Towers on Keezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on putting a tower tap on a lid of a keezer. I'm making a chest fridge (see another post) and am trying to figure out where to put the taps. It will start life with just a party tap, but would like to upgrade at some point in time. Unfortunately its too short to mount the taps on the side. I already have a PVC pipe of large diameter. I could put a 90 degree bend and mount it on the side but the lid makes more sence. I just worry about lifting the lid and tower attached to it. Is it a non-issue or is it a pain to have the tower on the lid?

I wondered the same thing because you don't see many people doing it. I had an old kegerator that wasn't cooling properly and had no issues taking the tower off of it and placing it on a chest freezer. One issue you may run into is foaming due to temperature differential, but you can fix that with a fan or some copper tubing ran from the tap down into the keezer.

I think many people don't do this because the tower is just another piece of equipment that must be purchased compared to the collar method.

One other thing to consider is wall clearance when trying to open the lid with the tower attached. If I want to open mine fully, I have to move the keezer about a foot away from the wall.

ab_oct_15_2011_11_sm.jpg

Functional minimalism, right down to the tap tags...

Cheerss!

Drilling through the side of a chest freezer is bad juju - you have both cooling and heating coils running in the walls on modern units to worry about. You might pull it off but there's no need to risk failure.

I run CO2, 12V DC and the probe for my controller through grommeted holes in the back edge of the lid, next to the feed to the interior light (which has its own mercury switch)...

ab_jun_24_2011_12_sm.jpg

ab_jun_24_2011_36_sm.jpg

fwiw, these shots were from almost two years ago. I've lengthened all the beer lines to 10 feet since then. Before that I was using mixer sticks...

Cheers!

You could make a collar like the side mounts and then put a lift able top on it.

That's what I did and could not be happier.

I put plexiglass on the tap side and handles on the other. I also put spray on foam on the bottoms to keep the cold air from escaping.

If you want more pictures let me know

image-3022900840.jpg

I like that idea of a "lid on a lid" access door.

No reason to lift the entire structure if you don't have to.

Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner. AnOldUR, that is genious. I'll have to try something like that. Concidering the only reason I'm making my kegorator thing-magiggy is the wife is out of town, I'll have to add that later.
Thanks for the inspirations.

Drilling through the side of a chest freezer is bad juju - you have both cooling and heating coils running in the walls on modern units to worry about. You might pull it off but there's no need to risk failure.

It's only bad juju if you go full bore with the bit. You can drill just enough to get through the outer skin and see what your drilling into.

- Destin

genius idea right there with the flip top tower
Thanks, but if I had it to do again, I'd consider something like Kayakr's. Mine can be kept up against the back wall, but needs room to swing the lid to the side. I'm liking the removable top section.

102760d1361417158-towers-keezers-image-3022900840.jpg

I think I'm going to try a mini tower on the very edge of the front, maybe 4-5 inches tall. Just enough to give me better height. The drip tray would be attached below it on the front.
Kayakrs idea is very nice, but I don't actually have a keezer, I have a small chest fridge I made from scratch with a cooling element I took out of a mini-fridge. I put the door on top making it a lid.

The reason i did it this way was because i did not want to drill through my lid. (i may use it later for a freezer, but only after i upgrade to a bigger Keezer) I also did not like having to bend over everytime i wanted to pour a beer like with the collar way of doing it.

I like AnOldUr's idea but i would be afraid that the taps might open when you flip it over(especially with big tap handles because of weight)

You can probably make something similar to this for yours. Do you have pictures of your chest fridge you made?

Back