Suffolk County, UK Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbury419

Reaction score
Who loves English beers? I know I don't...lol, jk jk. No but really one of the biggest challenges for me coming from Delaware to Mildenhall, England was the water chemistry. It's very difficult to brew light beers out here with this water ( <10 SRM) without looking hazy or taste odd. I've resorted to using RO water and blending as necessary for certain beer styles. So anyways, on with the show!

pH 7.7
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) 5
Conductivity, 492 uS/cm

ppm
Sodium, Na 12
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 170
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO3 721
Nitrate, NO3-N 94
Sulfate, SO4-S 68
Chloride, Cl 45
Carbonate, CO3 (unknown)
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 1060

These numbers don't compute. A TDS of 5 isn't consistent with alkalinity of 1060 so you'll need to specify the units. I suspect that some things are in micrograms per liter rather than milligrams per liter.

ermm...my apologies, my units are correct. i just made a mistake on the TDS i just took a measurement on my multi-pen the TDS is 364 ppm...lol

There all sorts of problems with that water if those concentrations are all reported in mg/L or ppm. The nitrate concentrations are dangerous to yeast health and possibly human health. The alkalinity does not come close to coordinating with the other concentrations and the TDS calculated from the reported concentrations are far above 364 ppm. You'll have to revisit what you posted.

Things still don't compute. Calcium at 170 mg/L implies 170/20 = 8.5 mEq/L which is a hardness of 8.5*50 = 425 ppm as CaCO3. Mg at 2 mg/L adds an additional 2*50/12.15 = 8 ppm for a total of 433 but you are listing 721.

Alkalinity of 1060 implies bicarbonate of 1294 mg/L at pH 7.7. This by itself exceeds the listed TDS by a factor of more than three.

You guys are absolutely right, I was converting mg/m3 to ppm instead of mg/l to ppm initially. That already threw my calculations off, the original constituents are from the 2010 report. I have the current 2011 report below for you to look at if you wish. Thanks for the constructive criticism! I now have to go to my water excel sheet and fix my calculations! lol

Correct Water Report

http://waterquality.anglianwater.com/report.aspx

Back