St Louis Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headbanger

Reaction score
You can use any smoker of course but I'm using a pellet grill for these so just sub your method or follow temps on your smoker, these always turn out great regardless.

The Rub:

1/4c paprika (sweet or smoked)
1/4c chili powder of your choice
1/4c ground black pepper
1/4c granulated sugar
1/4c brown sugar, packed
2TS salt (I use kosher)
1TS garlic powder
1TS onion powder
1TS ground white pepper
1TS cayenne pepper (reduce for less heat)

Prepare your slabs as St Louis cuts and rub the generously with white vinegar, this will help kick the rub in. Alternatively you can use squeeze butter instead of vinegar if you don't like the "whang". Apply rub generously, cover and refrigerate overnight.

The Cook:

Fire up your smoker with hickory or fruit wood on the lowest smoke setting, mine's 180, and cook for 1 hour. Increase heat to 225 and cook for another 2 hours then pull the ribs off.

Lay out some HD foil and spritz with apple juice, then lay down a couple of lines of squeeze butter and a couple lines of honey. Lay on a handful of brown sugar and sprinkle on some rub. Lay the ribs face down on the foil, wrap tightly and return to smoker, face down, for two more hours at 225.

Pull the ribs back off and remove from foil saving some of the juice. Take some of your bbq sauce of choice and mix with some of the juice you saved from the foil and up to 1/4c honey or agave. Brush the ribs with the sauce and put them back in the smoker, face up, for another hour or so until their done.

Pull and allow to rest, serve while still warm (140 or so) and prepare for idolization from your family and friends for making the best ribs they've ever tasted.

I'll be making a few slabs this weekend so if time permits and anyone's interested I'll take some pics and post them up here.

Happy smoking! :mug:

After 3 hours of smoke, ready for the foil...

rcA_zps11962956.jpg

rcB_zpsc38f386d.jpg

The finished product...

rcD_zps023a848d.jpg

rcC_zpsd36328e0.jpg

Back