how to use spreadsheet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubbs5150

Reaction score
ok i'm stumped. i've been trying to punch numbers into palmers spreadsheet but i can't get it to work. or any of the other spreadsheets for that matter. everyone has been really helpful on here so if anyone could walk me through the process. i have my water profile i just don't know if i'm not doing it correctly on my computer or maybe i don't have the correct program to run the spreadsheets.

thanks for any help.

is it the spreadsheet from here: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Residual Alkalinity and Mash pH ?
are you opening them in microsoft excel, open office, or a similar program?

if yes, the spreadsheet is color coded. wherever you see a yellow box is where you input your data, the blue-green boxes will change automatically based on what you input. the spreadsheet is unprotected and unlocked so if you happen to change any fields other than the yellow ones you pretty much need to delete the file and download it again to be sure you're getting correct data.

Back