Currently brewing a imperial stout and the fermenter is going crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk1609

Reaction score
Currently brewing a imperial stout and the fermenter is going crazy. I have a blow off set up running now however it also bubbling out the sides of the lid. Why isn't someone making bucket clips? Also is this going to be a issue?

You'll be fine. Just keep a close eye on it and make sure that lid is on TIGHT! The positive pressure from the CO2 will keep all oxygen out when its fermenting, but better safe than sorry right? I blew the lid off my imperial stout that I brewed on July 4th two days after fermentation started. I just cleaned it up, rinsed the lid and airlock, re sanitized and everything was a.o.k.

thank you. I will be CAREFULLY moving it in just a few minutes to a more open area. If I have to clean up I don't want to be cleaning every can and box in the pantry. I am a bit concerned about the amount of liquid lost. A good 1/3 to half gallon of liquid in the blow off container and what has bubbled out the sides. Its still going strong as well so i assume 1/2 to 3/4 gallon will be lost by the time it is done.

That will happen unfortunately, but its a good sign, it means your yeast is doing well! I had mine in the middle of a pantry with about 3 feet of space on all sides, Im still cleaning beer off my gun safe and some of my backpacking equipment haha.

What temp are you at? A little lost beer is sad. An out of control temp in a high gravity beer is tragic.

Thank you guys. Gun safe in in the garage and climbing stuff is in the extra bedroom so I am safe on that one. Current temp is 72 so I have turned on the air con to get it down a few

72 is a little on the high side but not too bad. You shouldn't see too many off flavors, if any. Im trying to keep mine right around 68.

Cheers!

I set my freshly brewed imperial stout in a 6 gallon better bottle on Sunday afternoon. This morning I was cleaning krausen off of every wall and the ceilin of my guest bathroom. Lol. SWMBO didn't find it nearly as funny as I did. All is good now, though. #BlowoffTubeActivated!

I have an IPA fermenting in my dark basement and it's going nuts! I have never seen fermentation activity like this one but I like it! :ban:

I feel like I am the only one that doesn't get blow offs. I made a RIS (and a hefe) and I got no action. Only the pressure was lifting the center of the lid up. I guess a good thing because I didn't have to clean anything!
Good luck on the RIS!

Back