Ginger Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SodaMeUp

Reaction score
I am working on a recipe that involves honey and this is my recipe

1 Cup honey
freshly grated ginger root (1 1/2-2 tablespoons)
juice of one lemon 1/4 tablespoon (Red star Champagne/Beer Yeast)
2 liters of water :confused:

My recipe:

5 Qts Water
4 lbs (about 3 cups) honey
1/2 lb shredded/grated ginger
5 oz Key Lime juice
2 cups Pineapple juice
1.5 tsp Vanilla

I usually make 6 gallon batches rather than the 1.5 gallon I listed here. I use Ginger Beer Plant rather than yeast to carbonate.

I am working on a recipe that involves honey and this is my recipe

1 Cup honey
freshly grated ginger root (1 1/2-2 tablespoons)
juice of one lemon 1/4 tablespoon (Red star Champagne/Beer Yeast)
2 liters of water :confused:

I would say you should use more ginger, and you should also use more citrus of your choice. The ginger will counteract the citrus flavor. If you want more bite add peppercorns or a small portion of spicy pepper.

My recipe:

5 Qts Water
4 lbs (about 3 cups) honey
1/2 lb shredded/grated ginger
5 oz Key Lime juice
2 cups Pineapple juice
1.5 tsp Vanilla

I usually make 6 gallon batches rather than the 1.5 gallon I listed here. I use Ginger Beer Plant rather than yeast to carbonate.

This sounds neat, though I'm not sure about the use of vanilla in ginger ale, I usually like it crisp instead of creamy. I'll have to try it.

Can you inform on ginger beer plant?

Do you bottle in glass or plastic?

Ginger beer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just think of it as a specialized yeast.

I much prefer glass, in my mind it just tastes better, for no real reason. Of course if you do go this route, put glass bottles in a large thick plastic container to contain explosions.

But you should start with plastic. PET bottles easily hold up to 200psi, so you're much better off with when it comes to popping bottles. You can also squeeze them to tell when they've been pressurized to the appropriate level. Most people warn against using these bottles more than 10 or so times, and it's probably wise; That said, i've still got 2L PET bottles from when I started making soda that I still use.

This sounds neat, though I'm not sure about the use of vanilla in ginger ale, I usually like it crisp instead of creamy. I'll have to try it.

It's not really creamy, the vanilla just sort of provides a canvas for the lime and pineapple to play off of, which provide a citrusy counter-point for the Ginger and honey. Over all you get a complex and shockingly sharp flavor.

I use vanilla extract in my ginger beer (about 1/8 tsp/2L) and it really brings out the other flavors. I also add raisins, which add some real complexity to the flavor.

Pineapple juice has me intrigued!

Back