Never Ending Fermentation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale King

Reaction score
I brewed a beer recently using Safale S-04, but now 12 days later it seems to still be fermenting. I read up on it and saw that it could be a result of wold yeast infection. Or that I might have racked to secondary too soon. The book I read that in the case that I did rack too soon, add more yeast. So I added a vial of WLP001 California Ale.

My question is, how can I expect that too affect the result of my beer, pitching a different yeast. I was going to a malty English bitter, but now that I have added the California Ale, I'm afraid I will lose that English flavor.

Have you taken consecutive SG readings? Airlock activity doesn't necessarily means it's still fermenting. It could be just degassing.

The fermentation was mostly over, so adding the second yeast probably won't change the results much. Do you check the gravity before racking or re-pitching?

david_42 said:
The fermentation was mostly over, so adding the second yeast probably won't change the results much. Do you check the gravity before racking or re-pitching?

I checked the gravity before racking, it was 1.020, which leads me to believe it still had a little ways to go. I know the S-04 doesn't have as high of attenuation as other yeasts, but 1.020 is still pretty high. It does appear to still be fermenting.

Ale King said:
I checked the gravity before racking, it was 1.020, which leads me to believe it still had a little ways to go. I know the S-04 doesn't have as high of attenuation as other yeasts, but 1.020 is still pretty high. It does appear to still be fermenting.
What was your OG?

Ol' Grog said:
Temperature? That's an ale yeast and if it was kind of cold, it's just taking longer to ferment out.

The first 24 hours was at 70, I had a nice strong fermentation, with only about 3 hours lag time. After the first day I dropped the temp slowly to 62 and kept it there for about 6 days. Then I added more yeast and slowly raised the temp back up to around 68. I added more yeast because I suspected I had contaminated beer and was told that adding more yeast might help. But the fermentation has still continued.

Brewing is a slow process. Sounds like you were in a hurry to fix things. There are many possible causes for your brews' symptoms. If you're not sure what is going on, get a consensus before you start medling with your brew.

If you lose the flavor you were going for, call it something else and brew another batch. Can you brew too much?:confused:

RDWHAHB

One thing that can cause an extended fermentation is the use of amylase enzyme or beano to break down starches. I don't mean that as an accusation, just an observation.

The chances are that it will be just as you wanted it. Your preferred yeast was already well-established and the fermentation waning when you repitched. I don't think the other yeast will make much difference.

As to some kind of activity other than the desirable fermentation, give it a smell. If it smells like beer its OK. If you gag, well . . . .do you know anyone who raises hogs?

Hamish

Back