Collar bone pain after drinking homemade cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigWomanLover

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to make homemade cider these days. I'm here to ask if did i just make something wrong?

I have mixed apple juice and sugar and started fermentation with this, using yeast. After four days, i just wanted to taste that.

It was pretty alcoholic, but after drinking that, i felt pain near collar bone. That was a worrying experience for me. I threw up and the pain was over.

Now I want to know where I am wrong. I researched a bit about this and people tell me that I must filter the yeast before drinking. So, was bacteria the reason of my pain?

Here are photos of the drink.

http://imgim.com/940incid7124250.jpg
http://imgim.com/img_0862.jpg

And I took a video of the fermentation

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a different hobby... have you considered stamp collecting? No wait that night be too hard on the shoulder. Maybe you should consider moping around, I hear that is easy on the collar bone.

klyph said:
It's my professional medical opinion that you are undergoing a transformation into a minotaur.

Sweet..where is the op so I can capture this mythical beast?

The pic looks so cloudy it could not have been close to being done.

Guys i am not trolling, i wish i were. (trolling was my hobby in some turkish forums lol)

So? Do I need to ferment more?

Btw, is it wrong that i am using sugar?

Are you fermenting in a wine bottle?

Am I really feeding a troll?

Yeah don't do that :)

do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg

BigWomanLover said:
Guys i am not trolling, i wish i were.

So? Do I need to ferment more?

Btw, is it wrong that i am using sugar?

You wish you were trolling?....

Ferment til it clears or gravity readings tell you it is done.

Without getting into a definition of cider argument you can add sugar although it may take on different names...cider, hard cider, apple wine...etc. There is a pretty popular thread for an apple based beverage with added sugar...edworts apfelwein.

Sorry, about the unhelpful response, but your post is well... odd, but I'll go along.

you shouldn't be drinking any recipe I know of after 4 days. You should check the specific gravity with a hydrometer after it has had a chance to ferment. Sounds like you are doing an apflewein, they usually take about 6 weeks according to Edwort's recipe.

Once the gravity is stable for 3 days, the primary fermentation is over, and it's ready for bottling, clearing, etc...

I haven't heard of some one getting a sore shoulder and throwing up from homebrew before, not that it couldn't happen I guess. Remember, correlation is not causation, the events you describe all could have been unrelated. Just saying.

But with out knowing more about the specifics of your process, like cleaning and sanitation, what type of yeast, temperatures, etc... I mean if you didn't have fairly sanitary water to begin with, there might have been something else unrelated to the yeast. But usually things like that are not remedied quickly by throwing up once.

Most people on here do not filter their beer as far as I know. I have made apfelwein and it was very clear after about 5 weeks.

Over all your post suggests you might want to do some more reading, try browsing the stickies in the beginners and cider forums, there are lots of good techniques described there.

There is a book by an author named John Palmer available free on line too. It's very good, if a little out of date.

Good luck :mug:

I've actually had it happen to me once or twice when mixing sugar and alcohol (shoulder / chest pains). The first time that happened to me I was at a party in high school and I think I had beer then wine coolers. The second time, I think I had a few beers and then maybe candy? Years later it happened to my girlfriend and she thought she was having a heart attack. If I remember correctly she had a couple of beers with lunch and then something sweet after. Knock wood, it hasn't happened to me in years. Then again, I just took melatonin about an hour ago so I could be dreaming all of this...

I just realized this thread is a year old. Time to turn off the computer and let the melatonin win the battle.

when the diaphragm is irrated you can get referred pain to the collarbone, due to the crossing of certain nerve bundles. if your cider is producing gas in your stomach or small intestine you can experiences this type of pain due to a stretch mechanism. try taking a gas-ex or other antacid. cheers, JM, MD

Back