It happened AGAIN... *Graphic Content*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Yesterday a teenager and his two friends decided that they were on the wrong side of the tracks in the subway, and the easiest route would be to cross the tracks.

This is unbelievably stupid.

All three teens managed somehow to avoid the third rail on two sets of tracks but one of the three stepped on the express track at the wrong time and was hit by a Brooklyn bound 2 train. Several thousand pounds of train going faster than the legal speed limit for a car on a highway hit him broadside... and he exploded. The kid literally exploded.

18 years old, celebrating his birthday in the city, and because he couldnt be bothered to go upstairs and then down another set of stairs (takes roughly 5 minutes if you dont mind shoving a bit and walk with some hustle) he is no more. A train full of people and people on the platform all got to see an 18 year old literally explode. If that conductor is able to do his job from this point on he is a stronger man than I will ever be.

So yeah. STOP WALKING ACROSS THE TRACKS DILLHOLES!!!

I';m sorry to hear that. We have people get kicked in the head by horses all the time down here. I guess that's our equivalent?

I was 12 years old and a PTO shaft on a tractor caught my shirt. Dang thing very nearly took my arm off and beat me with it before dad got the tractor turned off.

I guess all I am saying is stupidity happens everywhere not just in the big cities

A guy I knew hit a lab at about 95 mph. He almost wanted to junk the car. Took him 2 days to get the gore out of the front end. That car smelled for a long time yuck!

I've seen deer hit by tractor trailers all but explode, would not want to see that at all...
Yeah... if you're following said tractor trailer, driving through the cloud of pink mist and fur really sucks.

And under no circumstances would I want to witness teenager vs. subway. Prayers go out to his family, and the conductor.

Yeah... if you're following said tractor trailer, driving through the cloud of pink mist and fur really sucks.

And under no circumstances would I want to witness teenager vs. subway. Prayers go out to his family, and the conductor.

Mine also go out to all the people on the train and on the platform who saw it. God, I never ever want to see that.

Just reading that makes me shudder and my stomach get queasy. It's tough to fathom how a person could think that crossing the tracks is an acceptable risk. That would be horrifying and I don't know how you could see that and not need some therapy.

People just seem to be incredibly stupid around trains.

This happened a couple weeks ago around here. It was a frigging express train! Those are easily going 70 mph and are past a crossing in what, 10 seconds? It's amazing that people are willing to risk their lives just to save a little time.

People just seem to be incredibly stupid PERIOD

This happened a couple weeks ago around here. It was a frigging express train! Those are easily going 70 mph and are past a crossing in what, 10 seconds? It's amazing that people are willing to risk their lives just to save a little time.

fixed that first part for you

the depth of peoples' stupidity doesn't amaze me one bit

Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.

I just dont understand. Unless a train somehow jumps the tracks (which happens very very rarely. I dont know if it has ever even happened once with a NY subway train) there is absolutely no way a train can hit you unless YOU go to IT. It is literally more likely for a chunk of frozen urine to fall from an airplane and hit you than it is for you to get hit by a train... and yet we have had 200 people hit by trains this year!! WTF!?

Couple times of year here in Denver someone gets hit by the light rail downtown. It's a freaking train, on tracks, how the hell do you manage that. Not like a car in a place you weren't expecting it, or a bus coming around a corner. They are on tracks, so you know where they are coming, and it takes 2 seconds to figure out if they are coming.

Just reading that makes me shudder and my stomach get queasy. It's tough to fathom how a person could think that crossing the tracks is an acceptable risk. That would be horrifying and I don't know how you could see that and not need some therapy.

They were teens. Just about everything is an acceptable risk. Hell, that kinda of stupidity stuck with me well past the teen years.

Do you think if we put cow catchers on our trains people will get the hint? At this point I resent that the train has to slow down. I hate to sound heartless, but this is unbelievable!

Do you think if we put cow catchers on our trains people will get the hint? At this point I resent that the train has to slow down. I hate to sound heartless, but this is unbelievable!

I'm pretty sure you could turn the front of the train into a gaping maw full of saws, crushing rollers, and flame throwers and people still wouldn't care. The simple fact is unless they're suicidal every one of these people thought they could beat the train.

There are many cases of people dying from stupidity and other related causes. Check out this gem from Wiki:

1960: In the Nedelin catastrophe, more than 100 Soviet rocket technicians and officials died when a switch was accidentally turned on, causing the second stage engines of a rocket to ignite, directly above the fully fueled first stage.

I bet that was an awesome sight.

Also, every year all over the world copper thieves roast themselves alive when trying to steal copper wire.

At pennies a pound, Im not interested in absorbing that much juice.

