unboiled wort , contamination problem ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcusKillion

Reaction score
So I made this beer last night . Sort of a blackened voodoo clone but with some belgian abbey ale yeast . ( Wyeast , another problem ) . Any way after I added in the Wyeast crap that obviously was no good I was getting ready to clean out my mash tun and I drained off about a quart of wort . Well I decided to add it in my primary . So I pulled out the air lock and poured it in . Woops ! forgot to boil it first .
So now only do I not have fermentation because I use Wycrap yeast I also have warm aerated wort with unboiled wort in it . This may be okay if I had good fast fermentation from some good dry yeast but since it will be 3 more days before I can get yeast ???

Should I Hari Kari now to save my family from disgrace or just drown myself in a bucket of expensive infection ?

It is going to go sour for sure

If you are going to repitch anyway why don't you just give it a quick 15 minute boil (sooner the better)

YUP, having a vigorous boil is paramount to having a good batch of beer

its not 1000 percent certain, but id bet on that beer going real bad real fast

Newb here, it might be OK... 155 for 60 minutes might be enough to have pasteurized the wort. Leave a while, see what happens. I think the ship has sailed on getting your intended beer... But on getting something you still have a shot I think. I don't think infection is a given yet.

You could also boil it now.

I thought about reboiling just for a minute or two as any longer I think would take away the late hop additions aromas making the 15 and 5 minute more like 30 minutes . How ever maybe the 155 degree mash did kill off anything in the grains. Although actually I am not sure what would be in the grains after they had been roasted . Wouldn't the roasting process kill off any germs ?

If I did not use that Wyeast ( that will never happen again ) the alcohol would take care of any problem I would think . But so far no action from the yeast .

one more problem maybe . What about the air in the bucket . Will this not start growing nasties if I have to let this 72 degree wort sit around not fermenting for 4 more days till I can get some yeast ?
tried to buy some from a brew pub but they would not give it up.
Maybe I could just toss in some bread yeast and let it go to making alcohol . wonder if that would still make a good beer.

well I did it . I have just made the worlds best ale version of a blackened voodoo clone with extra customizing . . . . Hey it mine I will call it what ever I want to call it .
I just went ahead and did all them people out there a favor that keep posting questions about " can I use bread yeast to make a beer " . I shall give a review after the required time and I suspect it going to be just fine .

a boiled wort will be devoid of bugs. no worries. if you can make a decent brew from duck POND water, a bit of unfermented time won't be a problem. it'll add character.

You won't reboil for fear of spoiling the effects of the late hop additions but take a chance on bread yeast?

Wyeast makes pretty damn good yeast and it will begin fermenting faster than dry yeast if you actually make a starter. ln my experience, liquid yeasts, in general, are better than dried yeast.

You can brew with bread yeast. Given a choice I wouldn't.

Your going to end up with a lot more fusel alcohols then you would with an actual brewers yeast. IMO, you should leave it on the yeast for about a week after you hit fg. Then be prepared to let it age for several months at least.

In any event, happy brewing.:mug:

IDK, US-05 is wicked awesome. I loves it with some of my heart.

I do admit, I love me some S-05. I actually bought some today. But besides that, liquid all the way. If I'm making a competition pale ale, I'm more likely to go with Rogue Pacman yeast from Wyeast.

I do admit, I love me some S-05. I actually bought some today. But besides that, liquid all the way. If I'm making a competition pale ale, I'm more likely to go with Rogue Pacman yeast from Wyeast.

I would rather drop on US-05. personal taste is about a Beestach, innit? hahhahaa!

Why the wyeast hate?

3 times one not so good one bad . I think it is just too complicated to use . Smack the pack and wait up to 3 hours or in some cases days ? then make a starter , not the recommended way according to Wyeast but seems to be the way on this forum, then wait up to 72 hours for fermentation to start ? Why so long on fermentation ?
Dry yeast is much faster and just as good and never had a problem with it .

you get a ton more variety with liquid strains. but if you want to go exclusively dry, it's your beer. you probably won't make any friends bashing a well trusted company because you find it too difficult. (I would call it bashing myself, but many others will)

you get a ton more variety with liquid strains. but if you want to go exclusively dry, it's your beer. you probably won't make any friends bashing a well trusted company because you find it too difficult. (I would call it bashing myself, but many others will)

+1

Dry yeast is easier, for sure. It's also cheaper. But unless you're doing mostly wine/mead/cider, you're stuck with the few strains offered by Fermentis/Safale or Danstar/Lallemand, and a few other miscellaneous brands (many of which, like Muntons, are terrible). Maybe a dozen strains to chose from, versus I'd say at least 100 strains between Wyeast/White Labs alone (and not including ECY or any other smaller labs I might not be aware of)

Bashing it cause it's more time consuming and you're lazy doesn't make the yeast bad.

