Decoction Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
will someone explain Decoction Mashing in laymans terms, Ive read a couple articles on it but does not make sense to me, from what I gathered it meant to boil a part of the mash? is that with the grains? if so how much? boil grains? wouldnt that extract tannins? I dont get it.

100s of brewers did it a 100 years ago and it created the most popular beer styles in the world.

take away a portion of the THICKEST part of the mash, very little of the wort and boil it.

always heard not to let the mash get above a certain temperature or you'll extract tannins, so decoction sounded kind of like hocus pocus to me.

but, it's very simple: You will only extract tannins from the mash if both:
- Temperature over 175°
- pH over 5.8-6.0

So, as long as your mash pH is in the correct range, you can boil the mash and not extract tannins

I am very much a visual learner. I can read about something all day long and not 'get it' but when I watch someone else do it, everything clicks. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
THe video was awsome! I understand now thanks! so as long as the PH is in the upper range tannins will not be released so what if not all styles benefit from decoction mash

with today's modified malts, it is really not necessary or beneficial. I did it once. It was fun to make been using the same methods from hundreds of years ago. It really made brewing possible before we understand all of the chemistry that took place in the mash, and with the absence of a thermometer. It took a long time, of course. I would do it again, but not routinely.

Back