This pisses me off soo much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading s*!t like that pisses me off to.

I'm a happy Pit Bull owner.

261347e7918fd5163.jpg

MikeFlynn74 said:
Why? Why is the type of dog mean anything in this article???
er-- seems to me that is 'positive spin'. This is a pit bull-- a much maligned breed-- that is being characterized in a postive way. I don't see why one would object to this.

that is being characterized in a postive way. I don't see why one would object to this.

Then they need to call it by its full name- American Pit Bull Terrier.

I still dont think the type of dog should even matter. Plus the majority of people will only see the words Pitt Bull and think a cute little child was ripped from its mothers arms and shredded into a million pieces, furthering the idiocy that is breed specific legislation.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Then they need to call it by its full name- American Pit Bull Terrier.

I still dont think the type of dog should even matter. Plus the majority of people will only see the words Pitt Bull and think a cute little child was ripped from its mothers arms and shredded into a million pieces, furthering the idiocy that is breed specific legislation.

They don't say anything about the breed other than to mention what it was. It's not like it says "surprisingly, the pit bull didn't kill anyone." They're just offering up detail. Whatever problems you may have with the issue of breed-specific legislation, doesn't automatically mean that everyone is out to paint pit bulls with a mean brush...and it doesn't mean that you need to project your issues onto every little mention of pit bulls. The fact is, news journalists like to include details with their articles to give depth and context and show that they did their homework. Sometimes the details are meaningful, sometimes they just show that the reporter asked questions.

And you really think they're gonna put "American Pit Bull Terrier" in the article? Do you think that anyone knows or cares about the difference other than pit bull owners?

Seriously, RDWHAHB. This isn't part of the conspiracy to malign pit bul...er, sorry, American Pit Bull Terriers. :p It's just some small-time reporter giving context/details for his small-town article.

It's stories like these that make me want to quit my job and join the MSPCA. Go bust some heads until stories like these are a thing of the past .....

I don't necessarily see the problem with referring to the breed of dog in the headline -- I think the writer was just being descriptive -- same as saying "Super-Sweet Golden Retriever ...." I can see as a PB owner you might be sensitive to stories about them in the news, though.

And our dog used to lie frog-legged like that when he was younger, but now he doesn't. He still has his "stud pose", though. Flat on his back, legs spread. Come and get it ladies .....

MikeFlynn74 said:
Then they need to call it by its full name- American Pitt Bull Terrier.

Usung the 'full name' in a positive spin article won't help offset the negative image. Using the common name but making it a more compassionate image is important to changing how people view pit bulls.

Usung the 'full name' in a positive spin article won't help offset the negative image. Using the common name but making it a more compassionate image is important to changing how people view pit bulls.

If only there was a way to keep *****ebags like this from getting pets. Then again we cant keep 12yrlds from getting heroin or guns either.

That was a very positive story. I defy you to explain to me how someone looks at this animal:

041608dog2.jpg

... and concludes that pit bulls need to be banned. If anything, it shows how often dogs are abused/neglected, which a reasonable person is then going to conclude might be the biggest problem. They even talk about the "Pitbull Ambassador Program," showing that the people here really do care about this breed's unfair reputation.

Very positive article, I know as well as anyone how bad the pit's reputation is... but I can't see how to view this story as negative at all.

Very positive article, I know as well as anyone how bad the pit's reputation is... but I can't see how to view this story as negative at all.

I guess your right- Just a little irritated at stories lately focusing on Pits. I guess I picked the wrong one.

I will bet you a million dollars once that dog gets fed and placed in a loving home he will be the best dog anyone has ever had.

I wouldn't bring him into my house just because you never know what other issue's he's dealt with, but if I didn't have a family I would.

You do have to be careful, irrespective of breed; my BIL adopted an animal who had been abused (coincidence or not, a pit), who is usually very sweet but who snapped at me and almost bit my face. BIL was sick, vomiting in the bathroom, and it was like his protective mode kicked in; pit's loyalty is fierce, which is why they tend to be favored by "unsavory" individuals. Doesn't mean the dogs are inherently bad, but once they've been trained to be that protective, it's tough to break that from them.

