2013 Homebrewing Resolutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhhh boy this list goes on and on!!

-Design a label
-Mash in/serve from a pumpkin
-Make a starter for every batch
-Bottle a belgian with corks 'n cages
-Perfect at least two house beers
-Convert 2 of my friends to avid homebrewers!

I'm sure there are more!

Here is my list:

-get a stainless steel brew pot
-try to make a red stripe clone (for my 1 yr anniversary. We went to Jamaica for our honeymoon)
-find a recipe my wife likes
-make at least one good mead

1) Focus on ingredients (especially hops) with SMaSH/near SMaSH brews.
2) Diversify - brew more styles I haven't done.
3) Get better at planning ahead (including follow-through)

Brew twice a month and start kegging (and build a keezer) if funds allow. Kegging will definitely help me brew twice a month at least, not having to worry about bottles and such.

Short term:

Transition to 2.5 gallon BIAB batches (can do with my current equipment)
Start using some sort of fermentation temp control

Long Term:

We're house shopping, so brew space is a consideration there
Once settled in to new house, transition to 5 gallon BIAB or traditional All-grain batches
Transition to kegging
Have BBQ&Brew parties with friends at said new house!!

- brew more.
- deplete my hop stockpile
- use my homegrown hops
- find local malt and make a 100% local beer
- use my house yeast twice.
- use my wild (now domesticated) yeast twice.
- make an IPA out of my wild yeast.
- replenish the sour patch
- bottle my lambic (been two years)
- bottle my other sours
- make an old fruitcake ale
- find something else brew related to geek out on.

there's more, but damn - too much good stuff.

Make better beer.

Never run out of saison, which is tricky. It seems the more of it I brew, the more of it I drink.

Get a few recipes dialed.

Win some medals. I know, it's lame. But I really want my beer to be better than everyone else's. :D

Make more beer throughout the year
Drink more beer throughout the year

My resolution is to make a pumpkin porter for my brothers wedding in October. I cant find many recipes using actual pumpkin instead of spices. I want to make a porter with real pumpkin in it by October. So I have only brewed 1 Extract, and 3 all grain recipes so far in my "homebrewing career". So this means I have to come up with my own recipe for this beer. I have till October to get it done!

opXus said:
My resolution is to make a pumpkin porter for my brothers wedding in October. I cant find many recipes using actual pumpkin instead of spices. I want to make a porter with real pumpkin in it by October. So I have only brewed 1 Extract, and 3 all grain recipes so far in my "homebrewing career". So this means I have to come up with my own recipe for this beer. I have till October to get it done!

Austin homebrew has a pumpkin porter that uses real pumpkin as well as spice.

More to the point..
1. Brew more
2. Get my mash temps down pat
3. I have all the kegging equipment but am having trouble getting it to function. So I need to figure that out. SOON

My resolution?

Make the best damn beer of all time! perfect my evolving process, acquire more quality enhancing equipment, and tweek my recipes to the point of perfection!
maybe earn a medal or two along the way. seems like a plan

-75 gallons (50 gallons in 2012)
-Kegging
-more SMaSH (1 in 2012)
-more lagers (1 in 2012)
-win another Competition (1 in 2012)
-get my wife to brew a batch with me
-check back to this thread and see how well in did on dec 31 2013

I'd like to brew at least once a month. That was the one 2012 goal that I fell short of (only 10 batches in 2012)

Other than that I'd like to start brewing a few lagers (Oktoberfest) and some higher gravity ales that I can age like a RIS.

For me 2012 was a year of investing in my equipment and setup (chest freezer and temp controller for fermentation, grain mill, stir plate, additional kegs). Now that I have all the bells and whistles I'd like to just hunker down and brew and share my beer with friends and family.

1: fermentation temp control
2: 75-80% efficiency
3: perfect my yeast bank.
4: use better water.

Primary: Learn to weld
Secondary: Build a semi-automated brew sculpture.

My goals for 2013:

• finish homebrew automation [or at the very least, finish my brew rig]
  • better fermentation control [ie refridgerator]
  • brew a sour beer

• convert the 2 sankes i have to keggles
  • perfect my IPA (almost there) + 1 other house beer
  • build a keezer
  • build a single tier stand (probably won't happen)
  • read "Yeast"
  • mess around with my water chemistry

I have so many ideas in my mind, but I'm going to keep this list to things I know I can do. I'm keeping it manageable, because I don't want to get overwhelmed. ("Hey, honey. How about I build a brew shack outside? No? Ah. Hmm. Okay. We'll talk about it.")

In no particular order:

• Enter at least one homebrew competition (check! Signed up for one yesterday. Just need to send the beer in a few weeks.)
  • Brew a sour saison/farmhouse ale
  • Brew a russian imperial stout
  • Brew (?) a mead
  • Learn to cultivate wild yeast. Use that yeast and water from the stream behind my house to brew a very, very local beer (a saison, most likely)
  • Start really nailing down my efficiency
  • Give a little more attention to the science side of brewing (ph levels, for example)
  • Lose weight, still brew and drink beer

I could list more, but I'm going to keep it small for now.

Brew my 1st 5 gallon batch solo

Exploit the characteristics that I most enjoy

Be patient

For all the folks who have lose weight or excercise more as resolutions, beer can help! I've started running and brewing podcasts have made it much easier, or at least less boring.

-upgrade to a 10 gal brew pot for full boils.
-upgrade to all grain brewing, most likely cooler build system. Read up on effective AG brewing here.
-attempt lager in pilsner style.

Get an AG set up going, make some recipes, make a house beer, start kegging, and maybe enter a contest. I wanna do all these but I'll be happy if I do half. Oh and brew more and make mead.

- Clean out and organize the basement
- Decide on the design of a new electric brewery and get it built (in the basement) so I can brew indoors in the winter
- Get my fermentation chamber finished
- Get the grain mill built
- Try and brew something SWMBO likes

What the heck, I'll even say I'm going to get my keggles built this year. Doubt it, but resolutions are made for breaking, right?

Latest posts

Back