SWMBO poses this question. Help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Entrepreneur640

Reaction score
Ok, so my wife is a huge beer lover! She tends to like stouts the most. We recently found out that she is pregnant and she is already missing the delicious nectar of the gods. Is there a way for me to brew alcohol free beer that tastes good? Thanks in advance for all the help.

What about brewing a wort to an FG instead of an OG and hopping like normal, then straight into keg sans pitching yeast and keep it cold on tap?

Forget it, the trouble not worth it, my wife is a porter lover, after reading through the trouble/hassle of trying, just brew bigger beers to age and lager for after the Big Day.

What about brewing a wort to an FG instead of an OG and hopping like normal, then straight into keg sans pitching yeast and keep it cold on tap?

Brewing a stout wort to FG would taste like 5 parts water to one part stout...ech haha

Some of the commercially available n/a beers are about as good as your gonna get...without going to extremes...

just drink it is good for the baby.... Or so they told my wife that about the wine in Eastern Europe.

Not sure what the "medical advice" is these days, is it zero? Can't imagine one 3% stout a day is a detrimental in the second or third trimester. I think the "whiskey moms" spoiled it for everyone with the fetal alcohol syndrome. Of course a bottle of Jack a day and marginal nutrition is horrible....but really?

Entrepreneur640 said:
Ok, so my wife is a huge beer lover! She tends to like stouts the most. We recently found out that she is pregnant and she is already missing the delicious nectar of the gods. Is there a way for me to brew alcohol free beer that tastes good? Thanks in advance for all the help.

That's what milk stout is for.

Look into malta!

Just buy her non alcoholic beer for the 9 months or whatever.

The stuff tastes like s*** but it will taste better than why you would get if you tried to make it;)

I'm no doctor, but I played one from time to time during childhood ;).....
Seriously, IMO if momma is healthy then I can't see how a "taste" here and there could hurt. Now I understand how times have changed, but generally speaking the powers that be have gone way overboard. Just look around you - if it tastes good or is a fun thing to do then it's either banned or given a bad rap. Back in the day, expecting moms smoked cigarettes and drank all the time. And look how we turned out......umm errr I guess she should wait....

Congrats BTW....:mug:

No potential benefit to the child coupled with moderate risk equals do-the-right-thing...O'Doul's Amber with a shot of decaf espresso and a squirt of Hershey's chocolate syrup.

Viola!

Preggers Porter.

There are much worse "real" beers than O'Doul's Amber, FWIW.

My wife is a doula and a midwife. She has done extensive research on this and we also have 4 kids. A beer here and there isn't going to do any harm to the fetus. After the second trimester the brain has all but formed and the risks are lower even. I am not saying that she should get drunk or anything but the doctors in the US have been changing their tune lately too.

I wander if you could boil it after fermentation to get rid of the alcohol and then keg it for carbonation? I don't know how we'll it would work or how it would affect the taste but it might work

You might want to check out Biermuncher's post about making one of his beers non-alcoholic. It doesn't seem to have completely wiped out all the booze but he claims it lowered significantly.

http://***********/low-alcohol-brewing/item/263-brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

I have a friend that quit drinking this year. I added a extra gallon to an IPA I was making and cooked up a six pack of NAIPA. I drank a bottle and it was way better than the crap they sell at the store.

I think my parents, and I, succumbed to the onslaught of visual stimuli as I still believe this to be true;

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=g...hlQWTsYEw&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=896

tumblr_ll3tc8Ic971qeje5to1_500.jpg

:rockin::fro::mug:

Thanks everyone! I also wondered if I could boil the batch after fermentation and keg it to carbonate. It sounds like she will just have to suffer for a while. I will try to not enjoy my beer too much in front of her ; )

I'm no doctor, but I played one from time to time during childhood ;).....
Seriously, IMO if momma is healthy then I can't see how a "taste" here and there could hurt. Now I understand how times have changed, but generally speaking the powers that be have gone way overboard. Just look around you - if it tastes good or is a fun thing to do then it's either banned or given a bad rap. Back in the day, expecting moms smoked cigarettes and drank all the time. And look how we turned out......umm errr I guess she should wait....

Congrats BTW....:mug:

:D:
Love the name IPA-hole too

Thanks everyone! I also wondered if I could boil the batch after fermentation and keg it to carbonate. It sounds like she will just have to suffer for a while. I will try to not enjoy my beer too much in front of her ; )

Did you see the BYO link posted by cswest on the previous page? Looks pretty good. Thought I may try it even though I lack a pregnant spouse.

Link, reposted

Yes, just brew and ferment like normal, after fermentation if finished, heat up your beer just to a boil and cool, add yeast and priming sugar if your going to bottle, if you keg just transfer and put it on the gas to carb up.

Sorry if I am repeating what others have said as I only read the OP and 1 or 2 replies.

Cheers :mug:

The German deli down the street sells non alcoholic malt beverages, you may want to try one of them.

cswest said:
http://***********/low-alcohol-brewing/item/263-brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

I have a friend that quit drinking this year. I added a extra gallon to an IPA I was making and cooked up a six pack of NAIPA. I drank a bottle and it was way better than the crap they sell at the store.

The Friend liked it so much that he went out and got the ingredients for a five gallon batch of porter.

Back