Add Cherry Extract or leave it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boo-urns

Reaction score
I just tasted the sample of my cherry wheat. I used 5lbs fresh cherries (5gal batch) and didn't really notice much cherry flavor coming through.

Primary 2 weeks
Secondary with cherries for 10 days.

Should I add some cherry extract or just leave it and chalk it up as just a wheat beer?

SG 1.044

Gravity reading today 1.010

I usually do both; real fruit aded to the primary and 4oz of fruit extract added at bottling.

so, in my opinion, if you wanted more cherry flavoring, add the extract at bottling time

although i would be careful with the cherry, I have read on here that it can taste like cough syrup if too much is used. I would add apprx 1 oz at a time, stir gently, and taste to see if the flavor is appropriate.

I'm at the same place with my raspberry wheat. I have four ounces of extract but only plan on using about two. When all is said and done, if its not flavored enough then next time I will try more. Worst case scenario, its a slightly flavored wheat but too much and it could be "hard to swallow". Good luck

I have a couple 1 gallon glass jugs that are great to siphon off and try an experiement on the side. I have a Nut Brown Ale with 1 gallon pulled off with licorice root, Orange Zest, and a bit of corriender in it... Did not want to do it to the full 5gallons, so using 1 gallons instead.

I just tasted the sample of my cherry wheat. I used 5lbs fresh cherries (5gal batch) and didn't really notice much cherry flavor coming through.

Primary 2 weeks
Secondary with cherries for 10 days.

Should I add some cherry extract or just leave it and chalk it up as just a wheat beer?

SG 1.044

Gravity reading today 1.010

Next time you might try this:
http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/just-juice/organic-just-tart-cherry/

Or the concentrate:
http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/concentrates/black-cherry/

Regards, GF.

Thanks GF. I will try that out next time. I wanted to try the cherries from my tree this round.

Back