+1

Dry yeast is easier, for sure. It's also cheaper. But unless you're doing mostly wine/mead/cider, you're stuck with the few strains offered by Fermentis/Safale or Danstar/Lallemand, and a few other miscellaneous brands (many of which, like Muntons, are terrible). Maybe a dozen strains to chose from, versus I'd say at least 100 strains between Wyeast/White Labs alone (and not including ECY or any other smaller labs I might not be aware of)

Bashing it cause it's more time consuming and you're lazy doesn't make the yeast bad.

bad yeast does how ever make it bad . How ever perhaps I just had a run of bad luck as sometimes happens . So that being said how do you schedule your brew day if you must smack the pack and then wait a unspecified amount of time maybe a day or more to find out if the yeast is good ? this to me is a problem since I want to brew on Sat I would have to smack the pack on Fri and if it is no good then what ? No brewing for another week .

I always make starters. And Wyeast is pretty clear that you don't have to wait for the pack to swell. I usually smack shortly before I start making a starter. Sometimes it swells a little over 2 hours or so, sometimes it doesn't, and either way I don't worry about it. I usually make a starter 5 days to a week ahead of time, allowing 2-3 days for the starter to do its cell growth magic, and once that cycle is done it goes in the fridge to cold crash (so I can decant off spent starter wort and just pitch yeast slurry). If I have a bad pack (which has only happened to me once, and that was more my fault- yeast mail ordered and shipped through 100F+ temperatures), I know it's bad within the first couple days, and then have time before brewday to go to the LHBS and get a replacement. Which I can then make another starter, but instead of days ahead, make it the day before, and then pitch the whole starter volume when it's at high krausen.

Last edited by a moderator:

When he said that he was using a kit that was 15 years old......I started cracking up like crazy!

Now Im not sure if he meant that his mr beer equipment was 15 years old or that the beer materials kit was 15 years old, but boy, I didn't care

Side note: Wonder if he went with regular shreaded coconuts, which have preservatives in them ,or nature market shreaded coconuts which don't. I had difficulty finding the later for my last project

Ohh lord...this is why you never use bakers yeast :D
anyho nice video. Defiantly shows how wrong it can go :p

yes he said the extract had a use by date of 1996. Do not blame it on the bakers yeast .
By the way my bakers yeast beer is at 1.013 right now and it tastes strong of alcohol is about all I can say so far . I was going for something like blackened voodoo only with ale yeast and extra bitter and hop aroma . I subbed some hersbrucker 1/2 oz at 60 min for 1/2 oz of the Mt hood and added in a 1/4 oz of N brewer 60 min .
has a bit of bitter flavor and definitely lost that real sweet taste BV has . I am going to let it sit another 2 weeks in primary and then bottle it or maybe one more week and 2 in secondary .
By the way . No bad bread flavor . What I tasted was in a bottle covered with a nitrile glove and sealed ( for FG testing ) and this sat with the heater blowing on it and was routinely hit with 80 degrees and most of the time 74 - 78 along with the primary bucket . Figured bakers yeast might need a bit more heat .

You won't reboil for fear of spoiling the effects of the late hop additions but take a chance on bread yeast?

so far so good . after about 4 days I tasted the beer . Nothing like I thought it would be but then I did not use the brit lager 2 row . It tasted like new castle brown maybe but with less flavor and a lot more bitter from the hersbrucker . Way too much bitter , I over did that one . The yeast did not leave any bad flavor . I moved it and shook it a bit and it is fermenting again so i will lewt it sit for one more week and taste . I am planning on adding in 5 gallons of my special Muntons nut brown to take away some of that bitter if it does not mellow which it may do .

Back