Backsweeten with Cranberry Concentrate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George7845

Reaction score
I love cranberry juice and was tossing around the idea of back sweetening my hard apple cider with a couple cans of cranberry concentrate rather than apple concentrate. This is my first batch of cider so im really not sure, any ideas?

You can certainly do that, but cranberry is a bolder flavour than apple & I think it would be easy for the cranberry to overwhelm the apple flavour... But if you like it, go for it. Considering that this is your 1st batch of apple cider, you might want to see how it turns out as apple cider; you could split the batch & add the cranberry to 1/2 of it. Regards, GF.

i pour a little cranberry in with my johnny jumpup. I hate it on its own. Love it with the cran

I have experimented with a lot of different concentrates and have been thinking of using cranberry as well. If you go ahead with this let us know how much you used and how it turned out!

i pour a little cranberry in with my johnny jumpup. I hate it on its own. Love it with the cran

Not trying to hijack this thread, but, I'm also making a batch of JJup and love cb juice, when and how much cranberry did you add?? and how does it affect carbing?

George,
I like your idea of cranberry with the hard apple cider. I have decided my next experiment will be utilizing around 12 oz. of fresh cranberries, basically pureed by a processor and throwing it into the 3 gallon carboy of apple juice. That oughta give the little yeasties something to bite onto!

There is a local cider house here that has tried to make various fruit ciders, but they don't turn out as well, so they make apple cider and then flavor/backsweeten with other fruit juice. In fact, any time you see a "pear cider", that is exactly what happened (cider made only from pears will be labeled "perry"). So that is basically what you are talking about - making a cranberry flavored cider.

Candle,
Do you think using actual cranberries is better than just adding juice? It would seem like actual cranberries would ferment for a longer period of time to break down the sugars in a rawer form.

Back