My dog is a pit/lab mix, a 100lb beast, who has some of that - I don't want to say defensive, but somewhat territorial aspect to him, which I like. He's a complete sweatheart, no issues whatsoever with Cassie. But, when someone comes too close to the house, he lets them know that there's a BIG DOG inside. If it's family or friends, he just gets a little excitable - but if it were someone who we didn't want in our house, well... I don't mind the intimidation factor.

You do have to be careful, irrespective of breed

This is true- However 99% of dogs with good homes/owners will be good.

Ive seen more viscious Rotties and Akidas than any other dog.

Pit bulls are maligned, not so much because they are vicious dogs, but because when they bite someone, like all breeds do occasionally, they can do a lot of damage with their muscular jaws. There are others breeds with strong jaws that can kill, but they aren't noted near as much, and there aren't nearly as many around. Pit Bulls are more comon because a) People like to own them cause they look tough, and b) people like to own them because they can be very sweet and smart dogs.

I would not own one because I just don't care for that breed. A friend of mine had one for many years until she simple passed away. Very loving dog and played hard but never bit while doing it. She was trained NOT to bite right from the start. If more people took the time to train their dogs, we'd have many more loving and obedient dogs around.

There are others breeds with strong jaws that can kill, but they aren't noted near as much,

Very common misconseption. Pits have roughly the 7th hardest bite of dogs.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articles/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm
This is a list of all the other dog bites you never hear about.

December 2007
OAK HILL -- Earnhardt, a 2-year-old black Labrador retriever, faces surgery to fix a shattered foreleg after finding itself on the wrong end of a police officer's pistol.
Officer Greg Gfell shot the dog after the two faced off Wednesday afternoon while he investigated a complaint that the dog scared a resident in his Oak Hill neighborhood.
Complainant Gary Anderson said Gfell had knocked on the door at 158 Gary Ave. unsuccessfully looking for Earnhardt's owner, Thomas Belmonte, a police report states. Gfell was leaving the property when the Labrador jumped the backyard fence and charged "with its teeth barred and snarling while foaming at the mouth." "Fearing for my safety, I drew my department-issued sidearm and fired three rounds, striking the dog twice," Gfell wrote. The second bullet grazed the back of its neck. Oak Hill Police Chief Guy Grasso said Gfell was not available for comment Thursday. However, a review showed the shooting
followed department policy. No charges are expected against Belmonte either, the chief said. elmonte disputes accusations his family pet, which he has had since a puppy, is dangerous."He has never bitten anyone and has never been aggressive toward anyone," he said.

Hehe I like how they put his address in :

Eight other dogs were on Ward's property when Animal Services arrived at Ward's home, 10702 Canoe Drive, after an anonymous phone call about mistreated animals.

I also don't think there was ANYTHING bad said or implied about pitbulls in that article. If anything it was a PRO pitbull article.

BTW, here's lilly :D

lill.jpg

And Charlie getting a good whiff:

mrporter1.jpg

Homercidal said:
Pit bulls are maligned, not so much because they are vicious dogs, but because when they bite someone, like all breeds do occasionally, they can do a lot of damage with their muscular jaws.
This is true of several breeds of dogs who have heavily developed jaw musculature: they are by design more dangerous than other dogs. When a mistake is made, by the dog or the owner, the consequences are much more likely to have serious repercusions because of their power.

That's not to say that I think the breed should be bred out of existance, not at all. However, I don't mind if owners are held to a different standard based on the damage potential. After all-- if an owner make a mistake and I am attacked by a jack russell, for example, I am at almost no risk of being killed and little risk of serious bodily injury. This is nto the case with some of the larger breeds: rotts, pinchers, pits, retrievers, huskies and the like.

