Flat beer in the line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
I recently started kegging and am experiencing flat beer in the line if I go more than a few days between pours. I don't have a kegerator, just one keg sitting in the fridge with a 6' line and picnic tap. The line stays coiled and hangs over the top edge of the keg. I usually have to pour off what is in the line and dump that, as soon as the beer that was in the line has passed through, perfectly carbonated beer comes out.

Any ideas?

Either drink more often, or continue as you have been.
This happens to all of us, and I don't know of any other solutions.

Either drink more often, or continue as you have been.
This happens to all of us, and I don't know of any other solutions.

It doesn't happen to me :confused:

When it's not in motion, the beer in the line is under the same pressure as the rest of the keg, so there's no reason for it to lose carbonation... unless it's warmer than everything else, or if you're losing carbonation while you pour because your system isn't balanced out.

I suppose CO2 could be permeating out through the wall of the tubing, but I think that's pretty unlikely. If that's the case, try switching to thicker tubing?

According the the site where I buy my stuff a 3/16" beer line holds 1/6 ounce per foot. So that's like an ounce and a half in the line. Doesn't seem like enough to make a difference in perceived cabonation. I've never noticed at least. How much are you pouring out?

chickypad said:
According the the site where I buy my stuff a 3/16" beer line holds 1/6 ounce per foot. So that's like an ounce and a half in the line. Doesn't seem like enough to make a difference in perceived cabonation. I've never noticed at least. How much are you pouring out?

I usually pour out about a half pint. That's with 10' lines. If I don't, that first pour definitely tastes flat.

Im just pouring out the amount that was left in the line, maybe 1/2 of a cup? It's not really the end of the world, I just wondered if I was doing something wrong. The line is coiled and hanging on the keg, I wouldn't think the temperature difference would be that great. I guess drinking more beer is the ONLY option.

Back