Popping my airlock; I just racked my very first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yeasties looked just about done, but still had some floating on top which is perfectly normal. Overall looks pretty good. How long was it in the primary? Did you take a hydrometer reading before racking?

It was in the primary for 8 days. My instructions said 4-6, but I'm thinking next time even longer? I didn't manage to get a reading on it as I only figured out what the clamp on the syphon hose was for afterwards when I was cleaning up. :p I put what was left in the syphon into my hydrometer's test tube, but it wasn't enough for it to float. It was enough to be tasty, though.

I always leave in primary for a minimum of 3 weeks (usually closer to 4), then bottle or send to secondary depending on the style.

I'm thinking for my second batch I'll do the same recipe, but longer in the primary so I can see the difference in taste.

Back