Owners need to be aware of the risks associated with their pets and be held appropriately accoutable when bad things occur and I think it is reasonable to hold owners of larger animals that are capable of greater damage to higher standards than people with animals that are incapable, short of a freak accident, of killing anyone old enough to walk. And I believe that there is a reasonable scale of responsibility in between.

Pit Bulls get a bad name because there are way too many people who own them that should not own any dogs, least of all a large dog breed with strong tendencies to be protective and territorial. Therefore Pit Bulls are involved in more than their share of incidences. From the owners I have seen I would guess that there are more PB's in poor homes than in homes of people like those on these sites.
In the poor inner city neighborhoods I travel through on my commute this is about the only type of dog I see other than the few small strays. Most of the owners obviously own the dog to impress others.

As was stated owners of large dog breeds should be held to a higher standard about how their dogs are handled due to the potential in those dogs. Same as hand guns owners are held to higher standards than air rifles.

Craig

MikeFlynn74 said:
Very common misconseption. Pits have roughly the 7th hardest bite of dogs.
Interesting. Source?

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articles/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm
This is a list of all the other dog bites you never hear about.

December 2007

It's a collection of news articles. Not sure how that qualifies as "never hear about". Pretty easy to find a similar list that shows a pretty high percentage of "dog homicides" (people killed by dogs) are caused by "pit bulls". Like this.
Neither list really proves anything.

Any breed of dog can bite. I was once bitten by a dachshund, for example (and had the damn thing been capable of jumping more than an inch of the ground, I'd be missing some pretty important parts). "Pit bulls" are more capable of doing damage than most other breeds (whether their bite is 1st, or 7th, or whatever). They are more likely to bite because they're more likely to be owned by idiots who mistreat them.

This sucks for people like you who are responsible owners, but it (I would say rightfully) influences the public's perception. I am wary of any strange dog, but would be far more wary of a stray "pit bull" than of, say, a golden retriever. Why? Because (a) the pit has a much higher chance of having been turned loose by some 15-year-old gang tough who was too high on crack to feed it, and (b) if it comes down to a physical confrontation, I like my chances better against the golden.

Breed-specific laws suck. Go after the owners of bad dogs. If your dog mauls some 3-year-old, you should be treated as though you shot that kid.

Wow, a lot of dog threads today....

MikeFlynn74 said:
This is true- However 99% of dogs with good homes/owners will be good.

Right, just like 99% of kids in good homes turn out alright.... the problem lies in "Whats a good home?" A warm bed, food and water isn't always a good home. Dogs need discipline and training, without that there is no hope. grant there are those cases of neuro dogs that just don't get it, but we have people like that too.....

Ive seen more viscious Rotties and Akidas than any other dog.

Honestly, if I were to attribute aggressiveness to any breed, I would have to go with chihuahuas, yorkies, and poms... those babied "mommas little cutie" can be some of the NASTIEST dogs you ever have to handle...

the_bird said:
That was a very positive story. I defy you to explain to me how someone looks at this animal:

041608dog2.jpg

... and concludes that pit bulls need to be banned. QUOTE]

perhaps when they look at this child:

imgres

..... they then come up with the idea of banning them.

That's not to say that I think the breed should be bred out of existance, not at all. However, I don't mind if owners are held to a different standard based on the damage potential. After all-- if an owner make a mistake and I am attacked by a jack russell, for example, I am at almost no risk of being killed and little risk of serious bodily injury. This is nto the case with some of the larger breeds: rotts, pinchers, pits, retrievers, huskies and the like.

Police are investigating after a Lexington baby was killed by the family dog.
The attack happened at around 3:50, Friday afternoon, at a home on Seven Pines Drive. Police say the family's Jack Russell Terrier mauled seven-week-old Justin Mozer while his mother was in the bathroom, reportedly bathing another child. The coroner says the baby was found unresponsive at the home and later died at the hospital.

The fact is "Bite statistics are difficult to obtain accurately. Dogs that are referred to as “pit bulls” in statistical reports actually are a variety of breeds and mixes all lumped together under the “pit bull” heading.

