Yeast Washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwinzing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled the trub out of my conical (waited 24 hours) and now have pulled some yeast. Put it in the mason jar put it in the fridge and let it sit. It has multiple layers now. There is a small band on top, some clear liquid, then a couple of inches of cloudy liquid. Is the stuff on the bottom more trub and should I try and pour the other stuff off into another clean mason jar? Or is it all ok and leave until I am ready to use and make a starter out of the entire thing?

Thanks

What I do is a few pulls before I want the yeast. Sound like you have some trub mixed in there. Do a small pull when fermentation is going and repeat for the next 3 days. Now when you do a pull it should all be the same creamy color.

Leave it in the fridge as is. Water washing yeast selects the low flocculators and puts 95% of the viable yeast down the drain.

Back