Pumpkin ale suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Its that time of year, when brewers hearts wander to laying in those obligatory pumpkin ales for the fall season. Last year I did 2 batches and was not pleased with either of them. Since then I have switched to AG so I am looking for a new recipie. Here's my process and the question is at the end:

1. I do not use roasted pumpkin or pumpkin puree. I use pumpkin pie spice, McCormick's.

2. First recipie used spice in the boil in a muslin bag. Result was beer but no discernable pumpkin(spice) notes.

3. For the second batch I omitted the bag and put the spice directly into the kettle at flame out. No discernable difference.

4. For each batch, i followed my usual procedure of dropping the cooled wort into the fermenter from the brew kettle through a sanitized SS strainer to remove the tub and hops sludge.

5. What is my best next step to pump up the spice flavor? I was thinking the spices are being strained out with the trub and I should instead add them when I pitch yeast, or after initial fermentation is complete (10-12 days)

Maybe try adding the pumpkin pie spice with some granulated sugar and water and make a simple syrup (not unlike one you would make with sugar and lemon peel for lemonade). Then add that.

Question though... why no pumpkin in your pumpkin ale? I would consider your take on it more of a "spiced ale." This definitely is a great style, and fits the season, but I wouldn't consider it a pumpkin ale. My 2 cents, I suppose!

How much spice are you using? If that's not the problem, maybe you should look into using pumpkin! I'm making a spice tea for my upcoming pumpkin ale... see recent comments here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/pumpkin-ales-346012/index4.html

I started with a recipie from my LHBW which called for 2 tbsp in 5 gallons. How much do you use, and when do you add the tea, at pitch, or after initial fermentation has subsided? I was trying to make only one change at a time to be sure i could identify which gave me the biggest result. I have no problem scrapping the present recipie, since I switched to AG anyway and I have not been happy with the taste profile.

How long did you have the spice in the boil? I know with Coriander there is a sweet spot at around 10-15 minutes where you need to add coarsely ground spice directly to the boil.

My first batch did the spices 60 minutes in a muslin bag. The second batch did 15 minutes, no bag.; Both batches the wort was then dropped through a SS strainer to remove trub and hops sludge.

My first batch did the spices 60 minutes in a muslin bag. The second batch did 15 minutes, no bag.; Both batches the wort was then dropped through a SS strainer to remove trub and hops sludge.

Without research, my next suggestion would be spicing the secondary in a bag or making a spice tea and adding to secondary. Either way, if the spices drop out I guess they won't be retained.

I was going to flavor the wort after the boil with homemade liquid spice tea solution.

The problem with a generic 2 tbsp. recommendation is that the individual spices have different potencies. Nutmeg and clove will be stronger than cinnamon or orange zest. The spice tea allows me to balance all of those flavors as I'm steeping it, and then pitch what's necessary to season my wort.

Has anyone used the canned pumpkin you buy for pies with success? I've always wondered if that's something usable in the boil/fermentation process.

The original recipie i started with called for pumpkin pie filling in the boil. I have seen recipies for pie filling, canned pumpkin and cut up pumpkin, all both baked and unbaked. The difference between pie filling and canned puree is the pie filling has spices added already.

What about pumpkin pie filling mixed with rum (or another alcohol) to help sanitize it, then racking on it in secondary? Just a thought.

While i do mine as a extract with specialty grains i use one large 30oz can of plain pumpkin filling and one 30oz can of pre spiced filling. do you want a pumpkin ale or do you want a clove/cinnamon/brown sugar spice ale.

While i do mine as a extract with specialty grains i use one large 30oz can of plain pumpkin filling and one 30oz can of pre spiced filling. do you want a pumpkin ale or do you want a clove/cinnamon/brown sugar spice ale.

do you add to boil or rack on secondary?

What about pumpkin pie filling mixed with rum (or another alcohol) to help sanitize it, then racking on it in secondary? Just a thought.

The filling is canned/pasteurized and the beer is has alcohol and is loaded with yeast. I think infection isn't a risk.