Most legislation refers to pitbull type dog. WTF does that mean? Mastifs, Caine Corso, Boxers, bulldogs. Here try this http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_dog_has_the_most_powerful_bite
Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested.

Ive read that the dog with by far the strongest bite is the St.Bernard.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Police say the family's Jack Russell Terrier mauled seven-week-old Justin Mozer while his mother was in the bathroom, reportedly bathing another child.
The bit that's important about that sentance isn't that the Jack Russel did it-- it's that the kid was 7 weeks old. The dog probably outweighed the kid.

Yes--- there are rare instances of small dogs killing humans but that does not mean that small dogs are as dangerous as large dogs. I'd be surprised if there were more than a handful of instaces where a small dog killed an adult but we can damn sure find instances of adults being killed by large dogs.

The fact remains: large breeds are inheriently more dangerous because they can exert more force.

And when people are in charge of contolling things the punishments for not properly controling those things should be scaled according to the risks involved. So if you are walking your pomeranian and it bites and draws blood before you drag it off the victim the punishment for not keeping control of your animal should be far less than when your Newfoundland bites someone--- even if they require the same number of stitches to patch up. Because one victim was put at MUCH more risk than the other.

kornkob

My point is no one breed is inherently more dangerous than others. At one time Dobermans were the dog to ban because lots of *****ebags owned them. Then it was Rotties, Mastifs and now its Pits. Ot of those dogs pits are the easiest to raise and take care of IMO. 1/2 the size of most large breeds.

MikeFlynn74 said:
kornkob

My point is no one breed is inherently more dangerous than others. At one time Dobermans were the dog to ban because lots of *****ebags owned them. Then it was Rotties, Mastifs and now its Pits. Ot of those dogs pits are the easiest to raise and take care of IMO. 1/2 the size of most large breeds.
And that's my point.

A piece of gravel is less dangerous than a brick. It's inherient it it's mass and potential to cause harm. Larger breeds are INHERIENTLY more dangerous because they have more mass and have more potential to cause harm.

A semi tractor/trailer is inheriently more dangerous to other people on the road than a scooter. Both are motor vehicles but one is significantly larger and is far more dangerous as a result. A pedestrian who gets hit by a scooter has a much better chance of surviving than if they are hit by a semi.

And if I get attacked by my neighbor's 1.5 pound (soaking freaking wet) Pomerainian I've got a pretty good chance of surviving. In fact, I'd give a 'learned-to-walk-last month' toddler pretty even odds at taking the Pom out. However, I figure I've got about even odds on a good day of surviving an attack by a 120 pound wolf hound and that hypothetical toddler is pretty much ****ed.

It's inherient in the animal's size and power.

I know you want to hear me agree you that your sweet pit bull is no more potentially dangerous than my neighbor's sweet pomerainian but that is patent nonesense. I mean total, utter, complete foolishness.

And momma raised no fool. If I'm going to get in a fight with a dog and I have a choice, I'm gonna kick the crap out of that pom.

And yet I'm not talking about banning ANY dog. I'm talking about treating the guy who loses control of his Pom differently than the guy who loses control of his wolf hound because the Wolf Hound guy put someone at real risk of serious bodily harm and the Pom guy probably just scared someone. And the people who don't lose control of their dogs--- treat them the same.

There was a lot of discussion on a landlord forum about how a guy was threatened by a neighbor's pitbull and he was able to scare it away with a nearby rake. The forum then evolved (or devolved) into discussions about carrying a handgun for just such an instance. This set off of bunch of pitbull owners who defended that it wasn't the breeds fault, but rather bad owners and that handguns were in fact more dangerous. The handgun guys responded about how people with concealed weapons had to go through special permitting and classes to get their licence and statistically had an extremely low accident rate. After awhile someone finally suggested that owners of large, capably dangerous breeds should have to go through a similar licensing and training program in order to own said dogs. That made a lot of sense to me.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Why? Why is the type of dog mean anything in this article???

