Island Mist Green Apple Riesling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Folken

Reaction score
I finally bottled my first adventure into brewing today. Needless I spilled a good amount of it on the carpet and my pants, due to underestimating the speed at which the bottles fill up and a frustrating bottle filler that kept getting the little tip stuck.

Reading through all the stuff people have posted over the years has been really helpful, to the point that if I had a question about something, it was more than likely someone had already asked it. I'm really glad to have discovered this site!

Maybe its because I've never really drank much wine, or because I've been away from the college environment a few years, I wasn't expecting a simple 6.5%abv drink to make me feel this loopy after just a glass. Guess someone needs to work on building up that old tolerance again.

Next, I am thinking of trying out the EdWort's Apfelwein that everyone seems to think so highly of. I got the green apple riesling kit because I was thinking apples, but I didn't even realize that riesling is just a type of white wine, and the kit backsweetens/flavors with the apple f-pack at the end.

If I can pull off the apfelwein I also think I'll feel a tad bit more proud of myself for being able to do something that didn't just come all boxed together in a kit.

Something else I was thinking of giving a shot, eventually, was a banana wine.

Thoughts? Input?

To prevent spillage making a mess, I bottle over the top of my dishwasher. Set the bucket up on the counter above, open the dishwasher door, and use the open dishwasher door as kind of a table for your bottles. Then, any spillage gets cleaned the next time you run the dishwasher. :)

My first batch of wine was moscato (from a kit) and it seemed much higher than 11% ABV. I think that there are some side products sometimes that are made, that make homemade wine more intoxicating... maybe fusels or something? I don't know, but I had the same experience with my first batch.

My last batch of Island Mist was the Blackberry Merlot and it didn't get us drunk nearly as fast as that batch of moscato did. :mug:

I know the Island Mist is only supposed to be 6% and the moscato was supposed to be 11%, but the moscato was way more than twice as strong somehow.

Congratulations on your brew, and I highly recommend the apfelwein!

To prevent spillage making a mess, I bottle over the top of my dishwasher. Set the bucket up on the counter above, open the dishwasher door, and use the open dishwasher door as kind of a table for your bottles. Then, any spillage gets cleaned the next time you run the dishwasher. :)

My first batch of wine was moscato (from a kit) and it seemed much higher than 11% ABV. I think that there are some side products sometimes that are made, that make homemade wine more intoxicating... maybe fusels or something? I don't know, but I had the same experience with my first batch.

My last batch of Island Mist was the Blackberry Merlot and it didn't get us drunk nearly as fast as that batch of moscato did. :mug:

I know the Island Mist is only supposed to be 6% and the moscato was supposed to be 11%, but the moscato was way more than twice as strong somehow.

Congratulations on your brew, and I highly recommend the apfelwein!

I wish I could, but lugging a 6 gallon carboy all the way downstairs and into the kitchen would be one heck of a task. I'm thinking of just putting down the spill mat I have for refilling my aquariums next time. And I have no idea what was going through my head that made me forget about it.

Back