Non-food-grade bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nman13

Reaction score
I am going to be doing a primary fermentation on my fresh picked grapes that should last around 7-14 days. I'm going to do an open bucket one and was wondering if i could use a standard bucket that isn't listed as food grade (such as the one below) for this process. Anyone with experience please let me know thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038Q6LB0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

Food grade means just what it says, the plastic won't affect anything food related. Who knows what toxins, off-flavors, odd-ball chemicals etc you would get by using that bucket.

I will probably get scolded for this, but, I have made several batches of wine in whatever plastic bucket I had on hand with no ill effect. However if you are going to buy a bucket make it a food grade one. I have made my last batch in a non food bucket, all future batches will be all food grade.

I do understand the temptation. Easy to obtain and FAR cheaper. However Doctorcad is right. Wine is an acidic substance that can leech toxins from non food grade plastic. Please don't take a chance of possibly poisoning yourself. :)

Back