Teenagers have a brain defect or brain damage. They actually and truly believe they are invincible and that the rules and laws of physics do not apply to them just as the rules of parents and laws of society do not apply to them. It is amazing any of them live to their mid twenties without dying or being killed by parent!
Teenager=brain damage

I hate to quote Hank jr as he seems to be a moron and a bigot, but:

'Just send me to Hell or New York City, it would be about the same to me'

I've been the first responder on a few bad incidents and seen a few deaths, but I can't imagine what it would be like to witness that. Unfortunately that's not stopping my brain from trying to visualize it.

A young girl in our town run across the road to an oncoming bus and was hit and killed by a car. It's tragic, but like this train incident preventable.

Preventable, but this wasnt the fault of the child (assuming she had been waved across the street by the driver). Its the fault of the motorist who hit her, because gosh schoolbuses make her late (grr).

This gave me a flashback to 1970 & my youngest brother. Me & my big mouth. He wanted to do his 1st sleepover at a friends house that we knew was a bit wild & irresponsible. Everyone chimmed in no with mom & dad. But I insisted he should be able too,as the boy only lived a short ways up on the corner. My sis & I were picking wild strawberries about a mile away on the undeveloped center of Hamilton Circle Dr. I heard a loud skid & a sickening thump. I figured somebody bought it,& finished picking.
We got home to find that little Michael (just shy of 10) had been hit so hard by a Lakewood plumbing & heating truck,that his shoes were knocked some distance over his head. Brain damage,etc with swelling took him some 5 days later. I still just can't forgive myself for changing their minds. So be sure brain is engaged before puting mouth in gear. I wouldn't want any of you to be forced to live with something like this. He was a good kid that wore his heart on his sleeve.

Preventable, but this wasnt the fault of the child (assuming she had been waved across the street by the driver). Its the fault of the motorist who hit her, because gosh schoolbuses make her late (grr).

Nope, apparently the school bus was still coming down the street when she ran out across the road. It was pre-dawn and visibility was poor. The driver who hit her was not charged. It could have been prevented if she had looked both ways before crossing the road....

This gave me a flashback to 1970 & my youngest brother. Me & my big mouth. He wanted to do his 1st sleepover at a friends house that we knew was a bit wild & irresponsible. Everyone chimmed in no with mom & dad. But I insisted he should be able too,as the boy only lived a short ways up on the corner. My sis & I were picking wild strawberries about a mile away on the undeveloped center of Hamilton Circle Dr. I heard a loud skid & a sickening thump. I figured somebody bought it,& finished picking.
We got home to find that little Michael (just shy of 10) had been hit so hard by a Lakewood plumbing & heating truck,that his shoes were knocked some distance over his head. Brain damage,etc with swelling took him some 5 days later. I still just can't forgive myself for changing their minds. So be sure brain is engaged before puting mouth in gear. I wouldn't want any of you to be forced to live with something like this. He was a good kid that wore his heart on his sleeve.

Sorry to hear that Unionrdr.

Nope, apparently the school bus was still coming down the street when she ran out across the road. It was pre-dawn and visibility was poor. The driver who hit her was not charged. It could have been prevented if she had looked both ways before crossing the road....

Ok, yeah. Still a horrible accident. The big difference is that there are safe and reasonable times to cross a street. It is NEVER EVER wise to cross the tracks in the NYC subway system. Unless you are a transit worker working on the tracks, the only living thing to touch them that is not IN the train should be the rats and roaches.

I do hope you know that that is in no way your fault. What a tragedy, I'm really very sorry to hear.

Well,it wouldn't bug me so much if I wouldn't have spoken up & had them all change their minds. Not to mention,instead of coming home the next morning,they went galavantin around & we heard the crash. I guess he was easily talked into runnin around with that kid.

unionrdr said:
Well,it wouldn't bug me so much if I wouldn't have spoken up & had them all change their minds. Not to mention,instead of coming home the next morning,they went galavantin around & we heard the crash. I guess he was easily talked into runnin around with that kid.

Don't question what you did Doc. Life is unpredictable if nothing else. I've made decisions that contributed to the loss of a life, not of a relative, but it was hard to deal with even though it wasn't my fault. You're brother could still be alive today or could have suffered a greater tragedy, there is no way for you to know.

I can't say that I have ever been witness to such a tragedy. But I work with a guy who was a volunteer firefighter in his town. He told us about a story where some kids were drunk and screwing around on some local RR tracks. You can guess where this was going.

I had a hard time listening when he told me that he was one of the people who helped clean up the mess. Walking around in the dark with flashlights and buckets to pick up parts and pieces. I don't think I could have the fortitude to keep doing that job after that.

I used to work in a rock quarry and it was pretty common to have line-men get caught and jerked or pulled into the tail and head pulleys of the conveyor belts. It basically rips off anything they grab or pull your entire body in. Self-cleaning tail pulleys are the worst. They're basically a wheel of blades.

And then there's all the rock crushers and people that don't lock/tag out when entering a piece of equipment and the others that remove guards. Asking for trouble.

Back