bottling red wine in clear bottles - does it matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've a big ol' red amarone I want to bottle soon. I've a ton of clear bottles, but only a few green bottles.

If I plan on storing this in a closet, does it really matter if I use clear bottles for a red I plan to age a couple of years?

I can't see why it would make a difference beyond aesthetics if it was going to be stored in a dark place while aging. All the green bottles do is block a bit more light.

I've bottled some amarone in clear bottles myself. I have a cellar, and it's a cool dark dungeon like place so light exposure isn't an issue. If you can protect it from heat and light, the color of the bottle doesn't matter.

Thanks.

Next question - long term storage: vertical or horizontal with natural corks? I've read conflicting info.

first few days to a week vertical, then on its side

Yep! Always, unless you're using caps or something like in beer bottles.

You let it sit upright for a couple of days for the cork to un-compress from being compressed in the corker to get pushed into the bottles, and then lie the bottles on the side for storage.

Back