Crafting a Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
Ladies & Gents,
I am trying to craft a Black IPA, which I will brew in a month or so.
I used Stone 11th Anniversary Black IPA (now called something else, which I can't recall at this very moment) for the basis of the grains - save for Cara Fa III, which I can't get over here - so I subbed in Cara FA II and I have some C20 on hand, in place of the 60. If there are suggestions to either up the quantity of CarafaII, or use 60 in place of the 20, please speak up!

The hop schedule is also up for grabs at this point. I've been using a lot of FWHing lately, and I like the bitterness profile that it imparts.

Cheers for the help!

Style: American IPA
Type: All Grain
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.42 %
IBU's: 74.22
Efficiency: 79 %
Boil Size: 11.04 Gal
Color: 22.4 SRM
Batch Size: 10.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.062
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps

Primary 21 days @ 18.0°C (65f)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name
10.00 kg 90.91 % Pale Malt (2 Row)
0.50 kg 4.55 % Carafa II
0.50 kg 4.55 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L

Hops (28g = 1oz)
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
50.00 g 39.09 Chinook First Wort 13.00
58.00 g 19.21 Centennial 20 mins 10.00
28.00 g 3.05 Cascade 10 mins 5.50
28.00 g 7.22 Chinook 10 mins 13.00
28.00 g 1.68 Cascade 5 mins 5.50
28.00 g 3.97 Chinook 5 mins 13.00
84.00 g Centennial 7 days 10.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.00 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 Wyeast Labs 1450

Additions
Amount Name
10.00 g Gypsum 15 mins Boil
1.00 each Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 67.8°C A
Mashout 10 min @ 76.7°C

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
25.1 psi Force Carbonation 22.2°C 2.20

So...should I up the amount of Carafa 2 (EBC1100) to compensate for not using Carafa 3?
And I might try to use San Diego Super yeast on this batch, if I can successfully harvest some from the 22oz bottle of homebrew that I brought back from the States.

most people use dehusked carafa to add color without much flavor or astringency associated with dark malts

i used a little chocolate malt in my imperial india black ale to add some flavor and a little more color

you can try adding some chocolate and add both the choc and carafa malts when you either mashout/sparge to minimize the flavor impact

most people use dehusked carafa to add color without much flavor or astringency associated with dark malts

i used a little chocolate malt in my imperial india black ale to add some flavor and a little more color

you can try adding some chocolate and add both the choc and carafa malts when you either mashout/sparge to minimize the flavor impact

Thanks - If I could get my hands on Carafa 3 I would, but that is not an option.
I have never added grains to a mashout (we fly sparge) - how exactly would I go about doing that?
How much chocolate malt would you add?

Ddicker - I used that recipe as the basis of my malt bill. Thanks!

4oz of chocolate malt should be plenty

as soon as your mash is done, add the dark grains, stir and then begin your sparge as you would normally

as soon as your mash is done, add the dark grains, stir and then begin your sparge as you would normally

Right on! We'll give that a shot.
Thanks for teaching us a new technique as well!

Did this technique on the black ipa I just brewed. There is still some roast character but it is very very smooth like really good coffee. I might start doing it with all my dark beers.

Gordon Strong uses the technique for all of his dark beers, I believe it's discussed in his book Brewing Better Beer

there are a few threads on the subject as well for anyone that wants to do further reading

Just to clarify, are "we" suggesting that I only use the chocolate malt at the mash out and not use the Carafa 2?
Thanks!

4oz of choc malt doesn't sound like much but it's actually quite a bit. I'd go with 2oz if you absolutely have to use it. Maybe try 4oz of black patent for a subtle roasty flavor minus the chocolate or a 50/50 split.

Back