brewed on Sunday(getting them hooked on brewing). I'm hoping it'll be ready for a bbq in the beginning of August. I know, a little early but I have some brewing buddies that I think will love this recipe. I've only recently realized that I like certain red ales, if the hop flavor is on the lower end compared to the malts.

Cheers and thanks for the recipe.
I'll post how it turns out.

Steve

Yeah, I joined the all-grain club with this brew too. I had some friends over and we brewed on Sunday(getting them hooked on brewing). I'm hoping it'll be ready for a bbq in the beginning of August. I know, a little early but I have some brewing buddies that I think will love this recipe. I've only recently realized that I like certain red ales, if the hop flavor is on the lower end compared to the malts.

Steve

Welcome to all grain brewing!
If to life lie hopped malty red ales, then you'll love this one

Steve

If you keg it, it should be ready. Bottling, may be cutting it close.

image-3229776116.jpg

Mysticmead said:
that is one awesome looking pint!

Thanks for the recipe, I just got back from visiting friends in Florida and the Irish ale was one of the favorts. It will be a regular at the bar.

I'm going to brew this tommorrow for the first time. I was thinking about adding a teaspoon of irish moss for clarity. Will this affect the taste or recipe negitively?

I'm going to brew this tommorrow for the first time. I was thinking about adding a teaspoon of irish moss for clarity. Will this affect the taste or recipe negitively?

I normally use whirfloc.. irish moss won't hurt at all. have used it before as well as gelatin ... even if I somehow forget to add ANY of those, I always crash cool to drop it clear.

Brewed this yesterday. Hit all my numbers. Love the red color going into the fermenter. Can't wait to taste it in a few weeks.

My 5 gallons of this have been sitting on Medium toast Hungarian oak for over a month now. Beautifully clear and red, nice notes of vanilla. Time to bottle it so I think

I brewed a 5 gallon all grain batch of this and its fermenting now, thanks alot for the recipe. Problem, when i was sparging the water I threw in was alot higher than anticipated because of a broken thermometer. The water with grains while sparging was 180 in the mash cooler. Will this really mess up the beer? What will happen?
Thanks

I brewed a 5 gallon all grain batch of this and its fermenting now, thanks alot for the recipe. Problem, when i was sparging the water I threw in was alot higher than anticipated because of a broken thermometer. The water with grains while sparging was 180 in the mash cooler. Will this really mess up the beer? What will happen?
Thanks

well... I hate to tell you this... but you'll end up with beer. bottle it up and send to me for proper disposal :D

Mysticmead said:
well... I hate to tell you this... but you'll end up with beer. bottle it up and send to me for proper disposal :D

The beer disposal in my house works pretty well but thanks for the offer.

Duffman870727 said:
Yeah, how much oak did you use? I'd really like to try that.

I ended up using an oak stick. Looked like this while sanitizing in Irish whiskey for 3 days.

image-3898502519.jpg

I would use cubes but had to settle for what's available.

Just transferred 5 gal to secondary to keg later and bottled the other 5, while pounding the 1/2 bottle left over. Not sure if I have a bottle from the first batch to compare it to though. I hope I do.

I have an Orange wheat beer ready to be bottled in the next few days so that will keep me going until the end of the summer.:drunk:

I would like to brew this Raging Red next; sounds like it will make a great autumn beer.:rockin:
I have all the grains from the original recipe except for the Carafoam which I will replace with Torrefied Wheat.

Somewhere in this thread it is recommend that the Pale Malt be substituted with Maris Otter because the beer wasn’t malty enough. It might have been because the brewer used Crystal 120 instead of Caraaroma. I will be using Caraaroma; would it still make sense to use the more expensive Maris Otter? I’d actually rather keep what I have for a lighter beer where its flavor would come through better.

I’ll also be using Hallertauer Mittelfrüh instead of the Crystal hops, should be OK.
Yeast will be US-05.

Would love to brew this this weekend but it is currently in the mid 90’s (35oC) here and my fermenting fridge is already occupied.:(

I have an Orange wheat beer ready to be bottled in the next few days so that will keep me going until the end of the summer.:drunk:

I would like to brew this Raging Red next; sounds like it will make a great autumn beer.:rockin:
I have all the grains from the original recipe except for the Carafoam which I will replace with Torrefied Wheat.

Somewhere in this thread it is recommend that the Pale Malt be substituted with Maris Otter because the beer wasn’t malty enough. It might have been because the brewer used Crystal 120 instead of Caraaroma. I will be using Caraaroma; would it still make sense to use the more expensive Maris Otter? I’d actually rather keep what I have for a lighter beer where its flavor would come through better.

I’ll also be using Hallertauer Mittelfrüh instead of the Crystal hops, should be OK.
Yeast will be US-05.

Would love to brew this this weekend but it is currently in the mid 90’s (35oC) here and my fermenting fridge is already occupied.:(

the caraaroma will make it malty so Marris Otter isn't needed. Hallertauer Mittelfrüh is a good clean hop and will do well in this beer. US-05 is a great clean fermenting dry yeast and is a perfect substitute for the whitelabs 001.

