Sweet Beer... Eww!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a problem with sweet beer? I have trouble finishing a beer if it is even moderately sweet these days. At a beer swap this weekend, several of the beers I tried were almost too sweet to drink, including Bell's Expedition Stout, Abita TurboDog, Abita Jockamo IPA and a Brooklyn Brewery Stout I had on tap at a bar. It seems like some other people really enjoy these beers. Am I just overly sensitive to the sweetness, or do many of you also have the problems I do with these brews? I love maltyness, but sweetness I can't handle.

What were you drinking before you had these beers? I notice that some beers will taste insanely sweet after I've had something like a dry IPA. There are also a lot of beers that are just sweeter than others, and it may not agree with your palate. You can't like EVERYTHING. :)

malty sweetness & fruity yeast esters = yum
absolutely anything else (added fruit, honey, non-fermentable sugars) = blechhh!

Try those same beers in the dead of winter.

I find that seasonality is a big factor in my appetite for certain beers. Octoberfests never taste as good at a 4th of July party as they do while deep frying a turkey on Thanksgiving.

I can't drink Harp because it tastes too sweet to me, but I love Expedition Stout. Go figure...

Try those same beers in the dead of winter.

I find that seasonality is a big factor in my appetite for certain beers. Octoberfests never taste as good at a 4th of July party as they do while deep frying a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Maybe that is why I don't like a RIS. There is maybe a 5-10f temp change from 7/04 and Thanksgiving
We deep fry while wearing shorts and flip-flops

What were you drinking before you had these beers? I notice that some beers will taste insanely sweet after I've had something like a dry IPA. There are also a lot of beers that are just sweeter than others, and it may not agree with your palate. You can't like EVERYTHING. :)

You might be on to something here. A few of us had just killed a growler of Ommegang Lambic right before I tried the Abita IPA.

Latest posts

Back