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr/16/pit-bull-owner-charged-animal-cruelty/?news-breaking

This guy needs to die a long slow painful death

Because it's a PitBull and unlike Golden Retrievers, they have a tendency to ruthlessly attack unless specifically trained not to.

You can't blame PitBulls for their aggressiveness. They've been bred that way; much the same way a German Shorthair has been bred for his nose.

And, yes, the owner needs major help.

kornkob said:
I figure I've got about even odds on a good day of surviving an attack by a 120 pound wolf hound

I'll take $20 of that action and spot you 30yrds head start....

Our citizens police academy covered K9's last night, and I got to see an 80# belgian malinois in action. He hit the target officer so hard that from where we stood (about 20 yds away) it sounded like you broke a broomstick over his back. Shortly after that, one of the detectives hand fought with him (muzzle, no padded suit) and was knocked to the ground in about 5 seconds.

Once you've seen dog vs. human up close and personal, your whole picture changes.

I don't have nor care to own a pit bull but I don't agree with them being inherently aggressive. They're part Terrier (Independent, high energy) and bull dog (powerful, stubborn and difficult to sway when focused on something). A breed only for a true dog expert who knows how to handle these traits. And since they're the bad a$$ dog of the decade mostly all the wrong people own these dogs. They're either bad people or clueless owners who want a guard dog. Reminds me of a friend of swmbo's who had an Akita and they had to tell me all the things I shouldn't do while in their house "in case". I was so pissed off they actually had this dog!

FYI - I had a Doberman about 20 years ago (grew up around them) and this was the bad breed back then as mentioned earlier. Not mine, he was a 120 lb baby that invited everyone into my house with a wagging stub if I let them in. He also knew his role though.

You can't blame PitBulls for their aggressiveness. They've been bred that way

Wrong-
The sport of dog fighting, which could be carried out under clandestine measures, blossomed. Since Bulldogs proved too ponderous and uninterested in dog fighting, the Bulldogs were crossed with English White and Black and Tan Terriers. They were also bred to be intelligent and level-headed during fights and remain non-aggressive toward their handlers. Part of the standard for organized dog-fighting required that the match referee who is unacquainted with the dog be able to enter the ring, pick up a dog while it was engaged in a fight, and get the respective owner to carry it out of the ring without being bitten. Dogs that bit the referee were culled.

So they have been specifically bread not to bite humans.
Golden retrievers and Labs are just as likely to bite. They dont make for a good story though as the evil Pit/Rottie/Doberman.

Most of the stories its not even a Pit- People have been trained to say pitbull even if its a Husky.

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

pldoolittle said:

Our citizens police academy covered K9's last night, and I got to see an 80# belgian malinois in action. He hit the target officer so hard that from where we stood (about 20 yds away) it sounded like you broke a broomstick over his back. Shortly after that, one of the detectives hand fought with him (muzzle, no padded suit) and was knocked to the ground in about 5 seconds.

Once you've seen dog vs. human up close and personal, your whole picture changes.

BULLSHlT!! I am not afraid of ANY dog. As long as i can keep him off my throat, he is going to LOSE. I would throw my entire body on top of him, in true Jerry Blackwell "Splash" form and let him gnaw on my arm all he likes, while I continue to get up and throw the entire weight of my body on his rib cage again and again unti he is MUSH. That is of course if I cannot get my pocket knife out and slit his throat while he gnaws on my arm. Or as a seconday, I am happy to grab his windpipe and choke him until he goes unconscious.

Only two ways to lose a fight with a dog:

Let him get your throat

Panic and run and scream like a sissy.

And yes I am speaking fron firsthand experience. I was attacked by a German Sheppard nearly 20 years ago. He was nearly 100 lbs and not a happy chappy. It was winter in Minnesota, and he attacked me from 1/2 a block away...running full speed and jumpng from about 8 feet away.

