Making a Bubbly/Champagne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper250

Reaction score
My parents 40th anniversary is 2 years away and I would like to give them something champagne like as a present. Obviously most wine kits would work to make a bubbly I am however stuck when it comes to getting the carbonation in the bottle without using a bottle fermentation. Any suggestions on how to get it to reach the appropriate level of carbonation without leaving a bunch of sediment on the bottom?

buy a chardonnay kit, make it as directed, keg it, at 20psi for two weeks, get a blichmann beer gun and fill some 22oz bottles the week of the anniversary.

No, unless you want to try méthode champenoise, or disgorging the lees after keeping the bottles upside down and then recapping really quick to maintain CO2. Way more trouble than I'd try to do, but you may decide it's worth it.

It'll be a toss up on the keg or bottle condition I don't think I'll be doing the méthode champenoise for this batch.

Filling from a keg could work. But, champagne is usually VERY carbonated, over 5 volumes probably. Bottling something that carbonated from a keg will be a project in itself. I have tried bottling 3.5 volume Belgian beers, and it was a little tough. YMMV of course, I would suggest practicing with highly carbonated water or something before you go to bottling your hard work.

You're gonna need champagne bottles too, they can take a much higher pressure than regular bottles. Either you're already aware of this, or that could have been a massive disaster.

how would Cooper Carbonation Drops work? My local shop just got a supply in and suggested it as I was getting the bottles.

how would Cooper Carbonation Drops work? My local shop just got a supply in and suggested it as I was getting the bottles.

That would work great. Except it'd be just like priming sugar, so you'd get a ton of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. It's yucky in something like champagne, because you don't usually empty the bottle in one pour like you do with beer. Each lift of the bottle would resuspend the sediment, making each pour full of floating stuff.

Latest posts

Back