Local Chinese Malter - Available Grains = Need Help Translating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
Folks,
We have found a local Chinese malter and we are keen to purchase some grain in bulk from him.
He has the following malt as described by him and in EBC

Barley malt: 4EBC
Light-colored burnt malt: 50EBC
Dark burnt malt: 150EBC
Black malt: 600EBC

I am trying to "translate" these translated Chinese descriptions so I can understand them better. The "barley malt", with an EBC of 4 is the pale malt - 2 row.
Light-colored bunt malt with an EBC of 50 seems to be a crystal 25. Thoughts?
The Dark burnt malt with an EBC of 150 seems to be a crystal 76. Thoughts?
Black Malt with a EBC of 600 = black patent varient?

What are your thoughts?

We need to purchase 50kg bags and we are looking to purchase 3 bags - 1 of pale malt and then two others. If you were me, which grain types would you purchase in bulk? 2 of the pale and 1 of the C25? 1 pale, 1 c25, and 1 c75?
Hmmmm.....:confused:

The burnt malt must be varying degrees of crystals.. as it is the only malt I know of that would be available both at 50 and 150 EBC with the same trade name, only the color changing..

I'd guess to say the Black malt is just that: Black malt (aka, Black patent malt).

If you buy 1 sack of base malt, and 2 specialties, you will run out of base malt way too quick and have a ton of leftover specialty malts. Base malt accounts for the vast majority of your grain bill...

I would probably get only the base malt and try to find another supplier for smaller qties of specialty malts, or attempt to make my own specialty malt from the base malt.. 100 Kilos of crystal is an incredibly large amount, I haven't use nearly as much in 7 years of brewing, and I brew quite often..

And you can make all kind of beers without specialty malts anyway..

Smashed4 -
Thanks for the feedback - I was leaning in the direction of getting 2 sacks of PM and 1 of crystal as we might be able to "sell off" some of the crystal to other local homebrewers.

what about the price? i guess is cheaper than in US. If you want to share the supplier's name or a contact email or phone to import that malt it doesnt hurt :))

Back