Please let me know how the beer turns out for you (although I can guess it'll be awesome)

the caraaroma will make it malty so Marris Otter isn't needed. Hallertauer Mittelfrüh is a good clean hop and will do well in this beer. US-05 is a great clean fermenting dry yeast and is a perfect substitute for the whitelabs 001.

Please let me know how the beer turns out for you (although I can guess it'll be awesome)

Thanks for the reply and the great recipe.
I probably won't get a chance to brew until next month plus it will only my be second time using single step infusion so hopefully I hit the correct numbers.
I usually use the traditional german direct heat multi-step mash.
On my first attempt at infusion I overtrusted Beersmith and used about a gallon too much sparge water. :(
Didn't realise until afterwards I could have boiled off the excess water.:eek:

Anyway I should be able to report back sometime in September :)

I cracked open the first bottle of my attempt at this recipe Thursday night. Admittedly, a little more on the hoppy side than I usually prefer but still tasty.
Then yesterday happened. I took a cooler full of homebrew to a BBQ a friend throws annually. Holy cow! Quite the awesome daytime drink. And very well received by the people I offered it to. I call it a win.
This is definitely going on the regularly brewed list. Thanks for the recipe.

Steve

I cracked open the first bottle of my attempt at this recipe Thursday night. Admittedly, a little more on the hoppy side than I usually prefer but still tasty.
Then yesterday happened. I took a cooler full of homebrew to a BBQ a friend throws annually. Holy cow! Quite the awesome daytime drink. And very well received by the people I offered it to. I call it a win.
This is definitely going on the regularly brewed list. Thanks for the recipe.

Steve

that's what I like to hear :)

if you want to lower the hops bitterness, swap the cascades out with something with lower AA%.. like crystal, hallertauer, saphir, saaz, or ultra. then adjust the time up or down to get the IBU's where you want them. this is where a god brewing software like beersmith2 comes in handy.

I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

I plan on creating this recipe, I wanted to add the taste of brown sugar, do you know what is a great substitute for brown sugar in a grain form? I figured the honey and brown sugar would taste great together. Thanks!

I plan on creating this recipe, I wanted to add the taste of brown sugar, do you know what is a great substitute for brown sugar in a grain form? I figured the honey and brown sugar would taste great together. Thanks!

the honey in this recipe is there for a boost in abv... you won't taste it. the flavor in brown sugar comes from molasses so that might be an option if you really wanted that flavor. either in addition to or substituting for the honey

the honey in this recipe is there for a boost in abv... you won't taste it. the flavor in brown sugar comes from molasses so that might be an option if you really wanted that flavor. either in addition to or substituting for the honey

Thanks I appreciate the help! The reason why I wanted the brown sugar is because I made a PM batch of dangerbrew's "drunken lullaby" (Hopefully, I have the names right) recipe that used brown sugar, but I think I may keep your recipe as the original. I researched the grains that you used, and I think it may produce a similar taste to the PM batch that made.

On a side note: I want to say I look at you FB, and your beers look awesome, and I also plan on using this recipe in a BIAB method.

Again thanks for the advice!

Thanks I appreciate the help! The reason why I wanted the brown sugar is because I made a PM batch of dangerbrew's "drunken lullaby" (Hopefully, I have the names right) recipe that used brown sugar, but I think I may keep your recipe as the original. I researched the grains that you used, and I think it may produce a similar taste to the PM batch that made.

On a side note: I want to say I look at you FB, and your beers look awesome, and I also plan on using this recipe in a BIAB method.

Again thanks for the advice!

thanks! the beers look good and taste even better. I'm going to go into over load brewing mode this weekend... 4 beers to get going for a camping trip in late sept. this will probably be one of them... gonna go from light to dark.... cream ale, IPA, red, stout.. add in a few gallons of mead and it'll be a good camping trip

Just thought I'd drop by this wildly popular thread. I have made my variation of this recipe (basically omitting the honey) for the 14th time; more than any other. I mashed a little lower than IMHO it should have been @152. The result is a thinner product and a slight warming taste. OG 1041 FG 1006. Although the miss in temp it is still a stellar recipe!

If you are hovering wondering if you should brew it; you should ;). Fall is almost here and what could more perfect?

Cheers once again to the OP.

thanks! the beers look good and taste even better. I'm going to go into over load brewing mode this weekend... 4 beers to get going for a camping trip in late sept. this will probably be one of them... gonna go from light to dark.... cream ale, IPA, red, stout.. add in a few gallons of mead and it'll be a good camping trip

That sounds awesome! I am planning on brewing your recipe this weekend, and I wish I could brew more than one as well. I just started out about 6 months ago, so I am currently gathering things here and there. One day I will be able to knock out that many brews, and as well use it for a camping trip. I will post pictures on the final product. Again thanks for the recipe!

Just thought I'd drop by this wildly popular thread. I have made my variation of this recipe (basically omitting the honey) for the 14th time; more than any other. I mashed a little lower than IMHO it should have been @152. The result is a thinner product and a slight warming taste. OG 1041 FG 1006. Although the miss in temp it is still a stellar recipe!