I'd keep the pumpkin out of the fermentors, myself. What a mess. Mash it all day.

The filling is canned/pasteurized and the beer is has alcohol and is loaded with yeast. I think infection isn't a risk.

I'd keep the pumpkin out of the fermentors, myself. What a mess. Mash it all day.

MASH it?? Or you mean boil it?

Add it to the mash with a half pound of rice hulls. Read up on it if you want to. 99% of pumpkin beers get their pumpkin added either in the mash or the boil.

Yeah I was just reading another thread where the guy carmelizes, boils, then strains the liquid into the HLT...adds water and heats to strike, then mashes with the pumpkin-y water.

Two things at work here. The pumpkin itself has no "spice" type flavor. I use plain pumpkin filling in the mash. I find this adds color and body but does little for the flavor. If I am going for that spiced flavor I use all spice, clove, etc. in the secondary. I have not used pumpkin pie filling. Also it is going to vary depending on your base beer. I have a pumpkin abbey recipe which the spices come thorough. I also am making a Porter based which I am aging on oak and going for a different feel which I am laying low on the spices.

To those who say real pumpkin has no flavor when boiled in water and not roasted with sugar...

Peel, chop (1-inch cubes), and reserve the pulp of a sugar pumpkin. Next, cook down/sweat off the seasoned sugar pumpkin in a large skillet or dutch oven on medium-low heat for 15 minutes. The pumpkin should be in one layer. I get the pan hot first, add some oil, butter, then the pumpkin, salt, and perhaps some mixed Fall spices if you want, but not necessary (no sugar whatsoever). Be careful not brown, roast, or saute the pumpkin. You're just cooking it down, getting it soft, and evaporating some of the retained water to concentrate the flavor.

Afterward, you'll want to cover the pumpkin with enough hot water and add the reserved pulp/stringy guts. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 30-60 minutes with no lid on the pan/pot. Correct seasoning. When done, blend everything together, strain through a fine mesh sieve, and you'll have yourself some flavorful pumpkin stock. You want liquid, not puree. The water to solid ratio should be more leaning toward water.

That squashy flavor can be accentuated even more if you add some butternut squash to the mix. This would make a great base for a squash soup. It's clean, natural, and not muddled with sugar and other ingredients. Pure squash.

------

I was thinking about using this concept in some way to better a pumpkin beer sans the oil and butter.

tre9er said:
do you add to boil or rack on secondary?

I add mine to the very end of the boil and let it sit in the primary for at least three weeks. Also Libby's canned pumpkin is perservative free and shouldnt cause issues with fermentation. You dont have to add to the boil either. All canned products in america are sterile in the first place so bacteria would only be from poor technique or bad luck. If you choose to add pumpkin after fermentation ir even adding more if you rack to secondary, i suggest to completley sanatize the outside of the can and your opener to avoid any contamination. Pumpkin ales need alot of time to really mature and settle out. nothing is worse then 5 months after brewing and finding infection.

bigbeergeek said:

This is also a good point. Since i add my pumpkin to the boil i have a **** ton of trub in the primary. Most of this can be filtered but for tasted and consitency i like to leave it in. I suggest at least 3 weeks in primary to allow most of the pumpkin to settle out to the bottom. Then I rack it to a secondary and age for at least 4 months. Trust me, its worth the wait. if you drink to early it will probably taste like a generic brown ale and you will miss the wonderful pumpkin and spice notes.

Have any of you ever heard of doing a recipe that never goes above 150 F? I'm going to brew one tonight where you never bring it to a full boil. I'm pretty sure that the boil is crucial in beer and reduces the chance of contamination and tannins etc.

Have any of you ever heard of doing a recipe that never goes above 150 F? I'm going to brew one tonight where you never bring it to a full boil. I'm pretty sure that the boil is crucial in beer and reduces the chance of contamination and tannins etc.

Plus it's near impossible to get bitterness from hops at those temps. Where did you get this "recipe"?

Back