I don't know if he went for my throat or not, but he ended up with his jaws around my left arm, just below the wrist. He was moving so fast that when he grabbed my arm, he spun me to the left and I went down like a bag of rocks. If he had let go and tried again for my throat, I don't know what would have happned, but he kept a death grip on my left arm. I tried to get up, but he had all 4 paws on the ground and kept pulling, so I couldn't even get up on my knees without getting pulled back down in the snow.

Enter RAGE!!!!:mad:

I pulled him close to me, laid my left arm across his throat, put all of my weight on it and startedd to punch him in the head as hard as I could with my right hand. My dad came out of the house and started yelling, and I got even madder. The dog could not get up as he had 250lbs on his throat and he finally let go. I must have punched him 50 times in the head when he finally started choking and let go. As soon as he let go, he squirmed away and took off running.

If I had a chance to get my pocketknife out, or if I had been near any sort of blunt instrument or rock, he would have been a DEAD dog. I ended up with a very sore arm that was very bruised. If it had been summer, I am sure it would have been bloody and ripped up, but the result would have been the same.

Bring on your dog, Pit Bull or not, and let me near a hammer, pipe, knife or rock and I'll hand you back the corpse...then go to work on you ;) Unless of course he gets me by the throat, but that ain't gonna happen since before it gets near me, my left arm immediately goes in front of my throat.

pldoolittle said:

I have seen it.
Of course, in those demonstrations the handlers aren't willing to hurt the animal and have a vested interest in a preseting an image of absolute domination over a suspect.

My opinion stands.

PeteOz77 said:
BULLSHlT!! I am not afraid of ANY dog.

Sorry Pete, but anyone who boasts they are not afraid of something that poses a significant risk of causing serious injury (or death) is either a fool or a liar.

Now, let's talk about reality: Would I stand my ground and fight? Yes. Would I afraid? Yes. Could I win? Yes. Could I lose? Yes. What would be the determining factor(s)? A whole lot of what-ifs. (count the "ifs" in your post)

PeteOz77 said:
Bring on your dog, Pit Bull or not, and let me near a hammer, pipe, knife or rock and I'll hand you back the corpse...then go to work on you
You should print this off and keep a copy on hand. You could intimidate the crap out of the dog by letting him read it while you go find a rock, pipe, or hammer.

kornkob said:
In those demonstrations the handlers aren't willing to hurt the animal and have a vested interest in a preseting an image of absolute domination over a suspect.

That is definitely true. But you could also tell by watching the officers behavior (during and after) that they were not as in control of the situation as they wished to be and had taken some pretty good licks in the process. And that's with safety gear... I'm not going to say you would lose, but if you want even odds, I'm still good for $20 and a 30yrds head start...

blacklab said:
football lineman. 6'4, 300 lbs. {...} 5 seconds, he was on his back, and the dog had two paws on his chest

For a trained service dog, it's not just about the bite & hold. It's about the intensity of the hit and throwing your opponent off balance so you can get them to the ground. Watch how hard this dog hits his target:

[YOUTUBE]qikYIwjw9_0[/YOUTUBE]

When I was in college, I was wandering through the quad and saw a crowd so decided to check it out. Turned out it was a demo of a program that the Univ. was piloting. A 'safety dog' thing where girls walking around late at night could check out a trained protection dog from the safety dog office and return it later.

So, they had these demos with girls with the dogs being threatened, and the the dog growling, etc. Then they asked for a volunteer to try and actually grab the girl with the dog. So, this huge football player says, yeah, there's no way that dog is taking me out.

They actually put the big protective suit on this dude! And he was big. I'm a pretty solid guy, but this was a pac 10 football lineman. 6'4, 300 lbs. So he gets the suit on, they set up the situation, and he comes at the girl with the dog and tries to grab her.

Let's just say that it took about 5 seconds, he was on his back, and the dog had two paws on his chest and was growling in his(protected) face.

I'll never forget that. A trained dog will kick your ass if you don't have some sort of weapon.

Back