If you are hovering wondering if you should brew it; you should ;). Fall is almost here and what could more perfect?

Cheers once again to the OP.

Hey thanks! Because Mysticmead and you have recommended it, I definitely will be brewing it this weekend, and beer in the fall and winter to me sounds like an idyllic time to drink homebrew. Does anyone know of a similar commercial beer that taste close to this recipe? Since I will be brewing it, I figured I would taste something similar.

Cheers guys:mug:

I'm taking my first crack at this one tomorrow morning. I am doing the "1 lb Honey Malt, 1 lb Brown Sugar" version instead of the honey. Can't wait! I'll post some photos after I get it keged...

Hi,
So I plan on giving this brew a go in a few weeks time.
The original recepie is for BIAB if I use this amount of grain for my setup where I mash in a cooler I should get 5-10 points more for the OG. I’m still working on optimising my system so the chances are that I won’t relalise this but if I do end up with a higher O.G. will this effect the taste of the beer significantly? Would it be advised to dilute it down with a few quarts of pre-boiled and cooled water?
I haven’t had a chance to read all 30+ pages in this thread but has someone already brewed this with an OG of 1.065 to 1.070 and did it still taste as awsome?
Thanks a lot.

Hi,
So I plan on giving this brew a go in a few weeks time.
The original recepie is for BIAB if I use this amount of grain for my setup where I mash in a cooler I should get 5-10 points more for the OG. I’m still working on optimising my system so the chances are that I won’t relalise this but if I do end up with a higher O.G. will this effect the taste of the beer significantly? Would it be advised to dilute it down with a few quarts of pre-boiled and cooled water?
I haven’t had a chance to read all 30+ pages in this thread but has someone already brewed this with an OG of 1.065 to 1.070 and did it still taste as awsome?
Thanks a lot.

what is your brew house efficiency? You have to remember that the ONLY difference between BIAB and a traditional 3 vessel setup is the name and the method. both are All Grain. As such, both rely on the efficiency of your setup. This was designed around 72-75% efficiency. If you get higher efficiency, then you can either roll with a higher OG or adjust the base grain a little to bring it in line. the difference between 72 and 75% is not enough to worry about.

bottom line. brew it. drink it, you won't be disappointed. you'll have a 6-6.5% abv beer. That's such a small difference you won't notice. for what its worth... since creating this recipe I bought my own grain mill and crush a lot finer than my LHBS did.. my efficiency went up and yes I get about 1.065 on this beer. still tastes awesome

what is your brew house efficiency? You have to remember that the ONLY difference between BIAB and a traditional 3 vessel setup is the name and the method. both are All Grain. As such, both rely on the efficiency of your setup. This was designed around 72-75% efficiency. If you get higher efficiency, then you can either roll with a higher OG or adjust the base grain a little to bring it in line. the difference between 72 and 75% is not enough to worry about.

bottom line. brew it. drink it, you won't be disappointed. you'll have a 6-6.5% abv beer. That's such a small difference you won't notice. for what its worth... since creating this recipe I bought my own grain mill and crush a lot finer than my LHBS did.. my efficiency went up and yes I get about 1.065 on this beer. still tastes awesome

Great, thanks for your reply.:mug:
I'm also somewhere about the 70% mark but I have only brewed once with my new system and I oversparged so this brew will go a long way to help determine exactly what my efficiency is. Before this I was doing step mashing with a constant heat source and lautering using the two bucket method. Now I'm doing infusion in a cooler with a bazooka screen. So it will probably take another few brews before I have concrete values. Great that this is such a forgiving brew that apparently tasts great even if you under- or overshoot. :)

Just checking in with an update...this beer keeps getting better. I finally had the chance to sit by a campfire with some in my glass and talk about being a happy camper.

I also passed some along to a co-worker of mine, along with a coffee stout I brewed in May. He really enjoyed both(a little more love towards the stout though) and is thinking about getting into brewing now.

Once again, kudos to you for the recipe, and thanks for sharing.

Steve

Just checking in with an update...this beer keeps getting better. I finally had the chance to sit by a campfire with some in my glass and talk about being a happy camper.

I also passed some along to a co-worker of mine, along with a coffee stout I brewed in May. He really enjoyed both(a little more love towards the stout though) and is thinking about getting into brewing now.

Once again, kudos to you for the recipe, and thanks for sharing.

Steve

awesome. that's the best part of brewing, sharing with friends. Then dragging them into the hobby. Remember, the more people that brew beer, the more beer for you to drink!

I brewed this on Saturday, but the LHBS didn't have Crystal so I subbed Williamette and Cascade. IBU's were a little high for this style. Do you think the hop flavor or bitterness will be too out of balance?

I brewed this on Saturday, but the LHBS didn't have Crystal so I subbed Williamette and Cascade. IBU's were a little high for this style. Do you think the hop flavor or bitterness will be too out of balance?
a little high isn't going to hurt anything. a LOT high will be noticed. Would it be bad? Naaa, but it would be a different beer

Back