40 Mins Into My First Non Mr Beer Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I Am Making A German Raspberry Wheat For My First Brew Outside Of My Mr Beer Kit. Damn Does The House Smell Great. I Sanatized The Heck Out Of Everything, And Boiled The Water Earlier Today For The Primary. I Almost Had A Boil Over Then It Went Away Quick. I Am Going To Check The Gravity And Temp In About 1.5 Hrs After The Wort Cools. Any Suggestions For A Green Pea Like Me????? Thanks Guys.

One of my brewing buddies recently made a raspberry ale that called for the addition of artifical raspberry flavoring. The beer came out pretty good, but the raspberry taste was, well... quite artificial.

I Finally Got It Cooled Down Enough To Add To Primary, Checked The Og At 1.044 (1.046 Corrected For Temp) Which Is Perfect, Then Added Yeast To It, I Love Those Slap Packs. Its Going To Be My First Wheat Brew. Should I Add The Fruit Juice That Came With It (4 Oz ) Or Add Real Raspberries To The Secondary That Have Been Pastuerized?? Which Would Be Better From Your Experiences???

I would add 'em to the secondary. Then after it's in there for 2 or 2.5 weeks, rack to another carboy and let it sit for 4 or 5 days. It'll clear up nicely that way. :D

I had a slap pack going for three days without the pouch swelling. Pitched it in spite of it and did alright in the fermentator. Still not sure why that one didn't perform as advertised. I was set to back it with a dry yeast, but was unnecessary.

Genghis77 said:
I had a slap pack going for three days without the pouch swelling. Pitched it in spite of it and did alright in the fermentator. Still not sure why that one didn't perform as advertised. I was set to back it with a dry yeast, but was unnecessary.

When you pitched the yeast, did you check to see if you broke the yeast nutrient package on the inside? I have a hell of a time trying to smack and break that inner package. So far I have only broke 1 out of 3.

As for the fruit flavoring on the weat. I have only used extract with my wheat beers. I add it to the secondary when kegging and the bottling bucket when bottling. Many here will tell you that the extract will give you a soapy taste. I have only used the apricot flavor and have had good results in the past. I will be adding it to the secondary on my Heffeweisen that is in the primary.

To pop the small package what i do it pinch it to one side and then put my palm on it and press down w/ all of my wieght. So far i've pop'd them all. Just some take a little more effort than others.

I like White Labs better and can see the action in my starter. The inner pack was broken on the Wyeast. Why the envelope didn't expand still a mystery. But the good thing is that the yeast still worked in spite of it. I had thought the yeast dead.

John, Why Are You Shouting?

I just had a mishap the other night with a smack pack. My roommate smacked it so hard the whole package burst. Still turned out great, and our beer is bubbling like mad and made it almost to the blow-off tube.

Back