Beer Leaking from Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtomd

Reaction score
I am less than 6 months into homebrewing, but started out kegging (had a kegerator already so why wash bottles). I have purchased "recondioned" kegs and have run into a problem with one of them.

Typically, I hook up the CO2 and not the liquid out line while I am force carbinating. One of my kegs holds pressure okay, but during forced carbination it leaks been. I suspect it is coming out of beer out line, but I am having trouble observing the leak (only the puddles afterwards). It does not seem to leak once the liquid out line is hooked up.

My question is .... is there a problem with the keg or my method (should I hook up the liquid out line while force carbinating?) And if there is a problem with the keg, how do I fix it (does the liquid out pole - not sure of the technical name - need to be replaced?

Any help would be appreciated!

Sounds like either a poppet valve or an 0-ring. Both of them are very cheap and replaceable. Another tip is to get a small container of keg lube as it helps seals work better.

Since you already have beer in the keg, take the lines off and turn it upside down for a few seconds. The weight of the beer should seat the valves. If it's the seals, well, you may have to replace them. Once you kick the keg, I'd suggest getting new o-rings and valves, plus the lube.

I have a keg that likes to leak and I just press in the little poppet valve and let it snap into place. I usually get sprayed with beer, but it works. Once it's empty I'll fix or replace the valve.

I've got a corny that's full of a recent pumpkin ale, its carbonated.. line in is fine. When I attach the line out it leaks out of the (i'm guessing) the poppet valve - the little circle you can depress with your finger. It's a pretty fresh fill/carb, so the beer will be there for a while. Any advice on how I can fix my problem rather than connect/disconnect my line out everytime I need to pour?

I have a keg that likes to leak and I just press in the little poppet valve and let it snap into place. I usually get sprayed with beer, but it works. Once it's empty I'll fix or replace the valve.

Done this as well, works well.

Props to you. I have an older keg and the poppet valve was slowly leaking my beer all over the floor. I followed your advice and I am now wearing my beer, but the keg is no longer leaking. :D

Props to you. I have an older keg and the poppet valve was slowly leaking my beer all over the floor. I followed your advice and I am now wearing my beer, but the keg is no longer leaking. :D

Glad it worked for you too! I hope you're not sitting on your couch sucking the beer out of your shirt now =) My cat would like to do that for you:tank:

What is it with animals and beer??? Both my parrots are absolutely amped to try and drink my beer.

I should post some pictures of them. They like helping me brew. One is a Blue Fronted Amazon and the other is a Congo African Grey.

Back